how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rg13

join:2013-01-31

Mailer, what does it mean?

Click for full size
Got this is in the mail today. Do this mean I will be getting uverse tv?

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
The keyword there is "may". I had similar flyers mailed to my previous address that most definitely did not qualify for u-verse. One street over did but I didn't. I think they just send those out to an entire area when they install a VRAD nearby.

The flyers I got were colorful though. I'm assuming they figured that they could make cheaper flyers by only using two colors of ink and at the same time employ a marketing gimmick that makes it look like someone made a B&W copy of the color flyer and wrote the notes with a pen.

rg13

Yeh. What I figure. I'm going to call them anyway and tell em to hook me up.

rg13

reply to rg13
Click for full size
BTW, know what this is?

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
It looks like a VRAD.

rg13

Really? Cool. I thought so but wasnt sure. This box is about 5 miles from me, out of town. My service works out of the main office though- I think.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
General rule, if it looks like an oversized fridge, it's a VRAD

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Paralel:

General rule, if it looks like an oversized fridge, it's a VRAD

LOL!

Also, usually all of the VRADs I saw that are not pole mounted had some sort of vent holes near the top like the one in the picture.

Here in CT, the newer VRADs being installed on the poles are either medium or extra large. They installed a vrad a year or two ago on a street we pass by and the thing is giant on the pole.

Not_Today

@comcast.net
reply to rg13
said by rg13:

Really? Cool. I thought so but wasnt sure. This box is about 5 miles from me, out of town. My service works out of the main office though- I think.

If the RT farm with a VRAD is 5 miles from you, you won't be getting service from it. The max distance for getting VRAD based U-verse service is ~3000 ft from the VRAD. If you currently get service from a CO based DSLAM (and there is not a VRAD closer to you), then (if you actually can get any kind of U-verse service), your new U-verse service will be IPDSLAM based ADSL2+ service (and you would have to be very close to the DSLAM to be able to get speeds any faster than is currently available from ATM based aDSL).

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
Click for full size
Off topic, but how about this one? Not ideal fridge shape (front is not flat) and seems too shallow (front to back).

rg13

reply to Not_Today
Hmm, I'll hope for the best. I did call sales said maybe in a few months. Nah I want get anything out of that box. I know a lot of folks that will get service out of it though. Glad they're getting a nice connection. Sure they will be to.

Here I'm on 6/.5 and mostly the up side is aggravating. Another reason I wish we could get the VDSL flavor. Any word on tv or pair bonding for ADSL2+?

For kicks and giggles here are my stats. I don't know how many feet away but there are a few DSLAMs, RTs and things around the area.

Model: 2701HG-B Gateway
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
DSL Channel: Fast
DSLAM: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {0x9162}
ATM PVC Info: 8/35
ATM Encapsulation: Routed LLC
DSL Down Up
Current Rate: 8124 kbs 510 kbs
Max Rate: 19545 kbs 1259 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin: 26.9 dB 23.2 dB
Current Attenuation: 15.9 dB 0.0 dB
Current Output Power: 19.0 dBm -1.2 dBm

Not_Today

@comcast.net
reply to brookeKrige
said by brookeKrige:

Off topic, but how about this one? Not ideal fridge shape (front is not flat) and seems too shallow (front to back).

I have no way of knowing what equipment is in that particular cabinet. An AT&T employee with access to your area's equipment records could probably find out based on the markings, but I am not an AT&T employee.

Not_Today

@comcast.net
reply to rg13
Based on the stats you posted, you are already on an ATM based ADSL2+ DSLAM (G.DMT2+ is 2wire's way of saying ADSL2+). The remainder of the stats indicate to me that if your connection was switched to an IPDSLAM at the same location, you should easily qualify for 12mbps service, and possibly for 18mbps service. As for TV service or pair bonding for the IPDSLAM based services, that is technically possible, but to my knowledge AT&T is not doing that anywhere (yet).

rg13

Why are they not upgrading COs anything past 12/18? Will they see something comparable to what the VRADs are getting? You would think they would be an easy upgrade.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1
reply to rg13
Im little confused. Do you have 2701HG-B Gateway, white color OR 2701HGV-B Gateway black and silver?
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to brookeKrige
First Gen VRAD, these are the ones that caused all the complaints over a "refrigerator in my lawn"

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
| First Gen VRAD

Thanks! Does that bring any limitations to speak of, like does not support K-cards?

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
I am not familiar with the innards, just the outsides.

sloe

join:2007-11-09
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·ooma
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Not_Today
said by Not_Today :

The max distance for getting VRAD based U-verse service is ~3000 ft from the VRAD.

said by Not_Today :

As for TV service or pair bonding for the IPDSLAM based services, that is technically possible, but to my knowledge AT&T is not doing that anywhere (yet).

I am 4,300 ft from my RT.