Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cablevision Clock Ticking as Paulson Sees Sale: Real M&A

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-2···m-a.html

"The pressure to do a deal is mounting for cable companies of Cablevision’s size, as evidenced by Time Warner Cable’s blackout of CBS Corp. (CBS)’s channels for the past three weeks, said Todd Lowenstein, a Los Angeles-based fund manager at HighMark Capital Management Inc., which oversees $19 billion. The only ways to combat increasing costs for programming are blackouts or getting bigger, he said."

I know this never seems to end, but we have to hope it doesn't happen.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
I think the thought of Google being a potential buyer is an interesting one, and probably one option most of us might not mind.

Otherwise how can we get these analysts to shut up and stop trying to provoke someone to offer the right amount for CV....

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
I think there's too much legacy technology for Google to get into cable.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Parth

join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY

1 recommendation

reply to kickass69
I don't think Cablevision is planning on selling, they're doing too much right now for that to be a possibility. New bill design, network upgrades, etc. I just can't see them doing all this just to sell their efforts to a company that, let's face, will just trash their progress. (TWC...)

But hey, shit happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

roged49

join:2004-07-01
Brentwood, NY
reply to kickass69
it pains me to read this. cablevision is far from the worst provider but to be sold to twc would be the worst. Idealy id like to see google as atleast they would want to do something innovative and have something prosumer atleast, especially internet speeds.

Comcast would be second. twc or charter would convince me to seriously swtich to fios.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Parth
said by Parth:

I don't think Cablevision is planning on selling, they're doing too much right now for that to be a possibility.

Or they can be doing that to make it more enticing. Think of it like how you do some improvements to a house to make it more enticing to a buyer. To use a real world example, when United bought Continental, they trashed their own reservation system and web site and replaced it with Continental's.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

1 recommendation

reply to Parth
Umm that's the first thing you do when you sell anything, you pretty it up. Think of selling a house, people tend to do bathroom and kitchen work costing thousands with the intention of creating a more lucrative sale.

But yeah, if Google wanna buy then great but otherwise let them stay right there!

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1
Just as a courted girl pretties herself up for her suitors.

Ricanlegend

join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY
reply to kickass69
I'll be super excited if google buys cablevision faster internet hopefully 1 Gbps fiber to the home service

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

I do not know about that. half of the fiber work is already done. they would only have to lay fiber from the node to the house. imagine the shakeup that would happen if google bought cablevision?

Parth

Poughkeepsie, NY

1 edit
reply to SHoTTa35
For a house yes, but if TWC or another incumbent was looking to buy, they won't care about a quality network. They're probably looking to trap more subscribers under them so they have more leverage with content negotiations and continue being anti-competitive. The money would keep rolling in whether or not Cablevision does anything.

And nobody wants to pay a higher price for a network they intend to let rot anyway.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

said by MxxCon:

I do not know about that. half of the fiber work is already done. they would only have to lay fiber from the node to the house. imagine the shakeup that would happen if google bought cablevision?

Assuming the fiber in place is something that could be reused for Google's purposes. And they'd have to build the entire 2nd half blind (can't disconnect the fiber to the node without cutting off everybody's existing service).

Not to mention the headaches of MDUs and shady landlords. There's a reason why Google picked Kansas City and Provo, Utah, and it's not because they like the mid-west.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Booost

@151.190.40.x

1 recommendation

reply to Ricanlegend
said by Ricanlegend:

I'll be super excited if google buys cablevision faster internet hopefully 1 Gbps fiber to the home service

Fiber directly to the NSA !

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to Thinkdiff
Cant be that different then how lightpath and optimum home do it now.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
reply to Parth
I agree with you 100%. In every cable merger acquisition I have witnessed, the company being bought has always stopped all innovations and improvements. Even cancelled projects promised. Cablevision has done the opposite, they are investing in the infrastructure and services. Cablevision is not presenting itself as a company that wants to be bought out.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:

Or they can be doing that to make it more enticing. Think of it like how you do some improvements to a house to make it more enticing to a buyer. To use a real world example, when United bought Continental, they trashed their own reservation system and web site and replaced it with Continental's.

Except the cable industry has never been like that. In every acquisition the company being acquired has always stopped all capital investments in advance of a sale.

I have been through a few in my lifetime.

