Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

RT-N66U

Given how long AC is going to take to get into devices I own, I went with the RT-N66U, and it's very good. The only thing I really don't like is the bandwidth logging, which is pretty pathetic. It sort of logs bandwidth, but doesn't give you enough data to do much with the information.

I also have horrible 2.4 ghz performance on my phones and tablets, it's basically like really slow DSL, unless I get close to the router, but I have no reason to believe that any other router would do any better with how much of a mess the 2.4ghz spectrum is in my neighborhood. The 5ghz performance is excellent, downloading off the internet at over 53mbps on Comcast Blast!.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

Indeed, I think unless money is really not an issue, buying AC routers right now is a bit premature since that spec is not finalized yet.
Remember how some draft-N routers were not compatible with the final spec? You never know if the same will happen here..

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
I have this RT-N66U as well. I didn't bother with the interface I flashed it to use Tomato by shibby before even testing it.

One thing this reviewer and most people don't know about is the internal micro SDD card slot. The models I've seen all have internal micro-sd slots that can be unlocked with 3rd party firmware. You can add an extra 64gb of internal flash on them without using up the USB ports.

The only real drawback of adding internal flash ram doing this is you'll need to break the warranty seal. For a device that is a buck fifty or more that can be a bit risky. Since I was flashing it anyway It was a risk I was willing to take for the added benifits.

I do admit ASUS has the best consumer routers I've seen on the market. They are pricy but they have some serious capabilities that make them stand out.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, and then I got lazy. Does that support guest networks like the stock firmware? The combination of Tomato's bandwidth logging and guest networks would be killer...

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

1 edit

Sarick

Premium Member

Yes multiple wi-fi networks are there but I've never used them.

»tomato.groov.pl/

Tomato has all kinds of services like Tor, vpn, ping/trace tools, and even a network file sharing sever.

FTP, File Sharing, Media Server, UPS client, Bittorrent Client and more. I love the Static Dynamic DHCP where I can set the and auto lock local IP addresses in specified ranges. This allows me to set the local home network to 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.50 static addresses and set GUEST access to 192.168.1.51-192.168.1.100. I can then set the bandwidth limiter for the guest IP addresses so people who I give access to my LIMITED internet have bandwidth. limited.

Shibby TomatoUSB now supports the AC66 router mentioned in the original review.

I love this router, best I've ever owned. Way over powered for my network setup. I can barely hit 3.5 mbps. I know that If I get 20MBPS or higher IT should be able to handle the higher speeds.
n0ym
join:2004-12-21
Montgomery Village, MD

n0ym to BiggA

to BiggA
I also went with the N66U, in part because I use it for my house border router, and have a second wireless access point. This one is being used just for its (fast) wired performance, and the radio is disabled.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to Sarick

Premium Member

to Sarick
Nice. The combination of those two things would make a killer router... I may try it eventually.