Dang, that's MY line!
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to LadyL

to LadyL
said by LadyL:

What's with this toolbar? I prefer the old way. I hate toolbars.
Dslr is starting to look 'junky' or whatever.
Please put it back the way it was before.
Just my 2cents.

Yep I totally agree and is their a limit now on how many times I can recommend posts ? I can't do it anymore
Expand your moderator at work

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL

Re: New 'toolbar' here at dslr !

I don't know what the problem is. Turn it off if you don't like it.

I, for one, love the minibar and would miss it if it was removed. Keep it right at the top, on the left.

The whole site in general is looking great, spiffy and polished, the way it should. Very happy with the changes.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

1 recommendation

hitachi369

Premium Member

I like the minibar as well, it took me a second to get used to it being slightly higher than the old buttons, but I like how now it is always in the same spot.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I have added 4 icons to mine already - I never bothered before it became a thread topic.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

I find it really handy, I use it a lot.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Now if we could just convince 'Da Boss' of the merits of making the Minibar IM icon blink for an unread message, especially when the bar is on the left side where I have it at present.

This is especially relevant, now that we have witnessed the blinkability of the Minibar icons with that of the 'Posts' icon.

It would make for a consistent interface of new ideas on the minibar, and would tidy up the body of the screen a bit more.

AND, we would not need to scroll up, waaaaaaaay up, all the way to the top, to know whether the old outdated method might be pulling its pants down and mooning us.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

1 recommendation

justin

Mod

here is the mic, I'm off.
I'll leave you to reply to the first person who comes complaining about the new blinky stuff.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Davesnothere

Numquam oblitus

to Davesnothere
The problem with that is that it can't tell you how many you have, nor who from.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

...to know whether the old outdated method might be pulling its pants down and mooning us.

Actually, you can use CSS to change the IM "blinky" icon to anything you want--and there's a [Skype] gif for that very thing: (though, personally, I prefer to use something else--the Yahoo! "wave").
GlennLouEarl

GlennLouEarl to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
I think he means in addition to the "old" method, just as a "hey there!" to get one's attention. (I don't really see the need myself.)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

here is the mic, I'm off.

I'll leave you to reply to the first person who comes complaining about the new blinky stuff.

Then you would also need to redirect such messages to me.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

The problem with that is that it can't tell you how many you have, nor who from.

Which is of secondary importance.

If I see the IM icon flashing on my left side Minibar and am far down on a long page, THEN and only then, I would scroll up to see the extra info, unless later a further new way were to evolve to present THAT.

But one thing at a time.
Expand your moderator at work
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl

Re: New 'toolbar' here at dslr !

said by GlennLouEarl:

I think he means in addition to the "old" method, just as a "hey there!" to get one's attention.

(I don't really see the need myself.)

By Jove, he's GOT it !

(Read my last few posts to see the need.)

If I have to keep scrolling up to check for new IMs, it's a waste of time, and/or I will miss seeing some of them sooner.

If I only scroll when I see something telling me to do so, that's better.

Or, I could just click the then-blinking IM icon on my Left side Minibar and go directly to the IM console.

And using the Top setting for minibar costs me my more valuable vertical space, so please do not suggest that I do THAT.

I have also recently grown to prefer Vertical site navigation, again to conserve vertical space for the actual web pages' content.

= = = = = = =

BTW, nice emoticon !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Furthermore, my Windows task bar has been on the left side for over a decade, since Win 98 days, long before the WIDE (aka Less Tall) screens came along.

Same reason.

If someone were to offer me a skin for IE8, one which would let me put the link bar and open tabs bar each to the left side, THAT would constitute 'Browser Nirvana/Utopia' for me.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Yeah--maybe BBR should adopt the (mooning) smiley into the "click me" group? (or as just one of those extra emoticons that are seldom seen) This place really could use a more diverse and "robust" smiley function.

Anyway, I don't "see the need" for me since I'm not really concerned with seeing right away if there's an IM since it's fairly likely that my next page load will reveal the top of the page anyway. I'm just not an "up-to-the-moment" kind of guy--whenever is fine with me.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by GlennLouEarl:

....This place really could use a more diverse and "robust" smiley function.....

True that !

BTW, I just added that More Emoticons page to my Minibar.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Midwest

Gizy to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Or you could put your DSLR toolbar at the top. It doesn't move as I scroll down the page, I see my icons, online friends, and IM's all the time. AND I see who the IM's are from. Problem solved.

Of all the changes, this is one of my favorite.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gizy:

Or you could put your DSLR toolbar at the top....

I like the new version of the Minibar too, for several reasons, but I also posted about why I do not regard putting it at the top as an optimum solution (already tried it there), in my 3rd previous post.

Yet you still suggested it.

If 'Da Boss' can make one icon on the bar blink, surely he can make just one more do so, at the appropriate time of course.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Midwest

Gizy

Premium Member

I have all threads here at 100 per page. This one is on page 2. No, I'm not going to go back to re-read the thread to post directly to one post. While putting the toolbar at the top isn't optimal for you, it might be for others and my comments are still valid.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Yes they are.

And so are mine.

The issue/request which I am raising is to have notification of IMs placed ON the new Minibar, in ALL positions of the bar, and it would not be a huge task for it to be made so.

(I am not suggesting to change how the top position of the bar looks or works.)

Then we both could be optimally happy with our choices of Minibar position.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

there is no space in a vertical bar to show the names of people sending ims without awkward floating windows.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Again, please, I am only asking to have the current Minibar IM icon flash for an unread IM, for left (or right) positioning of the Minibar.

Whatever happens at the top of the page (on or separate from the Minibar) does not need to change.

Then the user would either scroll up to see the details, or just click the IM icon it to go directly to the IM console.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

it does.
if the link is /instant the icon flashes.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Not the IM icon ON the minibar.

I tested right after you said that I 'had the mic' and just tested again (by sending myself an IM).

Only the stuff which always happened at the top (just to the right of the DSLR logo) still happens.

Is this another browser issue, or are we misunderstanding each other ?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

if you are on a page and someone sends a message it will start blinking. Does for me anyway. if you load a page with unread, it doesn't, but the im indicator is right there at the top anyway.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by justin:

if you are on a page and someone sends a message it will start blinking.
Does for me anyway.

if you load a page with unread, it doesn't, but the im indicator is right there at the top anyway.

Well if that ain't a son of a birch !

I repeated my test in FF 14 and it works like a charm, flashing to tell me of the IM which I had already sent myself using IE.

Looks like another IE8 anomaly, which in this particular case is especially unexpected, because the 'Posts' icon right below it flashes exactly as it should, in either browser, and even does so in IE6 on my older Win2K Thinkpad.

What would it take to make IE8 behave for the IM icon ?