uniqs
share rss forum feed

djoye

join:2009-08-15
Murfreesboro, TN

2 edits

[Connectivity] I'm on a proxy now?

Upon trying to visit this website: »www.castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/

I was told that it doesn't allow proxies. It worked in the past but I'm now denied because apparently I'm being run through a proxy.

Google shows what was typically my public IP (98.211.x.x) but other sites with better detection are now showing another address (68.87.x.x) and telling me I'm running through a proxy. This kinda pisses me off because, as is shown from the link above, some sites don't like proxies and block you.

I've reset the modem and router, after that not working I held the reset button on the modem until the modem redownloaded its config. I was initially getting 56ms/11down/0.9up but after the forced reset it improved to 58Mbps down.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2928170451

I'd usually get ~6ms/~115down/~20up. Currently, my download speed is varying but my upload is junk.

Looking at my account activity on reddit, I can see that 18 hours ago my old IP showed and now they're seeing my 'proxy' IP.

What's going on?

Could it be this?
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Inte···/1640059

I'm at 90% of my 300GB. Kinda lame to start throttling now.

And another:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Inte···#M173243

So this shitty warning system needs me to confirm a pop-up before it'll return my normal speed... but it can't send the pop-up to me unless I'm connected directly to the modem? This can't possibly cause any problems.

Been browsing for a bit but have yet to get the pop-up and there's nothing in my account to acknowledge. I did receive an e-mail but with nothing to confirm.

--
Zoom 5341j

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

Comcast is looking into it. See: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Inte···U1808052

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

1 recommendation

So it's an issue related to their browser notification system.

that whole Comcast notification system, in my opinion, is the very definition of a "slippery slope"

djoye

join:2009-08-15
Murfreesboro, TN
reply to djoye

Got a call from a tech and it appears that the notification was hung up. The tech was able to clear it up on their end and my speed has returned to normal.

I guess when they want to send a notification, they route you through a proxy server (because that's a good way of intercepting a transmission), you acknowledge the notification, and your service is supposed to return to normal. My notice got hung up and I got stuck on the proxy. They were able to correct the issue and my service returned to normal.
--
Zoom 5341j

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA

I'd like to see how that works when you're in the middle of a VPN session and have a tunnel established.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

said by bradyr:

I'd like to see how that works when you're in the middle of a VPN session and have a tunnel established.

Should happen the next time you open any connection outbound port 80.
Not really rocket science. Won't have any impact on established connections, or connections not on port 80.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA

nah, I mean if you are pushing *all* of your traffic over a tunnel.

like the assumption here is when a subscriber goes over X data, they get hit with the notification warning that they are at or near their monthly quota.

what if you're pushing all your traffic over a encrypted tunnel, all comcast sees is that you are reaching your quota. are they just going to wait until you kill off your vpn session and open a browser session, then tell you?

see what i'm saying? there is nothing saying i can't have a vpn session going 24/7, never opening a connection on port 80 outside of it.

maybe what i'm getting at here doesn't make sense. but at the same time, this notification system is just a disaster waiting to happen..

the tech behind it might be brilliant, some people might have spent a lot of time on it, and good on them, but in practice, what is to stop them from saying "hey, you're about to go over your quota.. oh, do you want to subscribe to XYZ? " or "Hey, it looks like you're burning a lot of bandwidth on netflix, how about subscribing to our double play service instead??"

you know damn well some people higher up the food chain at Comcast corporate would love to do this.