how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JDookie

join:2005-04-29
New Orleans, LA

[LA] Dropped Downstream Channels

For the last couple days I have noticed that 4 out of the 8 Downstream Channels have dropped. Can a Cox tech look into this please?

Anonguy

@cox.net
Your Downstream signals are bad. They levels are low at -8 to -9.5 but worse is than SNR.

All of them need to be above 35. The higher the better.

You either have a bad connection from the tap or bad splitters or cables.

Get a tech out to fix it.

JDookie

New Orleans, LA

3 edits
Yeah, I know the downstream signals suck. I've been complaining about that for years, and that's about as good as they're ever going to get. They are actually better than they've been in about a year because as of a month ago my average downstream signal was -11.0dB with SNR's in the 32-34dB range. Cox has been doing some major repairs in my neighborhood for the past month replacing underground cable and various major hardware, and signals have been gradually getting better. My Upstream signals were nearly 50dB a month ago, and have dramatically dropped recently. I actually started a thread a week or two ago discussing that very topic.

What's weird is, the four channels that have now dropped all together actually got really good a week ago. Out of nowhere, those four channels went from -8 to -11.0dB (like the ones you see above) to a nice -3 to -4dB, which is the highest I have EVER seen since I have moved in this house, which was back in mid 2005. Well, whatever was making those signals so good much have totally blown out now. Amplifier/Regulator in the node maybe?? I don't know.

In the past, I have gotten much quicker and better quality results when a tech from this forum looked into my issues vs. just calling the general tech support phone number, which is why I am posting about this here.

By the way, my cable modem is on a direct line from the tap, no splitters or anything.

Update:

I ended up calling tech support, and they are sending a tech to my house tomorrow, so I guess we'll see what happens. Not going into this with much faith unfortunately because I've been down this road *many* times before, and it's never fun.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
they've probably dropped because diff is greater than 2.0dbmv.
--
Despises any post with strings.

JDookie

New Orleans, LA
Okay, the tech just left. As I figured, there's nothing he can do. He confirmed that the signals are all messed up outside at the tap, and he has forwarded the issue to "maintenance". I'm not holding my breath.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
said by JDookie:

I'm not holding my breath.

That's good, because doing so for even a few minutes could cause brain damage or death

JDookie

New Orleans, LA
Thanks for the tip, lol.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
reply to JDookie
said by JDookie:

Okay, the tech just left. As I figured, there's nothing he can do. He confirmed that the signals are all messed up outside at the tap, and he has forwarded the issue to "maintenance". I'm not holding my breath.

You know, I had some very bad issues with my connection a few years back - horrendous packet loss and node congestion. It took some time but I was in touch with people who legitimately wanted to help and fix the problem. Once the problems were identified, I remember seeing bucket trucks out almost every day for a week or more. Cox eventually fixed it all and I have a pretty reliable connection now. So don't lose hope.
Expand your moderator at work

TimmyNOLA

@cox.net
reply to kv2009

Re: [LA] Dropped Downstream Channels

quote:
You know, I had some very bad issues with my connection a few years back - horrendous packet loss and node congestion. It took some time but I was in touch with people who legitimately wanted to help and fix the problem. Once the problems were identified, I remember seeing bucket trucks out almost every day for a week or more. Cox eventually fixed it all and I have a pretty reliable connection now. So don't lose hope.

I had the same problem in 1990s and kept calling when I was 12 and 13. Had at least 4 or 5 Cox trucks out there.

LAHSIhelp

join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to JDookie
If you are still having issues please PM your cable modem MAC address as well as your physical home address and I will check on this for you.