share rss forum feed

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC

AIO printer that won't stop printing if one color goes dry?

I am looking to replace my Kodak AIO (all in one) printer for one very simple reason. I fell for the "lowest cost of ink" claim. Not only it sucks ink like crazy and I actually ended up spending more on ink than with my old trusty HP Deskjet printer from 1999 (yes, actually that old) but it also uses color even when printing black and white and causes the color cartridge to empty even when only printing mostly text. To add insult to injury if one of the cartridges goes dry it stops printing and becomes a brick becuase i won't even scan. With the HP if one color went dry I could still keep printing in black and white no problem.

The issue is that I have been looking at reviews of other printer brands of similar features in Amazon to see the good and the bad and all of the AIO's that I have seen in the price range I am looking for have the same problem. They will all stop printing if one of the cartridges goes dry. They don't give you the option of using just black or just color.

Is there any AIO printer around that does not suffer from this problem? And yes, I am looking for ink jet, not laser. Fax is a plus but not required. I don't like Lexmark.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
Back in the early 2000s I had a Brother AIO ink jet that did the same thing. I don't recall if it used color when you printed black only (though you should be able to force the driver to black and white only). It did refuse to let me scan when a cartridge was out though. It promptly found the trash after that incident. I refused to have a printer that told me when I could and could not use a function that doesn't even NEED the cartridges to do it's job. I loved the printer otherwise but that no scan issue was unacceptable to me.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
The thing is that with Kodak printers even if you set it in the driver to print only black and white it still uses color ink. There is even a class actuion suit against Kodak due to this.

»www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit- ··· lawsuit#

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to printscreen
Anyone?? I am now really pissed with this piece of junk. Black cartridge half full (supposedly) and color giving me warning it is low (but should still print) and pages are coming out blank!

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I know you said you don't want a laser printer, but it is the best solution. Use a $75-100 laser printer for all of your black and white printing. Save the inkjet for when must have color. I went with a Brother HL-2270DW. You can use it as a local USB printer, or as a network printer (wired and/or wireless). It automagically prints on both sides of the paper and can pump out up to 27 pages per minute. Cheap aftermarket toner cartridges are also available. It works great and it works EVERY TIME someone sends it a print job.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
Seconded, laser is awesome. I didn't even think about a two-printer setup either, that would be easy to do.

After having to deal with both inkjet and laser printers at work for a few years now, I've grown to hate inkjets. Sure, the printer itself is cheap, but the consumables add up quick.
--
KI6RIT

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to HarryH3
I have to agree with this. For text only printing, a laser really is your best bet. Just make sure to research the cost of the toner cartridges. Years ago we picked up some Konica Minolta printers at work (1400W, 1300W) and we specifically went with them because we could get the toner for about $25 a pop. And that was official toner too, not aftermarket. I don't think I've seen them that cheap anymore but it just goes to show there are still some cheap options out there.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to printscreen
I print mostly black but the need to print color or some picture comes along every so often. If I had the space that would be an option but there is no space for two printers unfortunately.

I originally had an HP DeskJet 710C along a Canon scanner which fell behind the times even though both work perfectly fine. The printer doesn't even have USB and I had to use an adapter. And then the HP driver didn't work in Windows 7 without some sort of hack. The scanner was not supported at all under Windows 7. No driver is available. Although the HP cartridges were expensive at $40 each they lasted like two years and the printer even with its age worked perfectly fine. I still needed the scanner so I decided to go with an AiO to join both into one due to space constraints. Then along came the Kodak printer. Yes, cartridges were "cheap" but in two years I have put 6 black and 6 color cartridges. Then eventually found that the color cartridge is depleted even when you are not printing in color. So much for lowest cost of ink.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
I used to have a HP Business InkJet that was similar to the 710c you mentioned. It had no issues with ink cartridges using color when it should have used black. Plus at my dad's office they had a plotter that used the same cartridges so he was able to "ride along" when they did an order and got some cheap cartridges too.

To get out of the trap you're in now your best bet is likely going to be looking into the business line of printers. I don't think the OfficeJet qualifies though, and it's been a while since I've really looked into these to know what is good and what isn't but I doubt you will run into this issue with a business grade printer.

It's pitiful it's come to that

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to printscreen
Really depend on your price range but most HP, Xerox, Oki and some Samsung colour lasers and color laser AIO will let you print with a empty colour toner cartridge (some might prompt for an override).

That said even many printers that are targeted to business work groups these days will lock up when it determines a cartridge is empty. So paying more doesn't always mean the printer will let you decide whether to print or not.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to printscreen
We have an Epson (Workforce 845 I believe) that has no cyan that still prints black fine.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to printscreen
Our Epson Workforce 840 when it runs out of ink Stops and waits...

Now by this I mean literally runs out of ink, not the first "Warning Low Ink -- Hit a key to continue"...... I mean when it literally runs out of ink... it stops.
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to printscreen
Just about every color inkjet uses color even when printing black. All of them should be in that lawsuit.

I have a Canon Pixma MX432, my black ink ran completely out but it is not forcing me to replace the cartridge. The scanner still works, it allowed me to at least make a color copy using the scanner and will even let me attempt a black only copy, and still lets me print even though it won't work for black.

I still have some color so I don't know if it will keep working after the color cartridge is empty.

