how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TCW

join:2013-08-25
Clermont, FL

[Prism TV] CL Prism/phone/10mbps Internet installed, but can't g

My mom has had CL for phone and painfully slow 1.5 mbps Internet with Dish for tv for a while. She just switched to the CL triple bundle with 10 Mbps Internet and Prism TV. The install was yesterday and when the tech turned on the tv he could only get SD, no HD. Apparently he made some calls and his final conclusion was that she is 7200 ft from the remote DSLAM and therefore, would not get an HD stream.

Of course, the sales rep who took the order over the phone never mentioned this possibility. In that initial call for my mom, I did ask about upgrading to 25 Mbps and she said it wasn't available along with Prism TV. She said that 15 Mbps were dedicated to the TV signal and 10 Mbps for the Internet, but with the TV off, Internet speeds could jump to nearly 20 Mbps.

Latest ookla speed test shows Ping: 75 ms, dwn: 17.11 Mbps, up: .97 Mbps.

Does it seem logical that she could get 17.11 down and not have enough juice for HD?

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink

Re: [Prism TV] CL Prism/phone/10mbps Internet installed, but can

It depends on what is playing the HD. That's plenty for Netflix or Youtube but Prism claims to be able to do 4 channels at a time so it wouldn't be enough for that. If you are at 7200' you are lucky to even get 17.1 so I'd forget about Prism and just stay with Dish.

TCW

Clermont, FL
She only has one TV and even though her plan is for 180 or so channels, about half of those are the HD channels. When you go to any HD channels a message comes up that says, "All HD services are in use. For HD viewing options, press OK". When you press OK it says, "to watch HD: end HD viewing on another TV receiver, or select an HD recording to stop." Of course, there is no HD recording going on and no other receiver to interrupt.

If they had said upfront that she was only going to get half the channels she paid for and had to get used to SDtv again, she would never have switched. The tech seemed puzzled, so it just made me wonder if it might be fixable. If not, she's definitely going back to Dish, but of course there is a service fee for them to hook that back up. She was just trying to get better internet speed and save a few bucks on cable. Not cool!

Thanks for your input.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
It sounds like the box is set to record other channels and you don't have enough bandwidth to both record and watch at the same time. Check to see if anything is scheduled to be recorded and stop it or reset the box to default settings if it has an option for that.

TCW

Clermont, FL
Well, there were no scheduled or even previous recordings, so I reset the box and all the HD channels magically appeared! Honestly, I never thought to do that. I just assumed that the tech would have tried that even before calling his office when he realized she wasn't getting HD. Mom's happy! Thanks ArizonaSteve!

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
It must have been setup to start recording something all the time as soon as it was turned on. Maybe someone had tried using it before you? Well, anyway glad it works.