Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Need Info] Is there anything to control order photos are upload

Is there anything that can keep order when uploading photos from a memory card (camera), I-phone or disk to the computer (Windows 7 64 bit) so that they go into the computer in the same order that they were taken?

My daughter uploaded about 400 pictures the other day to the computer and then onto Facebook but they were not in the order taken and when she attempted to move them around they did NOT stay. Is there anything simple to use that can control this?

(The disk had an .exe for Google Picasso slideshow - I just found the pictures and she put them into folders. I didn't trust installing whatever was on that disk.)

We view the pictures with Windows Photo Galllery.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Re: [Need Info] Is there anything to control order photos are up

the simple answer is to remane them in the order you want.

By default they are number in the order taken.
If you rename them and keep the numbering then they would still be in that order because most all system list by the name unless told to do it otherwise.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Libra

On the card itself, I would expect that they are named "numerically", & also with date & time (assuming that is set in the camera)?

Some something like:

DSCN2457.JPG
DSCN2458.JPG
DSCN2459.JPG
DSCN2460.JPG

And so when copied to your computer, they should be in "order"; 57, 58, 59, 60...

And at the same time, they should also be in a number, date order.

I have no idea about "facebook's" or "picasso's" or uploading to them.
But would think that if your files are "named" correctly once they got up there, they would either be in name order or in the order of the upload (date, time).

So if you happened to rename them:
Beach Ocean City Memorial day 2013-001.JPG
Beach Ocean City Memorial day 2013-002.JPG
Beach Ocean City Memorial day 2013-003.JPG
Beach Ocean City Memorial day 2013-004.JPG

I would expect they would be in "order"?

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Libra

Windows doesn't do it. It likely copies in order the files are found physically on the disk.

TeraCopy usually copies in filename order, though on occasion will mix things up.

When uploading via browser, it may depend on the browser, but to have the best chance at it, you must change the view to Details view and select each in order.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Libra

Thank you for your replies. I just looked at the pictures in the Pictures Library. They appear, somewhat, to be numbered in order with respect to where they came from, i.e.

One Disk with a lot of pictures taken of a group are numbered DSCO1394, DSCO1510, DSCO1516, DSCO1686. Of this group of pictures my daughter only took/uploaded the pictures of her and her boyfriend.

Another Disk was numbered buh296, buh297, buh318, buh353, etc. Again these are the pictures that pertained to her.

Edit to correct info: Pictures from an I-Phone showed numbers 112-124, 208-375. I believe when the I-Phone transfers to the computer it puts every picture on it onto the computer.

There was a memory card with a few pictures from a Canon Digital Camera.

Another small Disk had long numbers and all were in numerical order.

Could the fact that these numbers vary (DSCO, buh etc) cause the problem? I know when she was trying to put them on facebook they weren't and still aren't in order (i.e. horseback riding pics show up with pool pictures).

She put them into separate folders depending on their source.

EDIT to also add. She tried to add all photos into a facebook album (over 200 pictures) it wouldn't take them but did not explain why. She eventually ended up transfering many pictures from the I-Phone to facebook. I have no idea, but I'm thinking the various sources and attempting to upload all at once maybe caused this problem - but she still can't move some of the pictures on facebook.

Sincerely, Libra

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA
reply to Libra

Do not use Facebook, so do not know how Facebook manages photos that are uploaded. If someone who uses Facebook does not offer any help, then you'll need to see what help/assistance Facebook offers on it's site on uploading/storage of photos, as to any limits on the max file size of photo allowed, and the total storage space allowed for photos with your Facebook account

If you were to copy all the pictures to a single folder on your PC's hard drive and view the files with Pictures Library you would see that the iPhone files 112-124, 208-375 would be listed first; then the buh296, buh297, buh318, buh353 files; and then the DSCO1394, DSCO1510, DSCO1516, DSCO1686 files. I would imagine this is what you're seeing on Facebook.

I looked at my church's Facebook page and noticed they have "Albums" to group photos for different events. Hence you can create Albums to do the same.

Basically all file names are read as text left to right, in ascending order (A-Z). Hence if you want use a date in the file name to list files chronologically, you would have use the Year-Month-Day format; i.e., 2013-09-02 (or abbreviated 130902).

Most of your image viewings apps have a Batch Rename tool, so one can easily rename a group a photos.

For a simple example:

The above were some photos from Big Bear Resort. I used the Batch Rename template feature to rename all the photos as BigBear with a sequential number for each photo.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you, JTM1051, for your reply. I suggested that my daughter look at the help area re uploading the pictures in Facebook. She said she's been uploading pictures since she's been on Facebook and never had this problem, so she didn't look for the help. She ended up uploading all of the pictures with her i-phone - and saw there was a limit of 30 pictures at a time. We only have Windows Photo Gallery on this computer and I don't see any batch rename tool.

Thank you again.

Sincerely, Libra

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA

Hi Libra,

You're welcome. For the Batch Rename tool you can use one of the free Image Viewer apps; e.g., InfranView, Fastone, XnView, etc. see:
2011 Members Choice Image Viewers

If you do not already have one, would recommend getting a card reader to copy photos to your PC -- muti-type card readers are inexpensive.

Good Luck!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Libra

I use Windows Photo Gallery to UPLOAD photos.

You can review, organize, and group the items you want to import.

I'm using Windows 8 but I think Photo Gallery works the same on Windows 7.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···otos-faq
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson