All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AngryK
@supralink.com

AngryK

Anon

If you have no control over your own business and...

.. you need to rely on your competitor to help you support outages then maybe you shouldn't be providing this service.

Our internet has been out for a week with no indication of when it's going to come back. for the record, my brother convinced us to go with your service while I was a big proponent of Fibe. Now I think he's starting to realize that he was brutally wrong. You get what you pay for.

It makes me feel a bit better knowing that I've cost you at least one sale by complaining and facebook and warning others about your reliability. The only reason we haven't cancelled our service is because we just literally upgraded to your fastest speed (which was supposed to kick in on Friday) and we're holding off in the event that you get your shit together. It takes hours to get through to your support and when you finally get through they can't do anything to help you.

Get your $&^% together
slvrsi
join:2009-09-08

slvrsi

Any hints as to where you're located? Is it mississauga L5x?? or are you on the other faulty POIs?

AngryK
@supralink.com

AngryK

Anon

We're at L5N...

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to AngryK

Premium Member

to AngryK
On the flip of the coin, there are also a lot of outages for Rogers customers, myself included last Friday. It's not specific to TekSavvy though Rogers does tend to place lower priority on TekSavvy.

AngryK
@supralink.com

AngryK

Anon

When I was with Rogers (and Bell Fibe more recently) I never experienced anything like this. We're talking just under a week. And to make matters worse the communication is horrible... we've been down for a week and I have no idea when we'll be back up

enzymes
join:2003-11-29
Brampton, ON

enzymes to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
»Rogers

Doesn't seem so judging from that...

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Fortunately Rogers can get their customers back quicker so it's not always days, however.. there does appear to be quite a bit of reports here from the last week. »canadianoutages.com/stat ··· s/rogers
slvrsi

slvrsi to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
OK - Is yours DHCP and you've been down for 4 days as well?

I think for me; yes; internet down is a reality from rogers but really teksavvy support isn't helping the situation. with long call queues and helpless direct forum posts. Also asking you to perform the same tests over and over; seems pointless.

Teksavvy always seems to have not enough agents for clients with problems but maybe the focus should be on providing answers instead of just running through the scripts. A look at past tickets would indicate the trouble shooting has been done. Efficiency could be had here better utilizing the agents and clients time.

Anyways; on a side note; thanks for the many informative posts on dslreports. I've been a long time lurker.
AC77
join:2013-08-23
Mississauga, ON

AC77 to AngryK

to AngryK
My old neighbourhood

Looks like Mississauga is getting disconnected all over the place.

It's like 1990 all over again except we had dial up back then

AngryK
@supralink.com

AngryK to enzymes

Anon

to enzymes
Those big companies have a lot of faults don't get me wrong. They rip you off and the service can be horrible but at least it works. Browsing these forums I hear lots of people blaming Rogers for TS's issues and to me there's a fundamental problem there. It's like Pepsi relying on Coke to distribute its product... it makes zero sense.

They don't have the infrastructure so they have to use their competitors lines but the trade-off is that they have no control over anything? And they can't sue or do anything about it? It's messed up that our telecom sector is so messed up in Canada but that's beyond the point. TS is my service provider and I'm paying them to provide me with a working internet connection. Regardless of the circumstances, they're failing miserably at it.

enzymes
join:2003-11-29
Brampton, ON

enzymes

I agree. Teksavvy using Rogers Cable as an excuse is pretty lame. But nothing can be done about it. Canadian ISPs and CRTC all suck.

I'm hoping more US companies try to come into Canada. That way at least Rogers and Bell can't keep ripping us off.
AC77
Mississauga, ON

AC77 to AngryK

to AngryK
I was very anger with teksavvy too being down 6 days now.

Looking at the bing picture it feels like everyone that's still done is caught in a dirty war that Rogers is creating. But I agree 100% if you sell a service you better be sure you can deliver

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to AngryK

Premium Member

to AngryK
So you'd rather see no competition instead of what's available? You can always go back to Rogers.

Yes it sucks that this issue has been going on. Yes it sucks that TekSavvy has to deal with Rogers to get anything done. Yes it sucks that Rogers is taking forever to deal with issues right now.

