how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

Lack of interest in the InternetS

"Many dial-up users cite cost and access as the main reasons they don’t have broadband, but for adults who don’t use the internet at all, a lack of interest is often the main issue."

... Don't worry, this internet thing is a fad anyways and it will pass soon ...

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
I wonder if the same pattern of use/non-use was apparent when the telephone entered widespread use. I'm betting it was. There are always going to be people who have lived without a technology for a long time who see no reason to adopt it.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AlexNYC
Their are plenty of people who CHOOSE to split wood to warm their homes instead of just cranking up the thermostat.
Having found something that works for THEM doesn't make them luddites or technophobes just someone comfortable with their own drumbeat.
NOT following the crowd can be a reasoned and reasonable choice too.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by tshirt:

There are plenty of people who CHOOSE to split wood to warm their homes instead of just cranking up the thermostat.

I resemble that remark, I'm an old fart, we heat with wood and have broadband - semi-fast 6Mbps ADSL. About a year ago switched to a CLEC for higher speed and lower cost, hard trade-off to beat.

But I think you are correct for some folks the Internet just isn’t all that interesting.

I was surprised broadband penetration has been pretty much stuck at 70ish percent for the last three years. I thought it would be higher by now. It would be interesting to know more about why the 30% do not have high speed access: is everyone in that group uninterested or does lack of availability cost and complexity play a factor?

The other interesting factor to tease out is how happy are folks with their service in terms of speed, reliability and price? Basically what does everyone want and how much are they willing to pay?

/Tom

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to AlexNYC
said by AlexNYC:

Don't worry, this internet thing is a fad anyways and it will pass soon ...

Citations support that...

Homer Simpson: The internet? Is that thing still around?
Bart Simpson: I know a website that shows monkeys doing it.

Prince: The Internet's completely over
»The Internet Declares Prince Dead