how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHox

join:2012-05-31
reply to TheHox

Re: IT consultant pissing match?

Well since it was my project, the owner wants me to work with this guy.

In fact, he is almost 2 hours away, so this guy said he will have me do the install of the hardware. He asked for access to the router, I created him an account and gave him the IP:PORT of winbox. He can't figure out how to connect, and I'm not going to tell him to use winbox either.

The owner and I get along, and I hate to just walk away from this, but I am tempted to tell the owner that I am just not comfortable with this guy and his plan or lack there of, and would rather not work with him. (As I feel I am going to be doing all the dirty work making it work, while this guy gets the credit and money for me doing so). Seems like I'm damned if I do or damned if I don't.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
Yeah...yer in a pickle. Though if the guy doesn't know how to use Winbox, charge him an hourly support fee.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA

2 recommendations

reply to TheHox
said by TheHox:

He can't figure out how to connect, and I'm not going to tell him to use winbox either.

You should.

Your duty is to help your customer's project, and it's so incredibly common that consultants get into turf contests and passive-aggressive behavior — to the detriment of the customer — that the high road is to always be helpful.

I have decent networking chops but can't follow the guy's reasoning, but it's not jumping out at me like it's guaranteed BS. Maybe he's really really good and you can learn something.

But deliberately being unhelpful is a bad consulting strategy from pretty much every direction.

TheHox

join:2012-05-31

1 recommendation

Well if his expertise is above mine, then yes of course I will tag along and suck up any knowledge I can. But, from what I can tell, I don't feel that is the case. I've asked quite a few people now that I highly respect and none of them can agree or confirm his approach to this. (In addition to this forum which as of yet nobody has agreed with anything he said)

So rather than be this guys patsy, I have to find a professional way advise the owner that I do not agree with this guys plan. I can either do it for him correctly, or let him go on his own, as I am not in the business of helping other IT consults do their job and make a name for themselves. I can do it myself, for myself.

Either way it does sound like I may be coming off aggressive to the owner, but I am trying to look out for him and myself. In the end the owner is just sick of the tech crap and just wants the internet working with no tenant complaints so he can move on to the next development.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA

1 recommendation

said by TheHox:

But, from what I can tell, I don't feel that is the case. I've asked quite a few people now that I highly respect and none of them can agree or confirm his approach to this. (In addition to this forum which as of yet nobody has agreed with anything he said)

Ok, but there's a difference between having trusted people call BS, and having trusted people say they don't quite follow. From what you've told us, I don't think we have enough information to know that this guy is a bozo, and it's premature to bail on your guy.

Dig in: I am not quite following what you're trying to accomplish here and would feel a lot more comfortable if I had a handle on the game plan. Can you elaborate a bit on this for me? Ask more detailed questions, etc. This is not only helping you understand the technical approach, but it lets you gauge the other guy as a consultant.

* He could blow you off, which means he's probably BSing
* He could explain it, and make it clear he knows what he's about
* He could explain it, tipping his hand that he doesn't know this stuff.

You should absolutely tell your customer that you have strong reservations, but be clear that it's no more than your spidey sense, you can't back it up yet. And until you have actual evidence, you're going to be helpful not because you agree with the other guy, but because you're supporting your customer.

If at some point you get the "Aha!" insight - for good or for bad - then you now have concrete information to go forward. But spidey sense is not enough - it just looks petty and petulant been there done that.

Do everything you can to support the project, which means falling all over yourself to be helpful; at some point you'll have enough information, and you won't have been engaging in a passive-aggressive turf battle (that the customer will absolutely pick up on) that makes you look bad.

When in doubt, be helpful.

Steve — who's been consulting for 30 years
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | KA8CMY | Southern California USA | my web site

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA
reply to Steve
Yeah, steve and then they hack your web site... =P