PinkyThePig
Premium
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to printscreen
As a possible suggestion you could go with the 100 B&W laser and if you only do rare color print jobs just use something like kinkos to print them out. IIRC color prints are ~10 cents and what's cheaper, 3 miles of gas and 2 dollars in prints twice a year or a 50 dollar printer and a 30 dollar cartridge you buy once a year.

If you were wondering about far out alternatives... I personally use a custom setup thermal printer for most of my printing needs. i.e. If I need a shopping list or barebones picture etc. my print costs are ~130 for the initial printer setup supplies and then 1 cent per foot of stuff I print on the receipt paper. Currently though I can only print to it from my android phone though (at least automatically, I could do an awkward manual print from anywhere).

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to redxii
The lawsuit was partly for false advertising: "lowest cost of ink" claim which is not true. The cartridges may be cheap as I said before but I actually ended spending more on ink than I would have if I kept using the old HP printer. One of the problems with the old HP was that cartridges were becoming harder to find and I tried twice to refill (at Walgreens, not by myself) a spent cartridge and it never worked for some reason.

In the end I went for a HP Photosmart 7520. I did not need the "photo" part because I rarely print pictures but Iwent with it because every other feature met my needs and most importantly fit the space in the desk. The other option was HP OfficeJet 6700 but its footprint was too large. Both were on about the same price range. Both also use separate cartridges for each color (including a fifth "photo" black in the 7520). I am using the "setup" cartridges that come with the printer and with all the testing and setup I have done printing a few pictures the ink levels are barely down. In the Kodak the cartridges would be down to 75% already, specially the color cartridge after printing four 4x6 pictures and one full color page. I am betting the "setup' cartridges will last longer than the regular Kodak cartridges.

And then I am not even getting into a couple of features I missed in the Kodak that I am glad the HP has.

The Kinkos alternative would be nice if I had one such place nearby but I don't.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
I guess we're spoiled in the US. I have never printed a photo at home. I can upload the files and have them printed on real photo paper, with waterproof inks, that looks like a processed photo from the film days for 19 cents each and they're ready by the time I can drive to the nearest Walmart, Walgreens, etc. If I don't need them right away, they offer a service that takes a few days and only costs 9 cents per photo.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
Kinko's et al are definitely options, but there is a certain value and price to the convenience of having something printed right here, right now.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to HarryH3
I do that for pictures. There is a Walgreens at walking distance from my home and when I want to print pictures I upload them to their site and pick them up later. The comment about Kinkos was about printing documents in color which I do more often then printing pictures but I don't have a similar place near my home.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to printscreen
said by printscreen:

Anyone?? I am now really pissed with this piece of junk. Black cartridge half full (supposedly) and color giving me warning it is low (but should still print) and pages are coming out blank!

An update on this. I later found that the print head went bad as well and that's why pages were coming out blank. Found it the hard way with a new cartridge. No amount of cleaning, including taking out the print head, putting a few drops of mineral spirits and blowing with a compressed air can fixed it. This means that I can't even give the printer away because whoever gets it would need to buy a new print head. At least the new cartridge was a remanufactured one and Kodad did not get a penny from me one last time.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to printscreen
Buy a laser printer cost per page is cheap
and use ink jet for color prints

IF you get a brother lazer mono chrome for 50$ on sale(NEW)

about 1,500 pages on the starter cartage./10,000 pages on the starter drum

This is what I do since it's cheaper to get a new printer every time instead of buying a cartage every time replacement is needed since a new cartage is $70 to $100.

you can get 2 printers for that price

also after your done you can dump the printer on ebay for $50 to $65

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Don't have space for two printers. I could not go with the top candidate to replace the printer due to size and had to go with the second candidate just because it fit the space available.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to redxii
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by redxii:

Just about every color inkjet uses color even when printing black. All of them should be in that lawsuit

Backtracking a little bit here. The HP driver has an option for printing with black ink only. When you use that, any grayscale comes out looking a bit like halftoning. And if you look at it microscopically (like taking a real close macro shot and zoom the image) you only see pure black dots, not colored or gray dots miked together. There was no such option in the Kodak printer driver. You could only select color or grayscale and no similar option as black only. I can understand that when printing images in grayscale color is used to allow for better quality but when you are printing pure black text, there is no need to use color ink because it does not provide any tangible benefit, so the color ink is wasted by design to make you buy more. I even had color turned off by defalt in the print settings and had to select color on purpose if I wanted to print in color. Yet, color ink was being depleted even when printing documents only having black text and no or very few images.

For comparison purposes, this is what the HP does when printing using the black ink only option vs grayscale. It is the same image.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
If I recall correctly the printer driver for the old HP 710C had also this option of black only in the Windows XP driver but did not in the Windows 7 driver.

printscreen

Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to printscreen
Well, just a quick update about this printer after three months of use. Two of the five ink cartridges (black and cyan) ran out of ink for the first time. These were the setup cartridges that came with the printer and lasted about 165 pages. Not bad for being setup cartridges. The magenta, yellow and photo black are still good to go for a little longer. And most importantly, the printer never stopped operating. Ink just runs out but the printer keeps running. It did warn me about low black ink a few days ago. That means I can still use the printer for printing black text (I had a replacement at hand and I had already purchased replacement color inks online a few days ago) while I get the cyan cartridge. Unlike the Kodak I replaced which stopped working until I put a new tri-color cartridge and would not print at all.