Search similar:

uniqs
peterkar
join:2007-04-15
North York, ON

peterkar

[DSL] Moving to dryloop

Hello all,

I have set up a Teksavvy DSL connection for my mother-in-law back in 2007 and it's working great. She still has a POTS phone line (which her DSL in on) but with the latest price increases in Bell, she finds the idea of going voip very appealing.

So, we're trying out some voip solutions for her and once she is comfortable with everything (she's 79 but knowing her it will be sooner rather than later. She's a pistol with technology.) we'll port her phone number over.

So, I'm starting to think about the pre-planning we need to do before starting the port over process.

What's the best way to co-ordinate going dry-loop with porting out a phone number? For that matter, if I just port her phone number and do nothing else, will her DSL service just disappear?

I'm looking for guidance here on the best way to make it happen, hopefully without any disruption in her DSL/voip service.

Cheers,
--Peter

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hey Peter,

Keep in mind that since the current service requires that active POTS service, porting the # will cause DSL to loose service.

My suggestion is this. Since ordering dryloop will be considered a new service, to prevent interruption of service, order the Dryloop DSL on the Secondary pair (making 2 services working at the residence) Once the Dryloop is active, you can cancel the existing one & start the process of your porting of phone service.

Do keep in mind that this is a bit more complicated for the process as it also requires you to use both Pairs of wires internally to have DSL & Phone working(while you wait for the porting of #). Once phone has been ported, then only the Dryloop will remain & thus you'll be able to setup the VOIP service of your choosing.

Hope this clears up the process for you.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Martin.
peterkar
join:2007-04-15
North York, ON

peterkar

Hi Martin,

That makes perfect sense. I was thinking in the back of my mind that something like that might be an option. Actually, I'm also toying with the idea of going to a higher speed tier if her location supports it. (She's just outside Guelph so I'll discuss that with the sales rep once I call to get the ball rolling.)

In the meantime, since we'll be there this weekend, I'll check out her demarc point to make sure there aren't any surprises. I've never actually seen it.

Thanks Martin. This really clears it up nicely.

--Peter

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

1 edit

modemport to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
I'm thinking of switching to Voip. How do I know if my landline outlet can support a 'Secondary pair'? What is the startup cost for this, and what is the monthly fee . I'd like to get rid of Bell. Thank you.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to peterkar

Premium Member

to peterkar
said by peterkar:

Hi Martin,

Actually, I'm also toying with the idea of going to a higher speed tier if her location supports it. (She's just outside Guelph so I'll discuss that with the sales rep once I call to get the ball rolling.)

--Peter

If you post in the »/fo ··· avdirect forum we can qualify the address & let you know what she can get.

Regards,
Martin
JenSuisUn

1 edit

JenSuisUn to modemport

Premium Member

to modemport
said by modemport:

I'm thinking of switching to Voip. How do I know if my landline outlet can support a 'Secondary pair'? What is the startup cost for this, and what is the monthly fee (postal code H3H). I'd like to get rid of Bell. Thank you.

Hello,

If you would like to get all the details, please post in the »/fo ··· avdirect forum with phone # address & we'll verify TekTalk service is available to you. As for the second pair, most residence have them already, but simply aren't used.

Regards,
Martin