Unfortunately there's little that TekSavvy can do about it. They're at the mercy of Rogers. Rogers doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do anything for TekSavvy right now though. That's an area where the CRTC should be focusing at some point. It's ridiculous that Rogers can screw up your TekSavvy connection for days without fixing it, but they can activate you on their own service the same day you order without issue.

Right now I'm waiting on Rogers to change my speed profile. I'm on my 7th day since the request was able to be processed by Rogers. Speed profiles take no time to process, but for some reason they're taking their time. This is despite the fact that they'll make more money off of TekSavvy for a higher speed connection for me.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to slvrsi

Premium Member

to slvrsi
said by slvrsi:

OK - Is yours DHCP and you've been down for 4 days as well?

Mine was complete signal loss a little after 3 PM, as far as I can piece together they were doing large scale node splits on that day. My connection apparently didn't come back until 2 AM.

I would guess yours was also related to a node split particularly since TekSavvy has had a history of issues with Rogers because when they do a node split they have to get Rogers to reconfigure the DHCP scopes. Until that happens you lose access since you can't grab a free IP address.

As an aside, node splits can also affect different areas since they are placed in specific neighborhoods so you may be offline but someone even one street away can still have service.

As much as it's easy to blame Rogers and TekSavvy should definitely have better support with Rogers, they are the supplier to the end customer and only Rogers has visibility into their own network, they don't give visibility to anyone else.

AngryK
@supralink.com

AngryK to slvrsi

Anon

to slvrsi
It was DHCP but as of earlier this evening it looks like we're getting an address but it's still not working. I called their support line exactly an hour ago and I'm still waiting for them to respond.

The funny thing is that I know exactly what's going to happen when I do get through. we're going to walk through the same steps we follow every time and at the end of it they'll be like "sorry it looks like it's beyond our control. shit happens"
trog
join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON

trog to enzymes

to enzymes
And you expect ANY new company to invest the funds required to build their own last-mile-to-the-house?

DREAM ON
slvrsi

slvrsi to AngryK

to AngryK
Is the address 192.168.100.xxx? Those don't count and the modem seems to give those if your computer/router asks before the modem has initiated to the rogers network.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to AC77

to AC77
said by AC77:

I was very anger with teksavvy too being down 6 days now.

Looking at the bing picture it feels like everyone that's still done is caught in a dirty war that Rogers is creating. But I agree 100% if you sell a service you better be sure you can deliver

Based on your logic though, all TPIA's would need to close shop.

The issue is the CRTC, and lack of performance rules to repair things in a timely fashion by the incumbents.

RF issues and DHCP issues are on the ROGERS side of the network. They are not responding to requests by TPIA ISP's to fix issues in a timely fashion. This puts the customer at end with the TPIA provider in the middle with next to no recourse.

I get why you as a customer are frustrated, and I find this all unacceptable, but getting mad at the TPIA when they are doing all they legally can to fix these issues, isn't the correct place to direct the anger.

TPIA isn't setup that the ISP can take ownership of all issues that the incumbent is responsible for. There is little to no recourse. The CRTC will need many examples to have a complaint filed, and rules put in place. After this ROGERS issue, I think all TPIA's have enough to run to the CRTC to get this addressed once an for all. Customers need to do their homework more when getting a TPIA ISP. You need to understand more how it works. The logic of I pay X and X should just make it work, doesn't always apply based on how the current system is setup.
slvrsi

slvrsi to trog

to trog
Yah - that wont' happen here. but i think a little company called google just did that somewhere in the states.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to koreyb

Premium Member

to koreyb
To be fair though, Rogers actually is doing this to increase capacity on the network and at a faster rate than ever before. The problem is though, Rogers completes work for themselves first and then does it for TPIA and TekSavvy basically talks to an account manager or a CSR.

