Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

c0ffeeBreak

join:2013-08-26
Richmond, VA

Fios problems - dropping packets, time outs, resolving host

Hey folks,

First time poster, long time lurker. Having issues at the parent's house. They run an actiontec router.

Last few days (two where I've actually experienced the issue myself) I've had issues with pages not loading at all and timing out. Skype video sessions drop completely. It's pretty common that a web page request will not load on the first try. Most of the time the browser responds by hanging on "Resolving Host" before the attempt times out or actually loads the page.

I've tested a range of websites that I use for work, and then many big name sites (google, yahoo, bing, espn, etc.). I've run pings and trace routes from multiple machines (wired and wireless) and all result in the same behavior. I'm at a loss at what the issue is and what I can do to fix the problem. A Verizon network issue perhaps?

I've contacted Verizon support and they released/renewed the IP address two days ago, but I'm still seeing the issue today. I've flushed DNS and Any input on the issue would be welcomed.

This happens throughout the entire day. I've run speed tests and those are fine, 20mb up and 10 mb down. However, the download tests normally have gaps where nothing is downloaded. Uploads are smooth with no gaps in uploading. This was tested using Verizon's speed test site.

Example traces attached.

Thanks!

SoulForge

@verizon.net

I just had new service hooked up after moving to my new apartment today and I am experiencing this in Northern VA. I am getting time outs on a lot of web pages. I can't even connect to basic messanger services.

The tech was here from 2pm to 7pm trying to figure it out after he did the installation. According to him they just put new a new GPON in at the CO and I am the first and only person using it at the moment.

Service on the original connection gets disconnected tomorrow but has no issues and is only 3 miles away.

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to c0ffeeBreak

No guarantees that it will work but try changing the DNS servers to something other then Verizon. I have had nothing but problems whenever I use there DNS servers including the issues that you are describing when using them.

You can find some options to try here »pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstrick···vers.htm

SoulForge

@verizon.net

Already tried googles with no luck.

c0ffeeBreak

Richmond, VA
reply to zippoboy7

Thanks for the link. I was about to set the DNS servers manually, but decided to give Verizon Tech Support another go.

The session started as usual. Define my problem. Check the router lights for "green". The tech did "something" on his end, and then had me check if the problem went away. It didn't. I stated that connectivity wasn't the issue, as we'd been on the chat for over 5 minutes with no hiccups. I tested other websites, which didn't resolve/load while still chatting with the tech. He had me check the router lights once again and then performed a remote router reboot. Router came back up. My chat session with the same tech also came back up surprisingly. Tested some sites, so far so good. 6 hours later, the problem still appears to be resolved.

Where I was having to reload the browser session every 2nd and 3rd page request, I'm now working as expected. No dead, unresponsive pages. The tech gave me no other information on what he/she did. I do have some trace routes saved before the issue was resolved to espn and zendesk. If those help anybody, I can post them up along with new trace routes to those same sites after the resolution.

Thanks again for chiming in!

SoulForge

@verizon.net

DNS isn't my issue. But the symptoms are the same.

They replacing the GPON that I am attached to tonight. Apparently its brand new and I am the only one on it so far. Hurrah for being a test dummy.

jonbrach

join:2005-03-31
New York, NY

i also have this problem with several websites...my download speeds are excellent when i measure them but a number of sites take a long time to resolve and just sit there with nothing happening before going to the page...it is quite frustrating

SoulForge

@verizon.net

Well they replaced the GPON this morning and the issue is still present. Sluggish load times and just general non-responsive sites. I can't connect to some of the games I play either.

Where is nycdave when you need him!

SoulForge

@myvzw.com

Just a quick update to anyone who is interested.

Verizon has now looked at the ONT, PON card. GigE device behind that. And has alternated two trunks lines on its gateway router while I was on the phone with them to see if forcing the traffic up one or the other lines caused this issue.

So far I haven't heard that they have any leads on what is causing this issue.

focuser

join:2001-05-12
Elmwood Park, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Optimum Online
reply to c0ffeeBreak

I've also been experiencing these same problems, last couple of days, on two macs, and a windows machine. I have tried using Open DNS, rebooted the router, no happiness. I am hoping it is a system problem that will rectify itself, as I would rather go to the dentist than deal with CS.

SoulForge

@myvzw.com

Focuser,

I will let you know if I get a direct answer from them on what is causing it. They will be doing more testing tonight during the 'safetime' when not many people are using their connections.

SoulForge

@verizon.net

Update!

Got a call from the Tier II tech this morning. Apparently the router that is near the OLT is generating an excessive amount of CRC errors for some unknown reason. The vendor for the router has been called in.

BozoTClown

@verizon.net
reply to c0ffeeBreak

I have been having exactly this same problem for weeks and its driving me batty. I even considered switching back to Time Warner, even though I've been with Verizon Fios for several years now here in Southern California.

I called VZW tech support thinking it was just a Wireless issue and they suggested changing the channel but that didn't help. Then today I noticed I even have the same issue on a hardwired ethernet. I am at wits end!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to c0ffeeBreak

Unfortunately, I'm having a similar problem. Occasionally.
I'd click a link in Chrome and see a "resolving host" message.
The page will either take 30 seconds to load or just time out.
But the problem only appears occasionally, and rights itself in a minute or so.

I'm using the Actiontec Rev 1, hardwired connection, 75/35 plan, with OpenDNS.
Chrome is the browser.
I'm in southern Queens, NYC.

I didn't think much of the problem as it doesn't happen often. But I figured I'd chime in.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

c0ffeeBreak

Richmond, VA

Any of you folks still with problems try getting them to release/renew the IP? I don't think that will do anything on the routing side of things, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Also, have any of you tried setting your DNS servers manually, using the link posted by zippoboy7 above as guidance?

I hate talking on the phone to techs, so I always use their online support chat. Also, after watching trace routes and pings bounce all over the place, it appears I was dropping packets while still on the verizon network, on alter.net and level3.net locations. Again, I'm in VA. My understanding is that Verizon owns those networks.

Hope that helps.

BozoTClown

@verizon.net
reply to Rook008

Yes my problem is also intermittent and it usually takes 3-5 minutes to clear itself up. That doesn't make it any less frustrating. If anyone finds a working SOLUTION to this problem, please post it here! Verizon tech support has been useless.

SoulForge

@myvzw.com

The problem for me was fixed on Friday evening going into Saturday morning during Verizon's 'Safetime'.

They isolated the issue to a bad card on their gateway router and replaced it. Cleared up immediately.

BozoTClown

@verizon.net

I don't suppose you have some kind of a ticket number I could refer my local Verizon to look at? That would be a lot simpler than me trying to explain the issue to them.