Early 80's Cable Haven mainland system acquired by Clear TV Cable
Late 80's Clear TV Cable acquired by Adelphia
Early 2000's Adelphia swapping systems with Comcast

In each case, capital improvements stopped until after the sale or swap. That's just my own personal experience, but I have noticed similar stories from other areas of the country. Like the whole Adelphia collapse.

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to kickass69
Despite the hitches it experiences here and there, overall, CV is a great bang-for-buck provider.

The only thing that Cablevision doesn't have is NFL Sunday Ticket, and that's beyond their control.

Otherwise, their Internet is one of the fastest in the U.S., their phone service is reliable, and they have all the channels subscribers want. The thought of Google as CV's buyer is overrated. Google does searches; they don't deal with call centers or customers.

CV's Netflix performance alone is worth billions...

Best of all, nothing is better than calling CV and hearing those [awful] Long Island accents on the other end. The day I call my ISP and hear an Indian on the other end will be the day I lose all hope in U.S. companies.

I don't want them to sell. Instead, I want them to keep doing whatever it is they're doing that has them on the forefront of the cable industry.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to kickass69
Cue article #58274 next week on how CV sale is inevitable.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to roged49
said by roged49:

it pains me to read this. cablevision is far from the worst provider but to be sold to twc would be the worst. Idealy id like to see google as atleast they would want to do something innovative and have something prosumer atleast, especially internet speeds.

Comcast would be second. twc or charter would convince me to seriously swtich to fios.

TWC is not the worst at least they are investing in their network too albeit slower than cablevision.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to frdrizzt
One of these days all these articles might add up to CV getting sold or going private. Better to be aware then falling back on the 'boy who cried wolf' mindset.

Booost

@151.190.40.x
reply to frdrizzt
From December 3, 2001: »Oh God...Here comes AOL Time Warner!!!!!
said by deathtodsl:
News this AM, Cablevision honchos state that the system certainly could be sold for the right price, and that AOL-TW was interested!!!!
There goes your need to do speed tests!

Repeat: That's from 2001.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69
This article didn't say anything new, it's just throwing out the same idea. It just repeated the same "Video costs increase, they need to consolidate, so CV will be sold" line. So I repeated the same "another one of these articles?" I'm not mad at you for posting it, just the lousy journalism that makes this newsworthy more than once a month.

jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY
reply to kickass69
The day cablevision announces a sale to TWC is the same day I am making a call to our friends over at fios

CV built such a reliable network, it would be a shame to sell it to someone who would trash all that work

Once TWC takes over, you can expect tons of layoffs and say goodbye to same-day or next-day appointments for new installs or trouble calls. It was 5pm and CV offered to send one of my customers a tech to their business within 4 hours because of an issue they were having that was caused by bad wiring. Nothing beats that!

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Indeed, lets hope it never happens.

MOSFET

join:2002-09-29
Garfield, NJ
reply to kickass69
"You never say never,' Chief Executive Officer Jim Dolan, Charles"s son, said during Cablevision"s earnings conference call this month about potentially merging or selling the company. "Our plans are to continue to proceed in terms of operating the company in the best interest of the company and its shareholders.'

Herein is the problem with most companies, they operate in the best interest of the company and their shareholders......to hell with their customers who will continue to pay higher and higher monthly fees for fewer and fewer services.

Parth

Poughkeepsie, NY
I wonder how different things would be if Cablevision went private. :/ could be good and bad.

MOSFET

join:2002-09-29
Garfield, NJ
Right now, I'm running two service providers, OOL and Clearwire. Both of these companies are in turmoil so I have no idea yet who to keep and who to dump. Speed alone is not a priority for me, portability is a requirement. I want to be able to take my modem across the country, plug it in and know I'll have an internet connection and with Clear I can pretty much do this, for now anyway. God only knows what Sprint is going to do to Clear but Sprint's business model isn't very impressive so I dread to think that Clear may be doomed because Sprint may end up gutting Clear for it's bandwidth only.

OOL, well, I don't have a television so I don't use OOL for that purpose. I use it for Internet only and they're getting $70/month from me for Internet only. So they give you blazing fast speed, I don't need blazing fast speed. Stayed tuned, I have no idea what's going to happen but I can guess that the consumers will get screwed so that Wall Street can make a profit killing...literally.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to sandman9r
said by sandman9r:

The only thing that Cablevision doesn't have is NFL Sunday Ticket, and that's beyond their control.

More rumors. But report two weeks ago that Google might try to take NFL Sunday Ticket from DirecTV... seems Google is on the prowl for something.

»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···77.story