Search similar:

uniqs

Cox_PHX
@cox.net

Cox_PHX

Anon

[AZ] Upsteam channel bonding, Ultimate

Click for full size
I am on Ultimate tier in the Phoenix area, and have an SB6141. I am seeing 8 downstream channels bonded, and my download speeds are great.

However, I usually only bond 2 upstream channels (I do occasionally see 3 but never 4 like I see other report).

Here's a snip from my modem status page: »i.imgur.com/0WH9qq6.jpg

Any suggestions as to why I'm not getting decent upload?

Metal Head
Premium Member
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA

Metal Head

Premium Member

What firmware do you have?

»192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm
cmos100
join:2004-08-24
Lafayette, LA

cmos100 to Cox_PHX

to Cox_PHX
Judging by your upstreams levels, the modem is going into partial mode, possibly because it can't transmit high enough to overcome attenuation. Maybe an SNR problem also, but I would see if I could get those upstream levels down by rearranging or removing splitters and see if that helps.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to Cox_PHX

Premium Member

to Cox_PHX
What does the wire layout look like in your house? Large house? Is it a long distance to the pole at the street? But I also agree that the modem will only lock onto higher upstream channels if your Tx is below 50. Im sure theres also some load balancing going on too. At Least you know your area is capable of 4 upstream channels. Thats good.

Cox_PHX
@cox.net

Cox_PHX

Anon

said by Optimus2357:

What does the wire layout look like in your house? Large house? Is it a long distance to the pole at the street? But I also agree that the modem will only lock onto higher upstream channels if your Tx is below 50. Im sure theres also some load balancing going on too. At Least you know your area is capable of 4 upstream channels. Thats good.

Distance o the pole is very short, as the pole is literally in my back yard. There is only one splitter between the modem and the cox box.
Cox_PHX

Cox_PHX to Metal Head

Anon

to Metal Head
said by Metal Head:

What firmware do you have?

»192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm

Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to Cox_PHX

Premium Member

to Cox_PHX
Feels like a wiring problem inside. Could be some kind of water damage at the house box, but maybe try bypassing the splitter? If your Tx is anymore then 4db less without the splitter, splitter is broken. Assuming this is a 2way splitter.

Cox_PHX
@cox.net

Cox_PHX

Anon

It's a 4-way splitter inside the cox box. One leg goes to a run about 30' long that goes to the cable modem, another leg goes to a room with a TV, and another leg goes to a rather long run that goes the full length of the house, into another 2-way splitter that feeds 2 other rooms.

Totally removing those splitters is not really an option, but I agree it may be good to do some testing by removing/replacing them at least temporarily to see if I can decrease the db on the upstream channel.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Ok if the splitter is in the Cox box I say call Cox and get a Tech. Its unlikely to be the 30' run so that either leaves the splitter or the signal is bad coming off the pple.

Cox_PHX
@cox.net

Cox_PHX

Anon

Just for kicks I may use a coax coupler and temporarily connect the cable modem directly to the main output of the cox box, no splitters at all. That should tell me what the signal from the pole is like.

Krak
@cox.net

Krak

Anon

said by Cox_PHX :

Just for kicks I may use a coax coupler and temporarily connect the cable modem directly to the main output of the cox box, no splitters at all. That should tell me what the signal from the pole is like.

And if that fixes it, put a two-way splitter where the Cox connection comes in, one leg of it feeding the coax that connects to your modem, then put he other leg of the two-way splitter into a THREE-way splitter that feeds the rest of your house.