camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Limited Basic tier encryption

I didn't want to pollute telcodad's notification thread with commentary, so I'm starting a separate thread.

I just want to ask, how many of Comcast's customers have asked Comcast to encrypt the formerly clear QAM service?

And if very few customers of Comcast have asked for this new "service", then why is Comcast providing this new "service"?

What is the benefit to the customers of Comcast?

Comcast has never told me why this encryption is a benefit to me.

Comcast has only told me that I have to endure the encryption of formerly clear QAM channels.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Why does everything have to be a benefit to you? Comcast is going to do what's good for Comcast, and going all-digital and encrypting saves them money and keeps down theft.

Theoretically, less theft means less rate increases from Comcast, although that's probably pie in the sky with the proliferation of retransmission fee hikes these days.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden to camper

to camper
said by camper:

I didn't want to pollute telcodad's notification thread with commentary, so I'm starting a separate thread.

I just want to ask, how many of Comcast's customers have asked Comcast to encrypt the formerly clear QAM service?

And if very few customers of Comcast have asked for this new "service", then why is Comcast providing this new "service"?

What is the benefit to the customers of Comcast?

Comcast has never told me why this encryption is a benefit to me.

Comcast has only told me that I have to endure the encryption of formerly clear QAM channels.

Comcast made a business decision to encrypt everything, most likely, as has already been said, to generate more revenue. The most powerful feedback you can give to Comcast is to stop sending them your money. If enough people did that, they will see that their business decision is causing a decrease in revenue and they will reverse the decision. Vote with your wallet.

Orlando57
@comcast.net

Orlando57 to camper

Anon

to camper
I believe this is how it will benifit you.

If all channels are encrypted then people won't try to hook up the cable to get free channels.
If there are free channels a person may try to hook themselves up. When they do that they may not tighten or even have a fitting on the cable. If it is not tight it will cause ingress and this will put noise in the return which will cause internet issues.

Or someone hooks up a broken down 60's tv. You remember the kind with two screws on them. I know you are talking about QAM but still here is another ingress issue that affects your service.

Comcast wants to leave all cables connected at the pole or pedistal. If people can get the formerly clear QAM service they will not subscribe to cable because they can get it for free. So the only way to stop this is by disconnecting the cable. That means a tech has to go out and disconnect the cable. Then the person may think they can hook it up themselves and they break the tap or lockbox trying to hook themselves up. Or they damage a paying customer's drop. Now Comcast has to send out a tech to fix it.

The guy keeps breaking in and hooking himself up. Comcast gets tired of having to go out and fix this issue. Now they get the police and courts involved. The guy or gal gets a judgement against them and told they have to pay X amount to Comcast. Guess what, they don't pay because they are poor. That is why they were stealing the cable because they have no job and no money.

So now comcast has to pay for this what I call theft of service. So just like the 7-11 that has to pass along costs to their customers becasue of theft Comcast has to do the same thing.

That is how it is benifiting you. You don't have to pay for the damage that is done when channels are free.

Just a thought.