spc
Search similar:

uniqs

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

How can mobile version be disabled?

I don't see a link to the full version. What gives?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

which particular page do you find the "mobile version" hides or removes info that you are after?

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

1 recommendation

houkouonchi

said by justin:

which particular page do you find the "mobile version" hides or removes info that you are after?

Here is why I don't like the mobile version:

Unable to see forum views/uniques. Unable to see avatars. Unable to see the last user who made the last post on forum view. Different layout so I have to learn new ways to access things. Forced to a huge font size where way less text is seen on the screen at once requiring way more active scrolling (this is the biggest issue).

The whole reason I get a high resolution smart phone is so I don't have to deal with the mobile site version BS. Not having an option is pretty lame which I am guessing is the case since you are asking me this...

I really need to find an app that will change the user-agent on my phone...

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie to justin

to justin

said by justin:

Most 7' tablets are able to render regular web sites and there is no need to view the mobile version. On my two tablets I prefer the regular web site as I find it easier to navigate because I'm use to it.

One option that I've seen on lot of web sites is a link that lets you uses switch to regular web version if you are on a mobile device. I noticed that on eBay when using my cell phone.

Maybe BBR could add a link that would let mobile users use the regular version on their mobile devices.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

On a tablet - for example ipad mini - I see avatars, views etc. The site looks the same.

The squashing out of content *mainly* happens when the device reports its viewport dimensions are below 768px and again at 480px (not a tablet, but a phone). This isn't actually pixels, but represents more the size of the screen, 5" or below.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

On my tablet Firefox looks for the mobile version of the web site because it's a mobile browser. But in the settings you can request the Desktop version of the web site. I couldn't find that option on Safari.

I noticed when I access eBay on my cell that I get the mobile version but they offer a link to the Desktop version. Even on my cell I prefer to look at BBR regular version.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

DC DSL to houkouonchi

Premium Member

to houkouonchi
No problems with Chrome on a Nexus 7. A little extra padding or an alternate size for the toolbar/menu pads if a smaller form factor is detected would be nice, but zooming isn't a deal breaker.

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to justin

to justin
I am one of those uncomon people who like to have as small text as possible and have as much desktop real-state as possible so you can see as much as I can. I have been using 22 inch 4k monitors since 2005 with X-windows set at 75 PDI so fonts as small as possible. I have a mcbook pro retina which I run at its native 2880x1800 again with X set at 75 DPI (so very small fonts).

For a phone this usually means the mobile version zoomed out a bunch. You pretty much always will lose info with mobile versions of sites. In this case its some of the things I mentioned as well as the users info (location, join date, reviews) which I sometimes look at or on forum view when you want to see the who the top posters are, FAQ's, etc....

I do realize most people would prefer the mobile version but being locked into that choice doesn't make me happy. In the end I really probably need a changed user-agent to reduce my aggro for all the sites that either 1) force mobile version on you or 2) make it difficult to disable.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

Did you look in the footer?

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by justin:

Did you look in the footer?

I didn't see that as I haven't used my phone in the last few days for browsing. Awesome! Thanks for adding that.