share rss forum feed

Jmaurice85

join:2013-07-07
Pompano Beach, FL

Bonded Pair Install, Expectations

Good Afternoon,
My 45/6 install is on Thursday and I was wondering if this video (

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_QLqJcpRrA
) is what I should expect my install to look like? If not can someone paint a picture for me what I should expect on Thursday. I was told it's a 5 hour job however, because I have a cat5 to my current NID it should take nearly as long.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
I don't believe that is an ONT. That guy says "there's the fiber coming out of the ground". I believe that is the iNID for pair bonded copper. That is the old way of doing pair bonding.

Now they just patch both copper pairs in the NID to your inside wiring. They terminate both pairs on the same RJ-14 connecter and connect it to an NVG589 which terminates the pair bonded VDSL connection itself. No more need for an iNID.

Is your house fed by copper or is it a FTTP neighborhood? I don't believe they have launched 45/6 for FTTP yet, so I would assume it is copper. When I had my initial Uverse triple-play install it took them about 3 hours total. That included installing the NID, running the cable to the pedestal, installing the RG and connecting each jack and testing the 5 set top boxes, voice, and Internet. They budget 5 hours just in case they run into any issues that take longer to resolve. With the new install method, a pair bonded install shouldn't take any more time to complete than a single pair.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Concerning time needed on bonded install, both pairs need to be good quality lines.
If at time of install an issuè with outside lines is found, a helper ticket needs to be created for CIM tech.
The CIM tech is supposed to respond within 4 hours, plus time to resolve issue(s).
The uverse tech continues to install any wiring needed, and places equipment then waits for sync.
After CIM tech establishes solid connection, the RG, DVR, set top boxes all need to be registered and receive updates along with registering HSIA, and if voip then needs transfer.
After all equipment up then education of how to use product.

It is not uncommon for bonded installs to be 6-9 hours when a CIM tech is needed.

my thoughs

@rr.com
reply to Jmaurice85
Similar but different, the inid is a bonded pair install, since this summer 2013 bonded installs are primary using the 589 RG.
This uses the standard nid attachment to the house used on single pair install example

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIklbd3q···a_player

The drop has two pairs, conected to two gel protectors at nid, ground wire and single cat5 carrys both signals to new jack at RG location to connect by data cable from jack to RG,

All services, internet, tv, and voip are delivered by the RG. Tvs can be Ethernet, coax, or wireless.

Jmaurice85

Pompano Beach, FL
reply to Jmaurice85
Thank you everyone for their feed back.
My house is fed by copper and this is simply an internet upgrade. I currently have Tv and internet only. I'm hoping that the install is quick especially because most of the hard work has been elimated since I have a Cat5 run from outside to the modem. I was told it would take an hour to for the tech to find another clean pair outside; is that true?

The customer service reps for my area must really be new to the upgrade process because they attempted to upgrade my speed remotely. Killed my internet & Tv for a full 24hours; they dispatched someone to come out to take a look but the services had come back up. The tech arrived and didn't even know about the speeds and challenged me on it; one I started speaking tech lingo he called and got confirmation of the new speeds. The person on the phone challenged me and said the new speeds wouldn't be available until next year?? So how did I order it? LOL

You are right if already have 3800 or 3801 installed are major uverse work is done.

Now the tech will have new assignments for the second line.
Jumper to be installed at crossbox.
New assignment at serving terminal need to connect 2nd pair in drop to new binding posts.
Newer drop already installed, if not will need new drop installed.
Nid will need to be updated if not completely replaced.
Signal verified at NID, if no sync or sync with errors need CIM tech dispatched.
At RG jack, jack rewired or replaced to provide both lines to RJ 14 jack.
RG line1,2 up. RG updates, verify all services working.

And all this for only $99 installation charge.

crash58

join:2012-05-22
Clarksville, TN
reply to Jmaurice85
I was looking online and can upgrade to the new speed...My issue is with the $99 install charge...with really any other company you can upgrade speeds with no issue. I understand that with att, to get a better speed they have to run the extra pair but I think it is unfair to make the customer pay for it...at the cost of $76 for 45mbps is already a rip off compaired to way faster speeds with the cable companies for about the same price. I think att is giving the shaft to existing customers. I already pay a little of $200/month for 12mbps, u450 tv and home phone. Really thinking about going to the power companies internet, which is 50/20 for 49.95, no contract and 29.99 install!

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
| ... power companies internet, which is 50/20

A BPL provider still standing in AL? Details (link), pretty please?

Jmaurice85

Pompano Beach, FL
reply to Jmaurice85
Yeah unfortantly in my situation my only option is Uverse. If not the cable provider for my area is just as pricey with much lower speeds and crappier service. If I move then I'm happy with Uverse TV but then I'd switch to Comcast.

crash58

join:2012-05-22
Clarksville, TN
reply to brookeKrige
I'm actually in clarksville tn now...just haven't updated profile so says AL, it's CDE lightband. They even offer 1 gig download for something like $350/month, it's all fiber
www.cdelightband.com

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Jmaurice85
uVerse and AT&T are about on par with each other when it comes to price. So much for competition.

Edit: At least it my area that is.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to Jmaurice85
Click for full size
my current stats
I spoke to my buddy who is a u-verse prem tech. He said for me, at least, all they need to do is install the new pair at crossbox, config at VRAD, and install pair at NID. Since my drop has 4 pairs, they don't ned to do a new drop. Simply put, that's all that's needed for my line. We are not expecting any line issues either, b/c my current line stats are AMAZING...see screenshot. My install in today 8/28 at 9am.
--
Bill - Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

Jmaurice85

Pompano Beach, FL
Take a pictures pretty please

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

3 edits
INSTALL NOTES ADDED, EXPERIENCE THUS FAR. I will be updating my original thread here: »45 meg tier available in CHICAGO...AFTER INSTALL NOTES, etc
ALSO...
I am hosting a AT&T U-Verse 45 Meg Tier "SPEEDWAVE" on speedtest.net and basically it is a link you click on to test your speed. The results of the people who used the SPEEDWAVE link are grouped together and stats/graphs are given based on those speed tests taken within the SPEEDWAVE.
The SPEEDWAVE is for U-Verse 45Mbps tier users only PLEASE! If you use a different ISP or lower speed tier it will distort the results.
The link is here:
»www.speedtest.net/wave/4d4a99e24c0863bd

ANYONE can click the link and view the stats of the tests performed.
--
Bill - Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net