how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada

4 edits

[Cable] Speedboost dead after Comstock migration?

Shortly after or before Comstock was migrated, it appears as though one of three things has happened for me around the former McNicoll POI area: I'm hard capped/throttled at 45 Mbps down, speedboost has been disabled (at no point in my speedtests do I ever exceed 45 Mbps), or (very mild) congestion is now occurring as a result of Comstock being migrated.

I am on 45/4. My speedtest graphs are now almost completely horizontal, whereas before there would be a sharp spike upward (due to speedboost) at the beginning before dropping and levelling off.

QoS is disabled.

DMC476

Status Code: Operational
Software Version: STAC.02.50
Software Model: a81a
Bootloader: 2.3.1

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 663.0 MHz 2.4 dBmV 40.7 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 615.0 MHz 1.4 dBmV 40.2 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 621.0 MHz 1.7 dBmV 40.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 633.0 MHz 2.1 dBmV 40.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 639.0 MHz 2.1 dBmV 40.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 645.0 MHz 2.1 dBmV 40.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 651.0 MHz 2.4 dBmV 40.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 657.0 MHz 2.4 dBmV 40.6 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
5 22.1 MHz 40.0 dBmV 64 QAM
1 31.3 MHz 40.8 dBmV 64 QAM
2 25.3 MHz 40.0 dBmV 64 QAM
6 38.6 MHz 41.0 dBmV 64 QAM
Data Service Details
Provisioned Address: Yes
Provisioned Time: Yes
Provisioned Configuration: Yes
BPI: Enabled

Normally, I would see much higher results from Teksavvy's server at 10:52 a.m. in the morning. More importantly all my speedtests seem to indicate speedboost simply isn't occurring anymore.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Re: [Cable] (McNicoll) speedboost dead/Comstock migration?

Your stats are excellent... But the lack of speedboost is interesting...
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to Webslingerac
I don't mean to be flippant but my reaction is "And your problem is?" I presume your provisioned speed is 45 ?

Webslingerac

canada

1 edit
said by sbrook:

I don't mean to be flippant but my reaction is "And your problem is?

Speedboost appears to be dead with Teksavvy around the former McNicoll POI area at least.

quote:
I presume your provisioned speed is 45 ?

I stated as much in the OP. That has nothing to do with speedboost being gone.

falkon21

join:2004-02-27
reply to Webslingerac
I noticed this starting last night for me as well. I cannot get more than my 18mbps down from any server. Definitely strange.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

I don't mean to be flippant but my reaction is "And your problem is?" I presume your provisioned speed is 45 ?

Hehe, given the massive problems others are having, the OP should be happier than a woodpecker in a lumber yard!
--

Webslingerac

canada
Wow, so people shouldn't point out potential issues or note that speedboost appears to be gone?

I guess we should just hold hands and write adoring posts about our ISP.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Webslingerac:

Wow, so people shouldn't point out potential issues or note that speedboost appears to be gone?

I guess we should just hold hands and write adoring posts about our ISP.

Nah, not saying that...

But speaking of speedboost and TPIA's... Is it written anywhere in the tariffs or other documentation that TPIA's are supposed to receive it? Or is it simply a byproduct of what Rogers customers get, and maybe now Rogers found a way to filter it from TPIA's, and perhaps is slowly changing that across their network?
--

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Webslingerac
Seeing similar result:

If this something new that's permanent, it's probably how Rogers intended to provision TPIA accounts originally. SpeedBoost was their own marketing gimmick and it's pretty useless when the Standard/Express speed is now 25Mbps down.

Webslingerac

canada
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

maybe now Rogers found a way to filter it from TPIA's, and perhaps is slowly changing that across their network?

I believe I, at least, am being filtered.

I have no clue about your other questions; I am sure if Rogers doesn't have to provide speedboost, they will find a way not to in order to distinguish their service as being better.

Webslingerac

canada
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Your stats are excellent...

Yeah, I just posted them to show signal isn't the issue.

But the lack of speedboost is interesting...

Exactly

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Webslingerac

Re: [Cable] Speedboost dead after Comstock migration?

I understand that with Start, there is no speedboost and that they actually overprovision the modems ... so a 45 Mbps plan is provisioned at 50 but without speedboost, so that way, most of the time they exceed plan speed.

And I didn't mean to come across negatively ... but I took what you said quite literally as one of three options. That said, since you were getting your published speed, I wasn't quite sure why you were concerned. As pointed out, it's not as if speedboost really does a lot now that we're all at such high speeds anyway!

radio

join:2013-08-27
reply to Webslingerac
I am with rogers, and it is interesting you mention it because depends on the time of the day i run speedtest. Sometimes i have speedboost and sometimes not, most of the time i have no speedboost.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Webslingerac
Since migration to ATPIA here, I still get SpeedBoost but it either occurs much less frequently or its effects occur over a much shorter time period.

