antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[Internet] Activating my own cable modem online?

Hello.

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid ··· dem.html 's step #4 says we can chat with an agent online to activate our new cable modems. Will we still be able to do this with the hooked up new cable modems that aren't activated yet? Or does it require a different Internet connection? Has anyone done this before?

Thank you in advance.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
You will not get internet access with your new modem until it is swapped by TWC. As soon as this is done the old modem will lose access.

If you chat via the old modem, I assume they would know and give you instructions during the chat on what to do after they deactivate the old one.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Jabbu:

You will not get internet access with your new modem until it is swapped by TWC. As soon as this is done the old modem will lose access.

If you chat via the old modem, I assume they would know and give you instructions during the chat on what to do after they deactivate the old one.

Thanks. It would be nice to know the instructions during a chat session, in advance. I did not see one online.

jacko15

@rr.com
reply to antdude
I understand you want to do it online. I would just like to say I activated my new modem over the phone, and it was quick and easy, took less than five minutes.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by jacko15 :

I understand you want to do it online. I would just like to say I activated my new modem over the phone, and it was quick and easy, took less than five minutes.

The reason to do it online is I can't use the phones for my speech and hearing problems.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
A certain member here might be able to assist you... I think you know whom.

KeyLogger

join:2007-08-08
reply to antdude
they ask mac, serial, model, then activate it even the modem isn't online, then you swap it yourself, if you gave wrong mac, or they did something wrong, you have to call them, because both modems can't go online.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
I did it online. I plugged both in to the cable, but left my router and everything on the old one. Then in the chat they ask for the new modem info. And then at some point your internet stops working and the chat is dead. So then you plug everything in the new modem and hope it works.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Suit Up:

I did it online. I plugged both in to the cable, but left my router and everything on the old one. Then in the chat they ask for the new modem info. And then at some point your internet stops working and the chat is dead. So then you plug everything in the new modem and hope it works.

Interesting and thanks.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.