spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

TB's

The average user who does lots of video (and has many users-- say a family) could easily push their usage into the TB's... The internet's content has grown exponentially. This means we've come a long way from consuming a mere 250gb per month on average.

So, between 1 & 100tb is the issue. If Verizon sets an artifically low(ish) cap in the low tb's this can put many consumers in the radar. This would also be a factor which deciding which carrier to choose.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: TB's

said by tmc8080:

The average user who does lots of video (and has many users-- say a family) could easily push their usage into the TB's... The internet's content has grown exponentially. This means we've come a long way from consuming a mere 250gb per month on average.

So, between 1 & 100tb is the issue. If Verizon sets an artifically low(ish) cap in the low tb's this can put many consumers in the radar. This would also be a factor which deciding which carrier to choose.

Ok let's assume one watches Netflix in Super HD( 7 Mbps ). Now no other streaming even comes close to this. Ok say they have the family account that allow 4 simultaneous streams at a time. Even if all 4 streams were running 24/7 that would be 8.5 TB per month.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

I specifically did not pin a number because this is a moving target *upward* from quarter to quarter, year to year. Generally these things are calculated by taking the largest consumption users not withstanding the outliers and double/triple it. Since these numbers are generally only known to Verizon we can't know what they are-- making the process non-transparent.

** The way phone companies defined unlimited *VOICE* minutes was to assume nobody would spend more than about 10 or so hours on the phone and multiply that by 30 days. Sure it started out at 6,000 minutes but that slipperly slope skewed down to 3,000 as a soft cap. You can't trust *SOME* companies to act in the public's best intersts due to their track record. Whether it will apply to Verizon in this case remains to be seen.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

My point is even in the most extreme situation it would be hard to use 10 TB. Even 2 TB would be difficult to use. Some posting here seem to think even a 2 TB cap would be infringing on their "rights" which of course is ridiculous.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

A reasonable cap won't be defined by Verizon (their choice) because they don't release bandwidth consumption numbers. The fact that the outlier (exception) case chewed up 77tb is not relevant to what the norm high end actually is. The actual numbers would probably be more surprising than you think.

In my estimation, FIOS users were pushing 1tb of consumption (over 30 days) when Comcast was tinkering around with the 250gb cap. Since then it's probably some multiple of that by now.. what exactly, I don't know.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

In the letters posted at the begining, the user was 30,000% over the average user... If the letters were sent at 77 TB, the average user was around 250 GB.