share rss forum feed

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

[Caps] [Rant] Comcast Usage Caps

Just got my email from Comcast that my monthly usage is going to be capped at 300 gig at which point I will be billed $10 for each additional 50 gig. Sort of blows the Netflix streaming out of the water.

How I dearly wish there was an alternative to Comcast. But in my area Comcast has got a lock, an exclusive deal, with the city to not allow any competition. Satellite is not an option, never will be an option.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

Re: [Rant] Comcast Usage Caps

said by raythompsontn:

Just got my email from Comcast that my monthly usage is going to be capped at 300 gig at which point I will be billed $10 for each additional 50 gig. Sort of blows the Netflix streaming out of the water.

How I dearly wish there was an alternative to Comcast. But in my area Comcast has got a lock, an exclusive deal, with the city to not allow any competition. Satellite is not an option, never will be an option.

Well you have some options.

Pay for the additional bandwidth
Pay for business class

Business class really is the best deal if you download a ton of stuff.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to raythompsontn
Actually Satellite is great for streamed content like video, whether it works with third party streams like Netflix, amazon, redbox utube I don't know, they hadn't been invented last time I had satellite internet.
If you really using that much Netflix, even 50gig for $10 over 300G is a deal compared to almost any other video option.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to raythompsontn
said by raythompsontn:

So you'll pay $10 per 10-15 streamed hours of material over your first 100 hours of Netflix streaming a month. Mkay.

I'm on business class, and the family has been streaming netflix for hours on end... We're at 361GB this month, our max has been 500GB. That's including my actual business use (~200GB/mo) so I'm not sure we'd even bump over the cap on residential. However the cost differential between business and residential should cover about 150-200GB overage every single month - so unless you're over 500GB/mo you still will probably win on residential.

Residential performance unbundled is ~ $60/mo, less with bundling is 25/4
Business class starter is 16/3, $70/mo

Residential Blast Plus 50/10 is $90/mo, less with bundling.
Business class 50/10 is the next speed, at $110/mo.

Assuming no bundling you can get 400GB of data for the same price. Bundling will lower your costs such that you'd get pretty much 500GB of data for the same price.

If you're well over 500GB every month, then business class is your best bet.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to raythompsontn
I watch a lot of netflix and i dont ever get near the amounts your talking about.

bighappyneil

join:2000-07-27
Knoxville, TN
reply to Nightfall
I am confused since I have a 50/10 business account and received the 300gb notice in my email today. Somehow I don't see this going well. I need to get an official reply on the lack of bandwidth caps on business accounts. I specifically asked the sales rep about bandwidth caps when I signed a 4 year agreement for service.

Contents
Contents

join:2003-04-10
Circle Pines, MN
said by bighappyneil:

I am confused since I have a 50/10 business account and received the 300gb notice in my email today. Somehow I don't see this going well. I need to get an official reply on the lack of bandwidth caps on business accounts. I specifically asked the sales rep about bandwidth caps when I signed a 4 year agreement for service.

Whoa wait, that changes things. That is not good. I hope it was sent in error.

bighappyneil

Knoxville, TN
I am hoping someone from Comcast will post in here but I will also verify via the local office tomorrow.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to bighappyneil
said by bighappyneil:

There are no caps on business class. Did you used to have a residential account?
--

bighappyneil

Knoxville, TN
No this is a new business account which moved from another business class provider. I have had it for under a year.

We have a 50/10 business package with 5 static IP's/Phone and Internet.

FWIW, I wasn't able to get the usage meter to come up via the link in the email. Part of the email stated the following:

"Based upon your recent usage history, it appears this new data plan will have no impact upon you, and you won't need to do anything, or change your Internet usage. If you are not sure about your monthly data usage, please refer to the Track and Manage Your Usage section below."

I am a little confused and just a little apprehensive that either my business account is incorrectly listed as a residential account, Comcast is starting to cap business accounts or that Comcast is (incorrectly) sending this email out to all customers in a geographic area. I hope it is the latter one but I can't say until I get official confirmation on what is going on.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

»businessclass.comcast.net

There are no usage meters anywhere.
--

bighappyneil

Knoxville, TN
I don't doubt you or my Comcast salesman but past experience has showed me to be a little careful when it comes to corporations not following their own rules and/or mistakenly classifying accounts incorrectly.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by bighappyneil:

I don't doubt you or my Comcast salesman but past experience has showed me to be a little careful when it comes to corporations not following their own rules and/or mistakenly classifying accounts incorrectly.

Business class is not just a bit on your "xfinity" account. You have an account in an entirely different system, not called xfinity. That's why I wonder if you've had a residential account before. There IS not a bandwidth meter anywhere on the comcast business site. Can you post a link, or a screenshot of your bandwidth meter?
--

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to raythompsontn
any chance you can post the letter?

Also, I am assuming you have a DSL choice

bighappyneil

Knoxville, TN
reply to JohnInSJ
I (my business) hasn't had an account with Comcast before. This is a new business account with Comcast. I have Uverse at home. The email address where this notice was received was the master account created when we signed up with Comcast one-half year ago.

As I posted earlier I wasn't able to get a usage meter to show up on my account. So I understand the point you are making regarding the lack of a usage meter. Still, the receipt of an email stating that I (my business) is under a data cap plan is disconcerting to me. The lack of a usage meter doesn't necessarily mean (to me) that my account isn't under this 300GB usage cap.

The email's subject line was:
"Introducing Your New Data Usage Plan."

Further down in the email it stated:
"Based upon your recent usage history, it appears this new data plan will have no impact upon you, and you won't need to do anything, or change your Internet usage."

Why would Comcast care about my usage if my business account didn't fall under this plan? The fact my account was a business account should have flagged the system to not even send the email as I have a business account.

As I recall after I set up my Comcast business account I later signed in using "xfinity connect" and created an account there. I wonder if my email address was placed in the xfinity database and a general email was sent out to every xfinity user in that particular database who was in my geographic area regarding the data cap.

I am a little confused here just want to verify there are no data caps on my business account.

mike31US

join:2013-08-15
Auburn, WA
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I watch a lot of netflix and i dont ever get near the amounts your talking about.

Indeed, I'm lucky to hit 250gb a month. I'm an avid gamer, download quite a fair bit,stream, vpn in to work now and then. This is in a household of two however so I can see with more people in the household how you could easily go over.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to bighappyneil
said by bighappyneil:

I am a little confused here just want to verify there are no data caps on my business account.

When in doubt review your contract since that is the legal document outlining what you agreed to.
--

bighappyneil

Knoxville, TN
reply to bighappyneil
I just talked to tech support and he confirmed in real time there are no new data caps for business customers. I guess we will wait and see.

He was just as confused as to why I received the email as well.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
Must be that xfinity account. Is this an actual residential drop (ie, business at a home address) and do you have xfinity home TV or Voice?
--

bighappyneil

Knoxville, TN
This is not a business at a residence. This is a standalone commercial business location. Comcast had to run new wire to us. The salesman had 4K to allocate for the cable run.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by bighappyneil:

This is not a business at a residence. This is a standalone commercial business location. Comcast had to run new wire to us. The salesman had 4K to allocate for the cable run.

Yeah... no way there is a cap. Must have been xfinity spam
--