Search similar:

uniqs

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge

Re: [Unlock] Unlocking the BasicTalk ATA

Technically that's not true. In the past, GS did not make customized ATAs. All their ATAs point to GS's provisioning servers after a factory reset. For the ones that are meant to stay unlocked, there's no configuration file on GS's servers.
When a provider orders a batch of ATAs, GS will add config files for that range of MAC addresses, which change the admin password and redirect the ATA to another provisioning URL.
They can do the same for the MAC addresses of the custom BT devices. They aren't doing it now, but nothing prevents them to do this in the future.
So when you factory reset your HT701, be sure to clear the provisioning server URL before you let the ATA connect to the internet.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to toro

Premium Member

to toro
Actually, I suspect it's the same reason why you can't upgrade from my version to the stock GS firmware through the web interface. I may try to put together a smaller one at some point...

/M
mackey

mackey to toro

Premium Member

to toro
said by toro:

I would guess they lose something around $15-$20 per ATA.

I highly doubt it's anywhere near that. W*M is retailing BT units for just shy of $10, and I can get a GS HT701 for just over $25 retail. As Vonage buys them in huge quantities I can guarantee you they're not paying $25 ea for them. My guess is they lose $5-$10 tops.

/M
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge to toro

to toro
said by toro:

Technically that's not true. In the past, GS did not make customized ATAs. All their ATAs point to GS's provisioning servers after a factory reset. For the ones that are meant to stay unlocked, there's no configuration file on GS's servers.
When a provider orders a batch of ATAs, GS will add config files for that range of MAC addresses, which change the admin password and redirect the ATA to another provisioning URL.
They can do the same for the MAC addresses of the custom BT devices. They aren't doing it now, but nothing prevents them to do this in the future.
So when you factory reset your HT701, be sure to clear the provisioning server URL before you let the ATA connect to the internet.

Good advice. It is labeled "Grandstream HT701" and is running stock firmware after being unlocked. A proper configuration by the user should Full Reset first and then clear any URL field(s) and uncheck any auto-update field(s). Then I'd say it's a stock ata and I would not worry about it.

OE
CatsEyeX
Premium Member
join:2014-08-20
Alviso, CA

CatsEyeX

Premium Member

Thanks for that tip. I used the servers at firmware.grandstream.com to update to the latest firmware. I have cleared the 'Firmware Server Path' and 'Config Server Path' and also turned off auto updating.

Do I still need to do a Full Reset?
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by CatsEyeX:

Do I still need to do a Full Reset?

I have no idea what settings are imposed or leftover by the various firmware uploads, or if an upload clears/resets settings (I would not assume this); sooo, I would always start a new configuration by uploading the desired/latest firmware and then performing a Full Reset first before making your changes. Seems like the prudent course of action to me.

Advanced Settings
Upload firmware::update to current firmware (while on a UPS)
o Reboot.

Basic Settings
Reset Type = Full Reset Reset
o Reboot.
End User Password = password (default password is 123)
Telnet Server = No
Time Zone = local time zone
o Apply.

Advanced Settings
Admin Password = password (default password is admin)
Firmware Upgrade and Provisioning::Firmware Server Path = blank (default is fm.grandstream.com/gs)
Firmware Upgrade and Provisioning::Config Server Path = blank (default is fm.grandstream.com/gs)
Firmware Upgrade and Provisioning::Always Skip the Firmware Check = selected
o Apply.

OE

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to CatsEyeX

to CatsEyeX
It's safe to leave the 'Firmware Server Path' set to firmware.grandstream.com if you want to get firmware upgrades automatically when they become available.
'Config Server Path' is the one that should be cleared.
toro

toro to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
said by OzarkEdge:

Upload firmware::update to current firmware (while on a UPS)

Since you mentioned UPS I wanted to share something that I started using a few months ago as UPS.
Belkin makes a Residential Gateway Battery Backup specifically for AT&T Uverse modems: »www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BU ··· 001-12V/ which is technically a UPS that lacks the power inverter that would produce 110V. Instead it just delivers 12V DC up to 2.5A for the output voltage. That's usually enough juice for a regular modem + router + an ATA (or even a Pogo based PBX:)).
The power efficiency should be better than if you used a regular UPS that outputs 110V (which would be converted again to whatever your devices use).
They can be often found on eBay for under $20 shipped (I think I got mine for around $12).
Couple it with a power splitter like this »www.ebay.com/itm/111397115199 to power more than one device.
That would work, of course, if all of your devices run at 12V. If not, you can use one of these boards »www.ebay.com/itm/301218533352 to bring the voltage down to anything between 1.25V - 12V

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

said by toro:

If not, you can use one of these boards »www.ebay.com/itm/301218533352 to bring the voltage down to anything between 1.25V - 12V

Just be careful with those. Most of the cheap ones use counterfeit chips and have horrible ripple, and I've heard some (disputed) reports of them going out and taking whatever was attached with them. »Re: Time for an old power supply to retire. Personally I would not touch them without replacing all the caps, replacing the variable resistor with a fixed one, and adding a TVS diode capable of withstanding the full output current across the output.

