how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DnEtDe6c

join:2007-02-02
Athens, GA

Question about the RG's "Broadband" tab

I'm a relative newcomer to U-verse (two months) and have noticed that a favorite pastime of contributors here is complaining about (or flaunting) their max rates, noise margins, etc., so naturally I had to check out mine.

To my surprise, when I access the "broadband" tab on the RG, the numbers fluctuate greatly depending on the device I'm accessing it from. I assumed the "broadband" tab gave "true" numbers from the RG to the VRAD, but apparently that isn't the case. It seems to also factor in the connection speed and distance of my device (I connect only via WiFi). Do I need to connect a device directly to the RG via Ethernet to get my "real" numbers?

FWIW, I have internet-only (by choice). Also, I don't have access to a Windows machine, so no UV Realtime for me.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
Which RG?

Which numbers change wildly? Noise Margin and Attenuation maybe?

How wild (numbers?)

I am surprised that you have a lot of changes. My 3801's numbers seem very steady, even when I access the web page via WiFi. I had to go down from theDSL Line section to the Traffic Statistics area to make sure my page was refreshing.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
reply to DnEtDe6c
Huh? Are you saying the stats reported on this page:
»192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0

...vary depending on which device you access that link from?

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
Post snapshot of your DSL error table, on same page. Frequent retrains should indicate a real problem with line or RG.

Are you sure IP & MAC Addresses aren't changing too: if some devices were looking at neighbors' RG thru unsecured wifi's

DnEtDe6c

Athens, GA
reply to DnEtDe6c
said by Wily_One:

Huh? Are you saying the stats reported on this page:
»192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0

...vary depending on which device you access that link from?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I take it from the responses that others expected this to be a consistent measurement as well. It'll take me some time to gather screen shots, but I will come back with them. I'll also post the error table. As for the amount of variation, I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. I don't think you'll be able to attribute it to normal fluctuation.

My RG is a 5031NV, by the way.

DnEtDe6c

Athens, GA
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So there you have it. First one is from a desktop with wireless N. Second is via smartphone with wireless N farther away. Third is with an old laptop with wireless G taken from virtually the same spot as the second one. The fourth is also taken with the old laptop, but connecting it directly to the RG via ethernet cable instead of WiFi. Lastly, the error table as requested.

The upload rates are consistent. It's the Max User Rate and Noise Margin that fluctuate. It's always #3 that gives the worst numbers. Last night I believe I saw the Max User Rate lower than the User Rate.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to DnEtDe6c
That's wild. I've never seen anything like that before. Does the same device report consistent information from the same spot over time?

There is no way your S/N ratio could be fluctuating that wildly without it causing a serious issue with your service. Something must be wrong with the information it is reporting on that page.

DnEtDe6c

Athens, GA
There has been some variation, but overall there is nothing surprising to me about these readings. They are in line with what I've seen to date, although I should point out that this was the first time I tried it with a direct Ethernet cable connection.

I agree that the information is suspect unless, as I said in my OP, it is meant to give me some kind of "real world" information about specific equipment as measured in a specific location.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to StillLearn
Nah, it's meant to give info about the line upto the modem/gateway, not beyond.

DnEtDe6c

Athens, GA
All I can say is that these results are absolutely replicable, and that they align the way you would expect them to if it was measuring something beyond the RG, i.e., wired Ethernet is better than N, which in turn is better than G. The way I became aware of this phenomenon was that I'd been wondering why my stats kept fluctuating so much. Then it finally dawned on me that the "bad" numbers kept showing up when I was on one particular computer with the slowest connection.

Today I used the exact same computer that has been yielding the worst results (and which had just delivered its usual mediocre numbers) but connected it directly via Ethernet and got the best numbers I've ever seen on any of my devices. So either there has been a series of coincidences, or something else is at play.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
If RG's internal power regulation were seriously compromised, then perhaps wifi usage spikes could cause dips elsewhere affecting its other analog readings.

Try streaming youtube to two wireless devices, and simultaneously check stats from a direct wired device: does wired now also report poor numbers? Can also config RG's wifi power to its minimum (for my 2wire it's 25mW and was plenty for me) or disable wifi, see if that "helps" stabilize.

What type of power cord and its part# is supplying the RG? Maybe a mismatch, or just a bad RG.