Abyss1992
Premium Member
join:2012-08-18
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992 to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna

Re: [Exede] What is Exede Evolution.

I love how when I comment on anything I kill the thread as nobody seems to have a counterpoint to what I say in these matters.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by Abyss1992:

I love how when I comment on anything I kill the thread as nobody seems to have a counterpoint...

Next time you get petro, just tell the clerk its overpriced, and you will only give 25 cents per gallon, like it was in the 1960s.

Oh companies offer services....pick-n-choose...but let them have feedback, like this service is overpriced, and explain why, like because user would be using less usage than if on a 10 Gig plan, but paying more for this "Gee Whiz" service.

With constructive criticism, a company may LISTEN...of course, when Exede offered the 7.5 Gig plan, it took a "club" for a wakeup call

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979 to Abyss1992

Premium Member

to Abyss1992
said by Abyss1992:

I love how when I comment on anything I kill the thread as nobody seems to have a counterpoint to what I say in these matters.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

ViaSat is charging you for your bytes because:

1) They can, it's more profitable to do so, and they need to money to build and launch ViaSat-2.

2) They have to in order to keep their speeds near the advertised "up to" level. ViaSat's goal is to get around 1 million customers onto ViaSat-1. 1 million customers all trying to watch Netflix and YouTube at once isn't going to work.

If you feel that unlimited Internet usage is some sort of basic human right, then feel free to petition your government to finance unlimited usage (with debt). I'm sure that ViaSat and Echostar would happily go along with such a plan. That would be fine with me too.

Abyss1992
Premium Member
join:2012-08-18
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992

Premium Member

said by james1979:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

ViaSat is charging you for your bytes because:

1) They can, it's more profitable to do so, and they need to money to build and launch ViaSat-2.

2) They have to in order to keep their speeds near the advertised "up to" level. ViaSat's goal is to get around 1 million customers onto ViaSat-1. 1 million customers all trying to watch Netflix and YouTube at once isn't going to work.

If you feel that unlimited Internet usage is some sort of basic human right, then feel free to petition your government to finance unlimited usage (with debt). I'm sure that ViaSat and Echostar would happily go along with such a plan. That would be fine with me too.

1. More profitable yes but they also have to think about customer satisfaction.

2. Then they should have have enforced the DAP during the first few months of service and not show that they could handle none metered. I doupt 1 million people would be watching Netflix at once.

And unlimited usage is a basic human right, Suddenlink said 2 years ago that bandwidth is like water. This usage cap thing is recent and unneeded, Google Fiber is testament to that. We don't need the government to finance a thing.

Also with all those people with Dish Network or Directv that are watching those HD movies and TV shows how have they not used up all the bandwidth of the satellite? Heck normal shows would take tons of data itself.

BasilAR
WildBlue
join:2006-07-20
Parks, AR

BasilAR

said by Abyss1992:

Also with all those people with Dish Network or Directv that are watching those HD movies and TV shows how have they not used up all the bandwidth of the satellite? Heck normal shows would take tons of data itself.

This statement shows that you do not understand satellite internet.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to Abyss1992

to Abyss1992
said by Abyss1992:

And unlimited usage is a basic human right,

Verizon FiOS - "They say I have to bring my usage down by 80-90% by 9/15 or they will disconnect me on 9/18 so we are talking a bandwidth limit of 2-4 TB/month," claims houkouonchi

»Verizon Cracks Down on 'Excessive' FiOS Users [187] comments

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

2 edits

james1979 to Abyss1992

Premium Member

to Abyss1992
said by Abyss1992:

We're dealing with a »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duopoly . The goal of the Exede service is to be more desirable than HughesNet's service and vice versa. I'm thankful for the LNFZ and hope that the two don't engage in »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr ··· e_fixing .

And unlimited usage is a basic human right ... Suddenlink said 2 years ago that bandwidth is like water.

I had a water meter in every city in which I have lived. The more water that I used, the more it cost me. If water weren't metered, then everyone's rates would go way up as aquifers and lakes would be depleted as it would take more and more money to supply the cities with unlimited water. (In arid or seasonally dry areas, people like to water their lawns, preferring green over brown.)

Edit: The point of the Evolution plan is to offer an unlimited basic communication service - browsing and email. And they offer an unlimited phone service too. I have trouble understanding how unlimited video/audio entertainment could be considered a basic human right.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

3 edits

ExSatUser to Abyss1992

to Abyss1992
said by Abyss1992:

2. Then they should have have enforced the DAP during the first few months of service and not show that they could handle none metered. I doupt 1 million people would be watching Netflix at once.

And unlimited usage is a basic human right, Suddenlink said 2 years ago that bandwidth is like water. This usage cap thing is recent and unneeded, Google Fiber is testament to that. We don't need the government to finance a thing.

This post obviously is filled with inaccuracies.

1) They didn't enforce the DAP the first few months because a) they didn't have that many customers on the system yet and b) they didn't have a usage meter that was accurate (some might still question this accuracy from time to time .

2) Unlimited internet usage a basic human right? That statement isn't even worthy of a reply.

3) DirecTv and Dish broadcast a few hundred channels to millions of people who select programming off those channels. Satellite internet is sending unique, individual content to each and every one of its subscribers. For Viasat-1, that could mean up to 1 million different pieces of content at one time. To compare satellite television to satellite internet is laughable.

4) Viasat does provide 5 hours of unlimited internet content daily. I am more than thankful for that, as Hughesnet doesn't even give you that.

Don't like satellite internet? Go with some other service such as 4G or DSL or cable. Can't get any of those options? Move, because from the sound of things you are never going to be satisifed with satellite internet.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Abyss1992

to Abyss1992
said by Abyss1992:

Where else are you going to go for internet? If you had cable or DSL or fiber as options you'd be using that.

The point is they COULD and you have to account for that possibility.

No it's not.

Suddenlink said 2 years ago that bandwidth is like water. This usage cap thing is recent and unneeded, Google Fiber is testament to that. We don't need the government to finance a thing.

HUGE difference between fiber and satellite internet. And you clearly have no clue as to the limitations of satellite internet. The same type of people also don't understand why mobile internet can't be unlimited either. This stuff isn't magic. And it's not an unlimited resource either.

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

james1979 to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

"They say I have to bring my usage down by 80-90% by 9/15 or they will disconnect me on 9/18 so we are talking a bandwidth limit of 2-4 TB/month," claims houkouonchi

77 TB a month??? That really comes across as compulsive hoarding. I'm not using the misguided medical term "disorder" as many species of trees rely upon hoarding by rodents as a means of seed dispersal. (We're genuinely having some problems with pack rats (wood rats) around here.)
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

said by Abyss1992:

Verizon FiOS - "They say I have to bring my usage down by 80-90% by 9/15 or they will disconnect me on 9/18 so we are talking a bandwidth limit of 2-4 TB/month," claims houkouonchi

»Verizon Cracks Down on 'Excessive' FiOS Users [187] comments

yes but 2 TB = 2048 GB. About 82 times Excede's largest plan.

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

james1979

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

yes but 2 TB = 2048 GB. About 82 times Excede's largest plan.

The forum user was "reporting" about being limited to "only" 2-4 TB per month after downloading 77 TB in a month. I don't see how one person (or household) could actually "process" that amount of data in a month.