Search similar:

uniqs
cameler1989
join:2013-04-18

1 edit

cameler1989

Cable internet outage

Hello,

Since August the 18th of this month, I have not had the cable internet service that I am signed up for. It started around noon, I believe it was precisely at noon that Sunday that the signal just died.

I called tech support that evening only to get a reply that there are outages in my area and that I should wait for a resolution. However, this outage has continued in my area, which I find mystifying.

Since that Sunday, I called tech support a few more times and on the 19th I believe, tech support told me I could not gain a support ticket from Rogers unless my modem was up to date regarding the firmware. Apparently, Rogers will not give service to people that have modems that have slightly older firmware. I had the STAC.02.31 firmware on the Thomson DCM 476, while apparently I should have had the STAC.02.50 to receive support that day.

OK, so the next step was to replace my modem, which is under warranty. This process took approximately 3 days but eventually I did receieve the new modem at no charge (free shipping).

Thus, last Friday, having the new modem in my hands I thought I would be able to have my cable internet service finally after a whole week of productivity had gone down the drain, but I was unpleasantly surprised that Rogers had to provision my modem.

An escalation was sent to Rogers on Friday, then another one on Monday, and I have no idea how many escalation this will take until it gets resolved. I get the feeling that Rogers does not have to answer to my escalation request at all and they can just ignore me all they want.

This does not make me a happy customer of TSI, however, I do realize what kind of a company I am dealing with in ROgers so I have held off on cancellation. However, my patience is wearing thin.

So right now, my connection is in limbo. To summarize, I am waiting for Rogers to provision my modem (which is taking approximately 5 days so far). I am also uncertain whether or not this whole problem was caused by the cable internet outage to begin with. Maybe I have been wasting my time doing all these upgrades for the firmware and the shipping, calling in, and listening to your terrible choice of sirius satellite radio on the phone.

I am on the scarlett POI, and I have a question for any of the admins on here.

Is there still an outage in my area?

Keep in mind I want concrete answers for these if you want me to stay as a customer.

I want to know, is the cable internet outage affecting only TSI cable internet customers or ROgers as well.

I demand to know how you think it is acceptable to have someone cut off from online access for this long without consequences. In the real world if I make a terrible first impression as a business owner, I am not going to be receiving any future business from the customer I angered. Why do you think you're special?

When is the outage going to be resolved? I want a specific date when all issues will be resolved.

Is it normal for my modem's diagnostic page to show no signal whatsoever when I enter the troubleshooting page? Have other customers reported the same during this outage?

Also, is there any accountability that ROgers has to resolve my issue? DO they have to respond to my provision request or are we going to keep sending in childish "escalations" that no one gives a damn about.

At this point, I would pay you 100 dollars just to get my damn account prioritized over all other customers to get some internet service. THis isnt about money with me, if I knew this outage would take place for this long I would have bought and subscribed to a secondary DSL connection that would be rock solid and that would have allowed me to maintain my business activity.

So, I want all these questions answered as soon as possible and I don't want to hear "we dont know when we're going to be up and running". If you don't know.... then WHO CAN????

Thanks for reading my essay that I am writing from a public library in Toronto.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

1 edit

TLS2000

Premium Member

If you don't have an outage in your area now, what is happening is that it's taking Rogers forever to provision your modem. They seem to be delayed by about 2 weeks on requests for service nowadays.
Expand your moderator at work
shtonut
join:2013-08-28
Scarborough, ON

shtonut to cameler1989

to cameler1989

Re: Cable internet outage

sounds like i'm in the exact same boat. lost service on the sunday, was told it was my cable. I connected directly to the demarcation point, still didn't work. next CSR tells me my modem is too old and rogers kicked me off the network (SA webstar modem). Fine, some warning would have been nice, I don't mind getting a new modem. So I did, and it arrived on friday, supposed to have been pre-provisioned. It wasn't. Now it's tuesday and apparently rogers still hasn't even looked at my ticket. TSI has supposedly escalated 3 times to no avail. This is ridiculous....

