share rss forum feed

dmbcanada

join:2009-06-01
Canada
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy DSL

Bury Cable

I am moving into a new home and their is a large grey rogers service cable on the side of the house. We are not Rogers Cable or Internet customers, is their a way to get that hooked up and buried so it is not an eye sore? Pic attached.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
You will have to wait until Rogers comes and does the work they need to do in your neighbourhood before the cable gets buried.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

LondonDave
Premium
join:2011-09-05
London, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to dmbcanada
Normally when the hydro contractor comes to yank the power feeders to your meter base they will pull both of those to the meter as well. Bell and rogers will both come around and put a small demarc box on the meter to terminate everything nicely.

I just built a house and it was finished neatly.

dmbcanada

Canada
I know Bell is coming to put a demarc box, but we are not subscribing to Rogers will someone still come?

LondonDave
Premium
join:2011-09-05
London, ON
In my neighbourhood every home has both boxes installed as soon as the meter base is installed

dmbcanada

Canada
Our meter base is on but cables still not hooked up.

mrdylanblue

join:2013-02-27
Brampton, ON
reply to dmbcanada
I know when I first moved into my house (about a year ago) Rogers didn't put on a box until I actually signed up for cable services with them.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to dmbcanada
The local electrical utility usually has a contract with the communications companies, and charges them a nominal fee to bring the ducts to the side of the house in the same trench as the power. Once they report it is done (usually through a summary invoice at the end of the month), the telecom company will send someone over to install the demarc box, etc.,
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dmbcanada
said by dmbcanada:

I know Bell is coming to put a demarc box, but we are not subscribing to Rogers will someone still come?

Why wouldn't you want both services connected?? It doesn't cost you anything and will improve your choice of services down the road. This makes no sense to me why you wouldn't want both services connected.

Besides, until the house is turned over to you, it's technically still the builders.

dmbcanada

Canada
Well I do want it connected to the house, don't want to subscribe to Cable/Rogers as we have satellite. I want to know if there is a cost involved if I am not subscribing to Rogers.

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
No- no cost to you. It's connected as part of a standard services connection. Whether you choose to subscribe to services is up to you. But yes, it is normally connected by the contractors.

dmbcanada

Canada
Hmm..well I don't think they are connecting it.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
They won't actually connect it, but they'll come by and terminate it in a demarc box eventually. They may wait until they have a handful of them to do at the same time in your subdivision.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

dmbcanada

Canada
I hope they come, it is an eyesore. I noticed my neighbour didn't go with Bell and the orange cable is still on the side of his house exposed.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dmbcanada
Since this is a new build, one or both lines could actually be fibre. If so, no TPIA for you.

On the other hand, 250/250!

On the other other hand, $225.99/month just for Internet.

dmbcanada

Canada
Nope no Fibre in this subdivision. We are far from the CO, so only 5MB DSL available.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dmbcanada
That's probably for the best. I was thinking that FTTH without TPIA is more or less a permanent high-dollar contract with either Bell or Rogers. If either run FTTH then they won't ever run a conventional line, therefore no TPIA. Plus they only supply the very top tier over FTTH. Sounds like a deal with the devil...

If more reasonably-priced lower-speed tiers could be supplied over FTTH (I'm sure they physically could) or if TPIA access was allowed then that would be a different story, but until then I'm actually glad I don't have FTTH - it's a "give $225/month to Rogers or get nothing" kind of deal.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Fraoch:

If more reasonably-priced lower-speed tiers could be supplied over FTTH (I'm sure they physically could) or if TPIA access was allowed then that would be a different story, but until then I'm actually glad I don't have FTTH - it's a "give $225/month to Rogers or get nothing" kind of deal.

Rogers FTTH is only available in very few areas.

Bell FTTH has multiple tiers available with varying prices.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dmbcanada
said by dmbcanada:

I hope they come, it is an eyesore. I noticed my neighbour didn't go with Bell and the orange cable is still on the side of his house exposed.

As I said, just wait until all of the construction in your area is done and by that point all of the lines an conduits will be buried properly.
--

dmbcanada

Canada
Well they came and buried the cable and hooked it up to a cable box, but they didn't bother to lock it. Either they are coming back or they don't care as I am not a Rogers Cable or internet subscriber.