uniqs
xPanManX
join:2001-09-18
Maryland Heights, MO

1 edit

xPanManX

Recommendation

Greetings,

I'm looking for a wireless router that can be configured to operate as an N-only, 5GHz AP across 100' of open space. It must have WPA2 security. It must be able to serve DHCP. It must be able to operate without any connection to the Internet.

Can you recommend a starting point for my search?

Thank you --

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

»www.streakwave.com/Itemd ··· ocoM5-US
xPanManX
Maryland Heights, MO

xPanManX

Thanks, John, but isn't that just a WAP? I need to serve DHCP.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by xPanManX:

Thanks, John, but isn't that just a WAP? I need to serve DHCP.

Precisely...

I guess it would be best to know generally what your intended application is, since there are many options. Some description of the (to be) connected equipment would be useful, too.
xPanManX
Maryland Heights, MO

1 recommendation

xPanManX

I'm expanding my private network for the control of live performance audio equipment. Reference »www.allen-heath.com/UK/P ··· veSeries for more information.

Each of four musicians will have an iPad by which they will control their individual stage monitor mix using the OneMix app. They'll be within 30' line-of-sight of the wireless router.

Generally the front-of-house mix is performed from the side of the stage, over a wired connection to a Windows 8 computer running the iLive Editor application. When a true front-of-house mix position is used, a second Windows 8 system will be used, again, over a wired connection. An iPad will be used for remote tweaks, usually within 100' line-of-sight of the wireless router.

The Windows 8 systems and the wireless router will connect to the MixRack's inbuilt 10/100 Ethernet switch. The MixRack itself has no ability to serve DHCP.

The wireless router will provide an SSID and DHCP to the iPADs and Windows 8 systems. The MixRack will use a static IP address.

The 5GHz-only requirement is due to the proliferation of 2.4GHz spread-spectrum wireless entertainment systems used by vocalists and instrumentalists. Even the most expensive and stable of these systems can and do wreak havoc on nearby 2.4GHz A/B/G/N networks. It seems to me that the best way to avoid conflict is to move my wireless network to the 5GHz frequency band.

Thank you --

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box to xPanManX

Premium Member

to xPanManX
Most routers don't need to be connected to the internet to be used as a DHCP server.

With that said, Quantum Beam is interesting.
EngeniusTech ESR1750
xPanManX
Maryland Heights, MO

xPanManX

said by Juke Box:
Most routers don't need to be connected to the internet to be used as a DHCP server.
Thanks, yes, I know. My concern is for the Linksys routers which seem to require an Internet connection to enable WPA2.
said by Juke Box:
With that said, Quantum Beam is interesting. EngeniusTech ESR1750
Checking it out, thanks!