join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to Steve

Premium Member

to Steve

Re: IT consultant pissing match?

said by Steve:

said by battleop:

Consultant is really just an industry term for someone who knows what they learned in a CCNA Boot Camp but they have no real world experience.

Not always.

I'm with Battleop on this one. At least as it pertains to our wireless field/industry from what I have seen.

My comment isn't really meant to be an insult either. It's just every site I have been to in regards to unlicensed radio's is a total hack job. UBNT radio's (to name one) that aren't set up properly, in improper frequencies, with improper and illegal power outputs all over the place (thank you FCC for mandating proper firmware to fix some of that issue). Just because someone knows how to turn a radio on, does not make them a "professional installer" by ANY means..
/rant
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by gunther_01:

said by Steve:

said by battleop:

Consultant is really just an industry term for someone who knows what they learned in a CCNA Boot Camp but they have no real world experience.

Not always.

I'm with Battleop on this one. At least as it pertains to our wireless field/industry from what I have seen.

I agree with the highlighted parts ... when merged together.

The WISP industry is full of "consultants" whose experience is mainly installing and configuring radios for their own networks. Often they do not have sufficient knowledge of networking - either wired or wireless.

Consultants are despised but some wisps do need help and even ask for it ... a good example using 3 related threads.

2005 July: wisp needs help - buys a book
»System design questions....

2005 Nov: starts looking for consultants
»consultant in Ontario or Quebec

2006 March: gets together with other wisps to be lectured by a consultant
»Anyone wish to attend a private Jack Unger teaching seminar