spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Merlin50

@comcast.net
reply to wco

Re: [HD] Recent Direct TV to Comcast Switchers?

I just switched from directv to comcast. I am happy. I got a very good install and the internet speeds are 5 times the speed of DSL I had before. I formerly had directv HR22 which is an awful DVR-so slow to respond. Comcast DVRs (I did not get X1) are much better. HD picture is slightly better on Directv. ON demand is much better on comcast-directv does not really have it as you have to use your internet connection which in my situation was slow. I am getting more sports channels with PAC12 network. Channel HD vs SD lineup is screwed up on Comcast but you get use to it and they usually give you a prompt if the program is also available in HD-you hit enter and you go to the HD channel.

wco

@sbcglobal.net
So I try to order service, which would be a 2-year commitment, $120 a month the first year, $140 a month the second year.

I would use my own modem and buy a Tivo.

The option for install is $10 to ship out a self install kit or $40 for installation. I can pick up the kit because I know where the local office is. But online site doesn't give you that option.

Go to chat and they tell me I can't use self-install because the tap is cold, so I'd have to pay $40.

Has anyone been able to get this waived for new subscribers? They claim it would normally be $131. Like who would pay anywhere near that amount so they can pay $100+ a month?

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
if the tap is disconnected you have to pay the fee. But you can call Comcast and see what you get. Tell them you want to switch from directv.

wco

@sbcglobal.net
They said when I get my first bill, they would credit it, though it's on there now, in the email confirmation.

LoveHD

join:2011-07-31
reply to Merlin50
said by Merlin50 :

I just switched from directv to comcast. I am happy. I got a very good install and the internet speeds are 5 times the speed of DSL I had before. I formerly had directv HR22 which is an awful DVR-so slow to respond. Comcast DVRs (I did not get X1) are much better. HD picture is slightly better on Directv. ON demand is much better on comcast-directv does not really have it as you have to use your internet connection which in my situation was slow. I am getting more sports channels with PAC12 network. Channel HD vs SD lineup is screwed up on Comcast but you get use to it and they usually give you a prompt if the program is also available in HD-you hit enter and you go to the HD channel.

I wonder if any company can really be distinguished as having the absolute best picture quality.

The programmers are the ones who send the signals.

If a company has HD programming that breaks up, with pixellation on this and/or that channel, those would represent strikes against the cable teleivision provider. (No denying that.) It's probably due to poor management from engineering.

Wouldn't this be just a reliability-with-delivery and not a picture-quality issue?

Wco

@comcast.net
Got it installed yesterday.

Speeds are great and picture looks good. Might be a bit softer than Direct TV on the NFL game last night.

One big thing though is that Comcast only has one HD channel of the premiums, so that means waiting until 9 PM PST for a lot of HBO and Showtime shows. On Direct TV, I could get both east and west coast feeds, so could watch 3 hours earlier. Same with a lot of other cable channels too.

They have the SD versions of the east coast feeds though.

Any chance they will expand capacity and add those east coast channels?

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
nope. Be happy they have the east coast feeds there. Here on the east coast we don't get west coast feeds.