Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
kudos:1

1 edit

2 recommendations

[F@H] Lack of work units?

I thought there was something wrong with my configuration, but evidently it's moving and maintenance time at Stanford.
So, just in case anyone else is witnessing empty slots, the folks at Pande Group are moving the work assignment servers around.

See: »folding.typepad.com/news/2013/08···-26.html
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9

Re: Lack of work units?

Thank you! It's nice that I don't have to ask for advice about fixing it.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to mr sean

Thanks. I guess work servers get a rest sometimes, too.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to mr sean

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

Aww...it looks just like...like...like hors d'vors!

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

2 recommendations

reply to mr sean

And the servers are up but the Pande Group network is down.

See: »folding.typepad.com/news/2013/08···-26.html

~sigh~
Patience....

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

Everything seems OK for me now. All of my clients have just returned their completed units and received new units.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

Yepper, same here.
And not a moment too soon. I actually had to turn the air conditioning off cuz there wasn't enough heat coming off the boxen.
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
reply to mr sean

Last night all had returned to normal but now it looks as it did during yesterday's problem with the GPU's server. Hopefully it will right itself by morning.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

I believe they had a quick fix for the network issues yesterday, but the problems were going to take some additional work. Hopefully the Stanford IT guys can institute a rapid turnaround.
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA

Thanks for the update.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mr sean

Re: [F@H] Lack of work units?

Click for full size
When the client decides a Folding Slot has failed, does it continue trying to get a work unit for it automatically?

After first seeing the word, "Failed" earlier, I rebooted and it showed both slots as running for awhile and even displayed info about a GPU work unit but the slot never showed any progress before returning to "Failed" status.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

I have never gotten the big red failed banner...yet. Even when I know the actual hardware has failed.
It's hard to diagnose from waaaaaaaay down here in Texas, But there are a couple possibilities:

1.You can look in the log by going to advanced>log>tick the box marked log>and choosing the correct slot. This will show you what was going on with the core. From the screenshot it MAY have just failed upload.

2. It's possible the GPU failed. This is often corrected by reboot. My AMD 7970s don't do well with some WUs when overclocked and they will fail then reset and not pick up folding the WU. So I keep THE AMD GPUs close to stock values. I also use MSI afterburner to monitor temps and usage.

3. It's also possible there was a problem with the WU itself. The guys at »foldingforum.org/ can help there. You can copy and paste the log (see #1 above) and they may be able to give a good answer.
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mr sean

Thank you.

Looks like the same problem may be ongoing after following the link you posted per »foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24836 and »foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p···#p248118.

If it hasn't righted itself by tomorrow, will try to follow your advice further or find additional advice. I don't understand what I read about what's going on with the core.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 edit

1 recommendation

Ah...that seems a case of good news bad news.

The good news is that it may not be your hardware. Some servers are still down.
The bad news is that the posts you linked to appear to be about much older cores. Your waiting on a core 16 server. 16 is not that old (17 is the newest and that should fold on your GPU).

You may want to wait a day or two, maybe an occasional reboot to see if it uploads. If it remains hung up you may want to try a reinstall. If it comes to that I would suggest these steps.
1. Go to advanced, right click on CPU, Click on Finish. This will allow that WU to finish then stop that slot. When CPU has completed WU then...
2. Go to control panel>programs>uninstall FAH.
3. MAKE SURE you click a tiny box that says erase data in the Fah uninstall window, otherwise that failed WU will still be there.

The mention of older cores, in particular core 11, refers to a gradual phasing out of older cores in order to make better use of resources. The newer cores are much faster and somewhat more versatile for the science side.
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I think I screwed up my client's on line address by clicking "Remove." It was 127.0.0...and I don't know the rest. When I tried to set it up again it defaulted to 36330, shown in Capture3 (the center one). Please, someone tell me what it was so I can change it back?

Capture 4 is where it's at now. I did find and click on CPU so the one in progress should finish in about 10 hours UNLESS the change shown in the on line address screws that up. A few screen snapshots are attached. Will be grateful for any advice.

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Click for full size
I got the client changed to this, but still think it's not right.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5

1 recommendation

If you're referring to the client address, that is the same as what I have ... 127.0.0.1:36330

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Thank you! That's a huge relief! Now I know it will be able to finish/send the work unit still running. I hadn't made the left column wide enough to read the whole number before.

I guess when it's done with the current WU, I'll be looking for advice on how to reinstall after uninstalling. Jaynick helped me install it the first time, over a year ago. With a little luck, I should be able to find the thread.

Edit: I found a folder that has everything needed to reinstall.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

Just remember to check the little box in the fah uninstall window that says remove data. That window pops up when you choose to uninstall in the Windows control panel.

When you reinstall make sure you enter Team 4 (that's us!) and enter your unique passkey number. If you've misplaced or erased the email with your passkey you can get it resent using your fah username and email address.
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Thanks. At this point, the CPU is finishing. I rebooted and the client is trying to get a work unit. The GPU is toggling between being Ready and Running but making no progress, percentage-wise. Never mind. It failed again.

Do you think there's still some chance it's a server thing? Or could the server maintenance have caused the client to malfunction? Am trying to figure out why something that was functioning perfectly stopped doing so.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 recommendation

Alas, I have only guesses.

But you may want to reinstall the client after CPU slot finishes. It's possible the WU is corrupt.
Another possibility, that I didn't think of earlier, is a driver update for the GPU.
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

Thank you.

said by mr sean:

... a driver update for the GPU.

Fingers crossed it's not that complicated.

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ

2 recommendations

It's been a long time since I have looked at FAH server logs but based on the log that I see for 171.67.108.44, the server that you are trying to return the completed unit to, I believe that this server stopped functioning on Tuesday morning. The counts for units sent and returned do not appear to be changing.

Server log: »fah-web.stanford.edu/pybeta/logs···log.html
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Thank you. That would explain

said by onDvine:

... why something that was functioning perfectly stopped doing so.

wouldn't it?

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

The counts indicated in the server log appear to have begun changing at 11:50 AM PDT. Has there been any movement on your gpu units?
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

Click for full size
Thanks. I've been watching the page and noticed that. Periodically (about 3-4 times) have shut down F@H and restarted it. I get what's in the screen snapshot above, it goes back and forth between Running and Ready, then displays Failed. I can't get a page for the Work Server displayed in the snapshot above, either.

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

It looks like the completed unit may have been returned. It also looks like the work server that you have been assigned to, 171.64.65.69, is currently out of units.
--

onDvine
Premium
So. CA, USA

So one temporary problem has been traded for another. In light of progress made, do you think I should still finish up the CPU WU and uninstall/reinstall the client? Maybe best decided later?

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

I would not uninstall / reinstall at this point. I would try another client shutdown and restart or reboot and see if anything changes.
--