AngryK
@supralink.com

AngryK to slvrsi

Anon

to slvrsi
No it's a legit address. It's like 10.69....
slvrsi

slvrsi

10.x.x.x are internal ips as well.... simliar to 192.168s... maybe modem model?
AC77
Mississauga, ON

AC77 to koreyb

to koreyb
Thanks I understand how third party works just fine. The lack of any OLA between Rogers and teksavvy is what burns me. Perhaps the CRTC will eventually force that issue.
TSIFTW
join:2013-08-24
Windsor, ON

TSIFTW to AngryK

to AngryK
Ya any class A 10.x.x.x address is a private IP and this one seems to be within the Rogers network. Generally going into the situation blind I would be saying provisioning issues (which is when your modems MAC and serial # isn't on the Rogers database), but since I know your situation (it being a DHCP issue) leads me to think that maybe they are attempting to re-instate the DHCP pool and the node is pumping out private IP's?

That IP address will never surf the web, I'd try power cycling modem, or do a factory reset with the coax out. I had a similar problem at my moms and that seemed to fix it although it's only a long shot at this point.

Hope this helps.

AngryK
@supralink.com

AngryK

Anon

You guys are right it's not provisioned (just heard back from TS support). We just got a new modem today and we were hoping that it would solve our outage issues so you can imagine how excited we were when it was able to retrieve an IP (even tho it didn't work). They had told us the old modem had old firmware so they sent us a new one and told us that it would be provisioned by the time we got it. Sure enough that's waiting in Rogers' queue as well.

The support tells us a different thing every time we talk to someone. You can blame Rogers for everything else but this is on TS. How can one supervisor tell us that our new modem will be ready and may possibly resolve our issues when it's not ready by the time it arrives? He probably assumed that the ticket would be closed on Rogers end by the time it arrived but IMO that's an extremely unprofessional way to handle support issues. It's all false promises and no delivery with TekSavvy

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

It's not really false promises, it typically takes Rogers only 24-48 hours to provision a modem. And that has been the usual process. There are some very unusual delays for both cable carriers this summer and neither of them is warning or explaining the cause to any TPIA provider.

So how do you expect provisioning mangers to be plan for delays when they're not told til after the fact or not even told why its happening? TPIA providers are just as much in the dark as the you are.

And in regards to troubleshooting results, this sounds stupid (and I agree it is) but Rogers actually requests ping and traceroute tests on DHCP tickets after their 1st response if the customer is still not back up. Of course if you have a 10.x.x.x (wall gardened/unprovisioned modem) or 169.254.x.x (DHCP failure), those test aren't going to prove anything more. But Rogers wants to results regardless to go forward.

That entire situation is rather unfortunate, it's a mess and it's probably affecting hundreds of customers across all the TPIAs now. Hopefully at the CRTC hearing later this year, it will be addressed by CNOC, because it's gotten to an acceptable point. People shouldn't have to suffer week+ long outages just because they want better priced and fair usage internet.
jerrycan1
join:2010-11-05
Waterloo, ON

jerrycan1 to AngryK

to AngryK
Yep. There is something wrong with that. Imagine if our roads and streets were owned by a private corp? That would be crazy!.

All lines should be held by the public. I used to be Rogerers and Bhell customer. Not anymore. They can bite me. All Tek savvy home phone and dsl and digital OTA.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by jerrycan1:

Yep. There is something wrong with that. Imagine if our roads and streets were owned by a private corp? That would be crazy!.

Wasp
@bell.ca

Wasp to TypeS

Anon

to TypeS
I'm caught in the same situation, and it's infuriating beyond compare. Now on the 13th day of waiting for my modem to be provisioned, without any response from Rogers. I've called in multiple times, only to be told the same "it's not our fault!" sob story over and over again. The fact of the matter is that if you can't provide the service people are paying for, you shouldn't be in business. I'm about to essentially throw away a $75 investment on my latest modem and switch back to Rogers because I need internet. Am I happy about it? No. But at the end of the day, I'm not going to keep waiting an hour+ on the phone every two days just to have someone tell me they can't do ANYTHING to provide me with the service I pay for. What kind of company does that? I can't see any reason to stick with Teksavvy if they can't even add a modem to their network.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

On the flip of the coin, there are also a lot of outages for Rogers customers, myself included last Friday. It's not specific to TekSavvy though Rogers does tend to place lower priority on TekSavvy.

Rogers customers may be faced with Signal RF issues the same way as TPIA's, but they are certainly not faced with the DHCP outages and provisioning delays.