Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

[Cable Card] Pace RNG110 cablecard - can I pull it and use it el

Long story short, I recently had service installed and noticed the box that came with my service (Pace RNG110) actually uses a CableCard that is user accessible. It got me thinking, wondering actually, if I might be able to pull the CableCard out of the Pace box and throw it into a device of my own choosing (Tivo, etc).

If not, I'm certain it wouldn't be a stretch to get an actual standalone cablecard from comcast at some point, but since I have the box for a year as part of the promo package I'm on anyway I was tempted to tinker. Has anyone tried anything like this?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Re: [Cable Card] Pace RNG110 cablecard - can I pull it and use i

No, you can not do that. Nothing inside a cable box is "user accessible" (Also violates the terms of service and they would be able to cancel your service if they so chose). Cards have to be paired with a device.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to SunnyD
said by SunnyD:

It got me thinking, wondering actually, if I might be able to pull the CableCard out of the Pace box and throw it into a device of my own choosing (Tivo, etc).

Aside from what beach just told you...why WOULD you want to do this - since to swap the actual box you have now, with an actual cablecard, CC gives you a $2.50/month credit on your bill, for using your own equipment.

SunnyD

Madison, AL
said by dishrich:

said by SunnyD:

It got me thinking, wondering actually, if I might be able to pull the CableCard out of the Pace box and throw it into a device of my own choosing (Tivo, etc).

Aside from what beach just told you...why WOULD you want to do this - since to swap the actual box you have now, with an actual cablecard, CC gives you a $2.50/month credit on your bill, for using your own equipment.

They give you a credit? wtf...

I thought you had to PAY for the cablecard.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

If it's for you first (only) outlet - then yes, it IS FREE, since most cable packages (like yours) already include 1 full (non-DVR) box as part of the service. BUT because you then are using your OWN "box" (Tivo) then they offset the price of the (included) box with the $2.50 credit.

If this is on an additional outlet, then you would be charged the normal full outlet charge (typically $9.95) which normally includes a full digital (non-DVR) box then they add on the $2.50 credit.

»www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy/

SunnyD

Madison, AL
Well I'll be...

Thanks!

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
reply to beachintech
Card's in set top boxes have their Card ID hardwired to the MAC address and Host ID of the box they are in. From what I've been told, not even Comcast has the ability to unpair the two in their system, since the box manufacturer handles repairs, from what I've been told by various engineers from those companies.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

SunnyD

Madison, AL
While I'm inclined to mostly agree (and besides given the equipment credit situation it's moot), my fairly new experience with the cable industry has been mired with employees who don't have a freaking clue what they're talking about. Short list of examples:

- Sales rep didn't even know what CableCard was
- Cable tech told me that the HDMI port on the box wouldn't even work since I didn't have the HD package (in fact he told me component wouldn't work, I'd have to use composite only)
- Sales rescheduled my install appointment to a time slot that doesn't exist

Anyhow, once again thanks for the info all. I'll be looking into swapping my box out for a CableCard once I decide what I'm going to do.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Yup, welcome to the industry lol.

raffoutroud

join:2010-03-31
Lynnwood, WA
reply to SunnyD
said by SunnyD:

- Cable tech told me that the HDMI port on the box wouldn't even work since I didn't have the HD package

The HDMI port won't work if you aren't paying for HD, that's correct. Without the access fee the port is ded.

SunnyD

Madison, AL

1 recommendation

said by raffoutroud:

said by SunnyD:

- Cable tech told me that the HDMI port on the box wouldn't even work since I didn't have the HD package

The HDMI port won't work if you aren't paying for HD, that's correct. Without the access fee the port is ded.

And that would be flatly incorrect, as I have it happily hooked up to my TV using HDMI (I don't get HD, but it happily outputs via HDMI without any issues). Go figure!

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by SunnyD:

And that would be flatly incorrect, as I have it happily hooked up to my TV using HDMI (I don't get HD, but it happily outputs via HDMI without any issues). Go figure!

That's what I would expect. All outputs work, but of course you just don't have access to the HD channels themselves.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to SunnyD
That's what I expected. It's the access to the HD channels that the fee pays for, not enabling and disabling the physical connections. Otherwise there would be an eSATA port fee to use an external hard drive.
--

radiocolin

join:2013-01-29
reply to SunnyD
It is possible for them to selectively disable ports on your box.

I have HD service, but when the tech hooked up my one box via component, there was no picture. Switched to composite, there was a picture.

He had to call in and have them provision the box to enable the HD outputs.

raffoutroud

join:2010-03-31
Lynnwood, WA
reply to SunnyD
Ask the good folks in Colorado. The audits just got done there. They were informed via letters and then the authorizations/corrections were sent to the boxes. HDMI ports go dead without the HD access fee and the DVR service goes dead without the DVR coding. Just because it's working for you doesn't mean that it's supposed to. As they audit more areas you'll see. The ability to disable the HDMI port via a billing code has been active in a lot of markets for at least 2 years now.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
This with SA or Motorola equipment?

SunnyD

Madison, AL
reply to SunnyD
Well I guess one more question...

Who should I talk to in order to facilitate my "migration" from their box to a cablecard? Do I call the general Comcast customer support guys, or would I be better off calling my regional sales/support guys, or should I just take a trip down to the local office with their box in tow?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Generally I'd just go down to the office, return the box and pick up a cablecard. If you contact customer support, they'll offer the same advice or suggest a tech come out to install it which would cost you money.
--