spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paper Cut

join:2013-03-28

Frequent Daily Brief Internet Outages

I switched from regular DSLExtreme with AT&T landline phone to DSLExtreme Fusion I believe in March, 2013. Soon after, I started experiencing the occasional brief internet outage. Brief meaning like around one minute. It would come back on by itself. I did call tech support by phone the first time I noticed this and they had me reboot the modem and router, and that fixed it. Since then, the outages gradually have increased in frequency, but not in length. Yesterday, I had at least 6 or 8 outages that I was aware of, all lasting what seemed a minute or two. The ones that I'm aware of happen early evening, like 5 - 6 o'clockish. Today, I had a couple this morning somewhere around 10 am. These are increasing in frequency it seems almost daily now, but they still remain brief, 1 - 2 minutes. I watch the Comtrend CT-5072T modem, and I can see by the lights that the modem is rebooting itself. Every time it reboots, I get a different download speed, ranging from near zero up to around 3.3 Mbps. The upload speed seems to stay steady (after rebooting) at 0.83 Mbps. This is the same modem DSLExtreme gave me years ago, I did not get a different one when I went to Fusion. When the internet goes down the phone service remains up, as far as I can tell (I don't check every single time). These increasingly frequent outages make online gaming or video/audio/podcast streaming very frustrating. Can someone help me troubleshoot this? Time for a new modem? Something happening with my connection? Oh - and all of my electronics are plugged into nice voltage regulators that have plenty of wattage headroom, and none of my other electronics are having any problems.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:30
We were running your SNR a bit lower than normal, as you might recall. Unfortunately, it looks like the line needs it to be a bit higher to remain stable. I'll try increasing it a bit, but not the full usual amount, to try to maintain speed as high as possible; if that's not enough to stabilize it, we might need to increase it the full amount.

Paper Cut

Thanks. I'll watch it for a couple of days and let you know how it goes. I do remember that you changed the SNR to try to get me some more speed, now that you mention it.

Paper Cut

It's Wednesday morning, Aug 28. If you already made the change to the SNR, it hasn't solved the issue: I've already had a couple internet drops this morning, where my modem is rebooting itself. The odd thing is, after you first made this adjustment back in March or April, everything seemed to be fine for months. Now, I get these multiple daily drops. Maybe something else is wrong?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
I'd increased it partially, but since you're still seeing drops I've increased it to the full amount. If you're still seeing drops later this afternoon, let me know or call in so we can investigate further; you might be running into some interference from somewhere, but if that's the case we'd have to do some troubleshooting to try to narrow it down.

Paper Cut

Things have improved, but I still get at least a couple of internet outages and automatic modem reboots every day. After the reboot, my download speed changes, it ranges from about 2.0 mbps to about 2.7 mbps. My upload has decreased from a steady 0.83 mbps to about 0.65 mbps. It had always been 0.83 since I first got Fusion. Can we try some more troubleshooting? Thanks for your help.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
The upstream difference is because of the SNR adjustments I made earlier, so that's to be expected. You shouldn't be disconnecting, however, so I'll have a tech call to help troubleshoot accordingly.