spc
uniqs
Dymis
join:2004-04-08
Thornhill, ON

Dymis to Switchtekk

to Switchtekk

Re: [INTERNET] How to switch from teksavvy

I'm considering making the move as well.

How do I know that if I am switching from Teksavvy Cable to Start Cable that I won't run into the same problem? I am currently down for a week and a bit now.

I know this forum seems to have less posts about issues, but I don't want to jump ship from one ISP just to have the same problem again.

What is the turn around time for the jump? I will be going on vacation next Friday and I wanted to know if I could get everything up and running by then.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

on the connection issues. it's going to be just a guess. Maybe start has better communication with rogers and can get your issue resolved or rogers is just having issues with everyone in your area like tek keeps stating to people. When you transfer who knows rogers may look at your connection and see its down and fix it then.

On the other stuff sure start worker can answer that.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Dymis

to Dymis
said by Dymis:

I'm considering making the move as well.

How do I know that if I am switching from Teksavvy Cable to Start Cable that I won't run into the same problem? I am currently down for a week and a bit now.

I know this forum seems to have less posts about issues, but I don't want to jump ship from one ISP just to have the same problem again.

What is the turn around time for the jump? I will be going on vacation next Friday and I wanted to know if I could get everything up and running by then.

right now there's a few issues going on affecting TSI users, one affects all users and that's signal issues where you lose sync. this will affect Start, TSI and Rogers users too. however it can be fixed eventually and it's a matter of the ISP putting in a support ticket to get it resolved.

the other issue seems to be DHCP issues. I'm not sure what causes this, but based on what Marc has mentioned Rogers isn't able to add enough new IP blocks from TSI fast enough and this causes them to run out of IPs for TSI users.

I suppose the DHCP issue could affect Start one day, but I suspect it's happening on TSI way more because how large they are and their growth compared to Start and other TPIAs (TSI is more "mainstream").

maybe rocca can comment if Start has had some DHCP issues these last 2 months, but I haven't really seen anything posted here on the forums.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Dymis

Premium Member

to Dymis
We're having a similar problem with a tiny fraction of our customers in the Bloor POI (about 20 customers total all located in the same general area in Toronto) that all started on August 16th. I am suspecting a bad node split or firmware update to the CMTS/node - but Rogers has not been able to isolate/fix the problem in nearly two weeks and it's gone beyond ridiculous with escalations all the way up to their senior management team.

I'm not sure if you're in the same affected area or if they are having a similar problem somewhere else, but their claims are likely legitimate. We aren't seeing this problem in other areas, nor are having DHCP issues, but the issue we're seeing with these 20'ish customers is certainly unprecedented and action is happening behind the scenes to work towards the elimination of these types of shenanigans in the future.