Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stephanie4

join:2013-08-27
reply to Keaters

Re: [DSL] New to TekSavvy - Trying to get /28 static IPs working

Thanks for the info.

I have been told what the /28 IP addresses are. I just can't access them using the equipment Tecksavvy sold me.

I've read about bridge mode in other threads, and understand that I can buy additional equipment and maybe this will work. But the other threads suggest that without 'true bridge mode' the connection may be crippled or slowed?

So my option is to buy additional hardware and then 'hack' some unsupported firmware into the brand new equipment they sold me...

paulwye

join:2007-02-17
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

I'm going to ask the semi-obvious question, with some hesitation, because it's hard to properly convey tone on the internet...but...

Why did you order a /28 in the first place? I'm not suggesting you don't need it, but I wonder if maybe you've ended up with something you don't actually require...? The reason I ask is that generally....and here's the part where I really don't mean to offend...if you know enough to think you need a subnet, you probably know how to set it up/what to do with it.

FWIW: whether you order residential or business, on Bell DSL or Teksavvy DSL, you're going to get a Sagemcom. Yes, this modem apparently has a speed limitation if you use it in bridge mode (the hack notwithstanding, but I agree that having to implement it is obnoxious). Not the first time a modem issued by Bell/Telus/Rogers/Aliant has had bad firmware, and probably not the last. There are a great many people here who are hoping this will be fixed with a firmware update, along with the intermittent 'sync no surf' issue (I include myself in the latter group). Yes, all of this blows.

But that aside....and this goes back to my second paragraph...if your requirements are such that you need a subnet, they're probably such that you need a more serious piece of routing hardware anyway (and perhaps a firewall...?). And since you're paying $240/yr. for that subnet, on top of the DSL fees themselves, a ~$100 router to support it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Truly, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I don't like being one of those people who says "no no, you're doing it wrong." But sometimes a better understanding of the problem's scope helps to produce better suggestions.

notfred

join:2012-09-15

1 edit
reply to Stephanie4
said by Stephanie4:

So my option is to buy additional hardware and then 'hack' some unsupported firmware into the brand new equipment they sold me...

Yup, and there is a proceeding before the CRTC currently over the VDSL modem situation. From my reading of it Bell have admitted to the CRTC that customers should be able to use any compatible modem. At the same time they currently force all customers (Retail and Wholesale) to purchase a new Sagemcom when the VDSL is provisioned.

Edit Proceeding is 2013-80 listed on the CRTC website »services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/instance ··· Lang=eng

Stephanie4

join:2013-08-27
reply to paulwye
Thanks for the reply and no worries about the question. I get that it's not typical for a 'residential user'. Clearly it's not typical for Teksavvy. The second tech support guy I spoke to claimed he had done hundreds of installs but had never seen static IPs.

I'm running a small cloud-computing business and have a handful of servers to set up. We're downsizing and moving out of an office in an industrial-park and into my house. Teksavvy's business group convinced me to use their residential service as it was "identical but cheaper" to their business service.

I don't need all 14 IPs but there's nothing in between 6 and 14, for obvious reasons.

Cheers!