/M
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge to toro

to toro
said by toro:

Since you mentioned UPS I wanted to share something that I started using a few months ago as UPS.
Belkin makes a Residential Gateway Battery Backup specifically for AT&T Uverse modems: »www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BU ··· 001-12V/ which is technically a UPS that lacks the power inverter that would produce 110V

That's an interesting approach I had not considered. Something to keep in mind.

FWIW, my current UPS solution is the APC BE750G Power Saving Battery Back-UPS $83 »www.amazon.com/APC-BE750 ··· Back-UPS ; replacement Amstron battery $23 »www.atbatt.com/amstron-1 ··· P-1290F2 . An APC unit seems to last 8-10 years; the battery 4-5 years.

OE

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

said by OzarkEdge:

An APC unit seems to last 8-10 years; the battery 4-5 years.

Eww, APC. Out of 5 units we recently purchased 2 died within a year, and the SmartUPS likes throwing random SNMP power-fail alerts while not alerting when it shuts off outlet groups. All of them cook batteries and last 3 years tops.

I've heard very good things about Eaton PowerWare and have picked up 2 3000VA double-conversion units to try.

/M
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by mackey:

Eww, APC.

Yeah, I'm aware of such reports. I'm a selective, low usage home user that has had good results thus far:

Back-UPS ES Series 750VA BE750G, arrives tomorrow.
Back-UPS ES Series 750VA BE750G, 6.12 years and still going.
Back-UPS ES Series 650VA BE650R salvaged from owner, ~6 years? and still going but hums a bit to my OBi202.
Back-UPS ES Series 750VA BE750BB, 9.06 years and still going.
Back-UPS ES Series 750VA BE750BB, 9.06 years and just died.
Smart-UPS 600VA, 10-12 years? and recycled... too expensive to service the battery a second time.

All on their second battery (by Anstrom).

OE
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to toro

to toro
$7.99 (plus tax and/or shipping) at Fry's until 9/18/2014.

»www.frys.com/product/8071184
coreyography
Premium Member
join:2010-01-15
Houston, TX

coreyography to toro

Premium Member

to toro
Anyone having problems with outgoing calls after doing this? Mine seemed to go fine, updated the stock firmware successfully, and connected to my Voipo service. However, when I make an outgoing call, I get one ring and then nothing. Evidently the other party answers and can hear me talking, but I can't hear them. Incoming calls work fine.

I've factory reset it a couple of times to no avail. I also searched this thread before asking, and found nothing related, but I'm also not completely sure the search worked properly, so apologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

For $10 it was worth a shot regardless. I may go look for an Obihai sale

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

One way audio is usually caused by a NAT traversal problem. See if anything here helps:
»www.voipmechanic.com/voi ··· udio.htm
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge to coreyography

to coreyography
said by coreyography:

Anyone having problems with outgoing calls after doing this? Mine seemed to go fine, updated the stock firmware successfully, and connected to my Voipo service. However, when I make an outgoing call, I get one ring and then nothing. Evidently the other party answers and can hear me talking, but I can't hear them. Incoming calls work fine.

The unlocked HT701 is likely fine. Try disabling anything in your router related to SIP ALG or SIP Pass-Through.

OE
coreyography
Premium Member
join:2010-01-15
Houston, TX

coreyography

Premium Member

OK, thanks for the responses. I'll double check when I get back from my upcoming trip. But I gave it the same internal IP address as the other Grandstream (HT501?) I had been using, and didn't change anything else.
Redwolf
join:2001-01-07
Hot Springs National Park, AR

Redwolf to mackey

to mackey
Did the unlock and now am unable to update to official Grandstream Firmware. Acts like it is taking it but never does. Half the time when HT701 boots it does not serve it's web interface. I am able to telnet into it though.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

said by Redwolf:

Did the unlock and now am unable to update to official Grandstream Firmware. Acts like it is taking it but never does. Half the time when HT701 boots it does not serve it's web interface. I am able to telnet into it though.

After installing mackey's firmware, did you try installing the factory firmware direct (to work around a memory limitation):

1. Change to the Advanced Settings tab, set Firmware Server Path to firmware.grandstream.com, and set Always Check for New Firmware at Boot up (the default); then select Apply.

2. Connect to the Internet and cycle power to reboot. The current stock firmware will be uploaded from firmware.grandstream.com upon reboot. LED2 and LED 4 will flash during firmware processing. Wait for ~1 min after LED 1 and 2 settle ON.

As for the delayed web server response, you have to wait for the reboot to settle before trying to login.

OE
Redwolf
join:2001-01-07
Hot Springs National Park, AR

Redwolf

said by OzarkEdge:

After installing mackey's firmware, did you try installing the factory firmware direct (to work around a memory limitation):

1. Change to the Advanced Settings tab, set Firmware Server Path to firmware.grandstream.com, and set Always Check for New Firmware at Boot up (the default); then select Apply.