ShawnS
Business Solutions Agent
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

ShawnS to cameler1989

Premium Member

to cameler1989
Hello cameler1989,

Thank you for your questions,

Sorry for the delayed response.
said by cameler1989:

Is there still an outage in my area?

There are no reported issues in your area at this time.
said by cameler1989:

I want to know, is the cable internet outage affecting only TSI cable internet customers or ROgers as well.

It may be possible that it is affecting the incumbent. However I cannot confirm this.
said by cameler1989:

I demand to know how you think it is acceptable to have someone cut off from online access for this long without consequences. In the real world if I make a terrible first impression as a business owner, I am not going to be receiving any future business from the customer I angered. Why do you think you're special?

It isn't acceptable. We agree with you. We are doing all we can to have these delays/issues rectified as quickly as possible.
said by cameler1989:

When is the outage going to be resolved? I want a specific date when all issues will be resolved.

We rely on our vendor to provide us with these details. However we never have an exact date and time on when issues will get resolved. No ETA provided.
said by cameler1989:

Is it normal for my modem's diagnostic page to show no signal whatsoever when I enter the troubleshooting page? Have other customers reported the same during this outage?

If there is absolutely no signal coming to the home, then yes, 0 for all the signal levels is normal.
said by cameler1989:

Also, is there any accountability that ROgers has to resolve my issue? DO they have to respond to my provision request or are we going to keep sending in childish "escalations" that no one gives a damn about.

Again, We are doing all we can to have these delays/issues rectified as quickly as possible. Thank you for your continued patience.

Thank you.
TSI Shawn S
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

4 edits

xdrag to cameler1989

to cameler1989

lol, first world problems: no internet, talking down about the homeless and having to work at a "public" library.

The OP situation sucks but you definitely need to respect human beings around you more. Being homeless doesn't make someone terrible. you can still be respectful of others from a more privileged position. Maybe a trip to a 3rd world country will make you start understanding how privileged we are in 1st world nations. sounds like the OP hasn't found their maturity yet and live off mom and dad's paycheck.

some poor family in the canada is not worrying about their internet, they are worrying when they are getting their next meal on the table.

A billionaire might think you're scum too. No designer clothes, no yacht, no mansion, no private jet, no supercar, no beautiful models, no personal chef, no caviar, no private fiber internet. How do you even live like that?...what a scum

Malik
@209.141.167.x

Malik to xdrag

Anon

to xdrag

Even a third world country never have such a problem where there is no internet for ten days. A classic example of pathetic oligopoly. Here nobody bothers. We all are screaming and hovering here and there for internet but the innocent management don't have a idea which areas are having problems. They are keep wasting time of consumers by asking technical questions. There is no regulatory body or check on these draconian companies. I am in tenth day and no cable internet in Mississauga L5A. I have lost hope eventually.
kanatamike
join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON

kanatamike to cameler1989

to cameler1989
Wow....a lot of posts were removed from this topic.....

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

one word: ROGERS
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag to Malik

to Malik
said by Malik :

Even a third world country never have such a problem where there is no internet for ten days. A classic example of pathetic oligopoly. Here nobody bothers. We all are screaming and hovering here and there for internet but the innocent management don't have a idea which areas are having problems. They are keep wasting time of consumers by asking technical questions. There is no regulatory body or check on these draconian companies. I am in tenth day and no cable internet in Mississauga L5A. I have lost hope eventually.

Unfortunately, that is very untrue. Only 30% of people in developing countries have internet and the cost is usually very high (to their standards) or they don't have the equipment (computers) and/or the reliability sucks. Rotating black/brown outs can cause servers to go down.

But you are right, Canada was a world leader that has fallen behind in speed and network infrastructure because of our lack of competition. Many euro/asian areas have much better developed infrastructure than us (and the states with FIOS and google fiber)

Anyways this is off topic and it seems like the OP has gone silent.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gl ··· et_usage
System

to cameler1989

Anon

to cameler1989
System Post
this topic has been closed

Reason: run its course