Here's my latest speed test:

I won't tell you what speed profile I'm on but it should be ridiculously easy to guess.

My speed test graph normally shows a spike at the beginning but it appears for less than a second and is clearly not long enough to affect the overall average. This is very tight control, almost looks like shaping of some sort. (Is this done at the CMTS or is there more complex equipment that does this? It's not the modem, I wouldn't think it would have the power and it only tells the CMTS what speed profile it's set at via the speed profile file loaded in it.)

This wasn't the case at all when I was on 28/1 disaggregated. SpeedBoost almost always had a large effect. I can see this by my old results on speedtest.net for sure.

I'm not complaining given the huge problems lots of TSI customers have been facing for weeks now (knocks on wood feverishly) but it's interesting.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
I suspect that they've tightened the speedboost parameters on Comstock, probably due to limited backhaul bandwidth which would affect all customers

Webslingerac

canada

2 edits
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

I understand that with Start, there is no speedboost and that they actually overprovision the modems ... so a 45 Mbps plan is provisioned at 50 but without speedboost, so that way, most of the time they exceed plan speed.

Interesting. I wonder if 50/4 is worth $5 more per month.

That said, since you were getting your published speed, I wasn't quite sure why you were concerned.

I'm noting that I believe speedboost is dead with Teksavvy. I'm not sure I'm concerned--unless speedboost isn't dead, and what I'm observing is a sign that there's another migration screwup going on with Rogers.

Webslingerac

canada

2 edits
reply to radio
said by radio:

I am with rogers, and it is interesting you mention it because depends on the time of the day i run speedtest. Sometimes i have speedboost and sometimes not, most of the time i have no speedboost.

What you're observing is likely explained by local congestion during prime time

My neighbour is on Rogers and speedboost is always active and easily observed.

Webslingerac

canada
reply to Fraoch
said by Fraoch:

My speed test graph normally shows a spike at the beginning but it appears for less than a second

Yes, that happened before Comstock migration, but around the former McNicoll POI area, at least, that doesn't occur anymore.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
I think it's a local issue related to the congestion etc. There were lots of speed and capacity problems on Dupont when it was created from Bloor and Etob as them moved the cabling. And they undersized the backhauls. Now it may be that they've chosen to limit the TPIAs who offer higher bandwidth more than their own customers.

But they certainly haven't disabled speedboost in other parts of the rogers footprint.

Robleh

join:2009-07-14
canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Webslingerac

Yup noticed that also

monsoon66

join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON
reply to Webslingerac
I'm on Comstock and i have been noticing that there was no speedboost even before the POI was changed over.

Grump

join:2012-11-07
London, ON
reply to TypeS

I'm also in London and speedboost disappeared around 4am. My modem went offline for about 10 minutes, and when it came back I ran a speedtest and speedboost was gone.

Webslingerac

canada
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

I think it's a local issue related to the congestion etc.

I get the same results constantly, even at 9:30 p.m. on weeknights and in the morning. So, I don't believe what I'm observing can be explained by local congestion. Perhaps you're referring to the general congestion issue that was affecting everyone previously?

quote:
And they undersized the backhauls.
Ugh

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Grump

Well, spoke too soon ... I still have SOME speedboost, but nothing like before.

I got a flyer in the mail today from Rogers advertising "Certified Speed" ... Is this maybe the reason »www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal···ertified

There now appears to be only 1 reference to "Speed Boost" on Rogers site ... and that is a "residual reference" in Speed Preview.

Mebbe they *are* getting rid of it

highwire

join:2013-08-27
Nepean, ON
reply to Webslingerac

I am not seeing any speedboost on the Fallowfield POI any more either, even at 3:30am.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sbrook

I still see it at work on the 60/10 Rogers Business package, but its very short. It peaks to about 90-100 for not even half a second, then settles down to 60 quickly.

What's odd is that i'm actually able to hit 10mbps on the upstream... before it was always 9.80-9.85 max... they did tweak something maybe.

--

ukcanadian

join:2013-07-29
Brampton, ON
reply to Webslingerac

Speedboost also dead for me, in Brampton L6X area. Was there last night for sure!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to Webslingerac
Speedboost only works when there's plenty of node capacity. it's not always on, and besides it's 99% worthless, so stop caring about it.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
said by jmck:

Speedboost only works when there's plenty of node capacity. it's not always on, and besides it's 99% worthless, so stop caring about it.

correct, also to op i initially wasnt get much of a speedboost initially, my prob was my router couldnt handle it, connected modem directly to my comp w/gig port and speedboost was there, on a 25/2 connection it would blib over 100mb

sakraycore

join:2008-01-08
Scarborough, ON
reply to Webslingerac
It just means there isn't enough capacity to go around.