2. Connect to the Internet and cycle power to reboot. The current stock firmware will be uploaded from firmware.grandstream.com upon reboot. LED2 and LED 4 will flash during firmware processing. Wait for ~1 min after LED 1 and 2 settle ON.

As for the delayed web server response, you have to wait for the reboot to settle before trying to login.

That worked!
Thanks
Now if I can figure out how to set it up for VoiPo.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD

Premium Member

said by Redwolf:

Now if I can figure out how to set it up for VoiPo.

Linksys/Cisco SPA8000 settings for VOIPo

Line Enable: yes

Streaming Audio Server (SAS)
SAS Enable: no SAS DLG Refresh Intvl: 30
SAS Inbound RTP Sink:

NAT Settings
NAT Mapping Enable: yes NAT Keep Alive Enable: yes
NAT Keep Alive Msg: $NOTIFY NAT Keep Alive Dest: $PROXY

Network Settings
SIP ToS/DiffServ Value: 0x68 SIP CoS Value: 3 [0-7]
RTP ToS/DiffServ Value: 0xb8 RTP CoS Value: 6 [0-7]
Network Jitter Level: high Jitter Buffer Adjustment: up and down

SIP Settings
SIP Transport: UDP SIP Port: any # from 5070-5080 (avoid 5060)
SIP 100REL Enable: no EXT SIP Port: blank
Auth Resync-Reboot: yes SIP Proxy-Require: blank
SIP Remote-Party-ID: yes SIP GUID: no
SIP Debug Option: none RTP Log Intvl: 0
Restrict Source IP: no Referor Bye Delay: 4
Refer Target Bye Delay: 0 Referee Bye Delay: 0
Refer-To Target Contact: no Sticky 183: no
Auth INVITE: no Reply 182 On Call Waiting: no

Call Feature Settings
Blind Attn-Xfer Enable: no MOH Server: blank
Xfer When Hangup Conf: yes Conference Bridge URL: blank
Conference Bridge Ports: 3

Proxy and Registration
Proxy: sip.voipwelcome.com
Outbound Proxy: blank
Use Outbound Proxy: no Use OB Proxy In Dialog: no
Register: yes Make Call Without Reg: no
Register Expires: 3600 Ans Call Without Reg: no
Use DNS SRV: no DNS SRV Auto Prefix: no
Proxy Fallback Intvl: 3600 Proxy Redundancy Method: Normal
Voice Mail Server: blank Mailbox Subscribe Expires: 2147483647

Subscriber Information
Display Name: Your Choice User ID: xxxxxxxxxx (10-digit primary VOIPo DID)
Password: (*see below) Use Auth ID: no
Auth ID: blank
Mini Certificate: blank
SRTP Private Key: blank

Supplementary Service Subscription (use defaults)

Audio Configuration (use defaults except, maybe, for these)
Preferred Codec: G711u
Use Pref Codec Only: yes
DTMF Tx Method: Auto

Dial Plan
Dial Plan: (*xx|*22x|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.|068.) -- or your choice
Enable IP Dialing: no Emergency Number: blank

FXS Port Polarity Configuration
Idle Polarity: Forward Caller Conn Polarity: Forward
Callee Conn Polarity: Forward

* Obtain SIP-Password (different from LogIn Password) through Features -> Softphone / BYOD.
  Enable Softphone Status then click Save. Password will be emailed to you.
DaveSin
join:2009-07-17

DaveSin to Stewart

to Stewart
Now $5.99 until 10/2/2014!!!!!
said by Stewart:

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by DaveSin:

Now $5.99 until 10/2/2014!!!!!

said by Stewart:

Wow and thank you for letting us know.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

Good price, if you can walk into a Fry's store. Otherwise, the shipping fee makes walking into a Wal-Mart cheaper.

FWIW, I've seen these HT701 part no.s on the atas from Wal-Mart:
961-40019-30A001
961-40019-30A003

OE
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by OzarkEdge:

Good price, if you can walk into a Fry's store. Otherwise, the shipping fee makes walking into a Wal-Mart cheaper.

You are right.
turk
join:2009-03-10
canada

turk to toro

to toro
Anyone have settings for HT701 for Anveo? Please.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

It'll probably be similar to the config they have for other Grandstream devices: »www.anveo.com/faq.asp?co ··· =gxp2000

But you may want to use sip.ca.anveo.com for their Canadian server.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe to toro

to toro
My SPA2102r is dying (static on my side, no CID reported anymore- proly electrical spike did it in). I have another sunrocket one but it's unlockable (Customization: Pending)

Is there a specific unit version needed to unlock when ordering from Fry's? Or is it order with no worries.

Will be used with viteltiy btw.

*edit: ps. I need 2 line support. Does this thing support 2 lines like the 2012?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by jimboe:

I need 2 line support. Does this thing support 2 lines like the 2012?

No, the HT701 has one physical FXS port and can access only one provider.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

thx, Have to look elsewhere I suoppose.