how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mcb

join:2005-05-21
San Francisco, CA

Update on negotiating with AT&T retention dept

My $35/mo promo rate for 18 mbps u-verse DSL just expired. I called the 1-800-ATT-2020 number was offered nothing. I asked to be transferred to retention. They initially offered $15 off the $56 standard rate with a year commitment or $10 off with no commitment. I chose the latter. To that, the CSR responded, "let me check with my manager for any manager's special." The "manager's special" was 50% off with a year commitment, or $28/mo. I took that.

What a silly game.

DnEtDe6c

join:2007-02-02
Athens, GA
How long have you been a customer?

Are there competitors in your neighborhood you could have conceivably switched to? It's hard to negotiate when you don't have any plausible alternatives.

TestBoy
Premium
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·tw telecom
reply to mcb
It really is a silly game.
The last time they offered me a deal was because I told them the plain truth...
Time Warner's roving sales people offered me a deep discount to change and tried to sell me their new 50 meg tier. I asked if I could keep my TV and dump the internet to give it a shot and they offered me a deal to NOT do it.

It was a situation where at the time it was 18 vs 50 and I work from home so
the more bandwidth I get the better - but mostly upstream.
18 down isn't making a difference but the upstream does.

That goes along with a contract, and I don't mind it because UVerse vs. TWC was no contest when TWC was going down weekly for hours at a time and UVerse goes down for 30 minutes once every 6 months during a lightning storm.

I have a competitor for internet access being TWC.
I think everyone has an option for TV usually the cable company, or one of the dish providers.
They don't need to know that you have a big tree in the way making dish a sketchy option.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to mcb
said by mcb:

What a silly game.

Indeed; and it sometimes takes repeated calls to get past the, "No!" My new ISP does not play that game. Just a reasonable, non-promotional price (about half what AT&T was charging for the same bundle of ADSL and voice services).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to mcb
it's actually been easy for me. Every year my discounts expire, I make 1 phone call, lasts 10 minutes and I am done. The key is I enter my neighbor's address(who doesn't have uverse) to see what it would cost for a new customer for the same services I have. I told that to retention last time, and not only did they give me the new customer price for our bundle, but they also doubled our internet and added the movie package for free.
--
No Victim=No Crime

drowningape

join:2013-04-08
united state

1 recommendation

reply to mcb
The magic phrase is "I will cancel my service if I don't get a better rate". Retention reps are actually encouraged to give promos, and are expected to have a certain number of "saves" per day. They will give you a low-ball offer first, and then a good promo if you say the low-ball offer isn't good enough. If you are pleasant, they will help you, if you act like a dick, don't expect much.

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC
reply to mcb
I had a 50 percent off for 12 months with contract retention deal with AT&T, but when I upgraded from the max turbo plan to the power plan they removed that retention promotion and replaced it with $10 off for 12 months without giving me a y notice about the change, I'm not very happy I called them and got nowhere with customer service I posted in the direct form 2 days ago and have not heard from anybody I called a contact at the office of the president 3 days ago and have not heard from her either when I placed the order it said nothing about removing that promotion how can I agree to a 12 month contract with AT&T and after having it for only 2 months they removed it without even telling me?
--
»www.w4lny.com

JTIZZLE614

join:2013-07-09
Columbus, OH
reply to drowningape
I had to call them today I have 3 receivers plus my dvr u300 and 24/3 been paying 136.plus some change for 2yrs they upgraded me 45/6 for 10 dollars more plus gave 100.credit im very happy the only down side is my install date for the new gateway sept 19 lol

SAMSAMHA

join:2006-03-17
Los Angeles, CA
reply to mcb
wow 35month for 18mbps. man that's great deal. I am so dumb for taking my deal to switch to uverse now:).

Porthos

@sbcglobal.net
reply to dbeatson
I suppose the fact that you initiated the changes in your service has nothing to do with it? Many organizations will apply the new rules to any "contract" when the user makes a change. I don't see where this is any different.

Different service = different rules

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC
If I have a two year contract with AT&T wireless with 10GB's of data and change to 20GB's of data because I am using more that doesn't change or cancel my contract, when I had U-Verse TV I had a 1 year contract I changed from U450 to U300 but again it didn't change my contract or the promotions.

in this case I am keeping internet service and my static ip's I just asked for a higher speed tier and when I did it did not say the change was going to cancel the 12 month contract that was in place.
--
»www.w4lny.com

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to drowningape
I admit I never tried that ploy. But there really is a competitive provider in my area; and when AT&T implemented caps, I didn't threaten them with the possibility of jumping ship. I just did it.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Porthos

@sbcglobal.net
I did the same thing but went from a cable provider to AT&T because they offered the best service at my price point.

I've never suffered from such a large ego as to believe that my business with any company, regardless of my connections to anyone in power, was really very important to that company.

money69

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mcb
I just renewed my agreement like 2 weeks ago. They have a promo for 50% off the normal price. I got that for 1 yr. My 18mbps speed is like $28 which is less than the $35 I was previously paying.

blondie2

join:2002-07-21
Titusville, FL
My intro rate just expired. ATT called today to offer TV service. I mentioned that I wouldn't change due to uverse not being as reliable as DSL. I got transferred around to various groups and the only thing they would offer me was $5 off the next higher speed. Guess I'll have to try again.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to drowningape
said by drowningape:

The magic phrase is "I will cancel my service if I don't get a better rate".

I tried that last time, about 18 months ago, and they let me go to Time Warner. I told them Time Warner had a better deal, about $15 cheaper for 15 Mbps instead of 12 Mbps, and they just asked what day I wanted to end the service. So maybe something has changed again, or maybe it depends on the market or the rep.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

mcb

San Francisco, CA
reply to mcb
One year later, but this time I didn't get a great deal. I was offered $15 off the current $61 price for a one year commitment or $10 off with no commitment. Time to think about switching.

my thoughts

@24.209.161.x
Considering NEW customer pricing is $16.05 off LIST with a one year commitment, $15 is a good deal for existing customer with new commitment and $10 off with no commitment (no $180 early termination fee) I think is great.

aham23

join:2014-08-15
US
It's not a silly game. It's big money making business. I imagine millions let these initial deals expire & pay "full" price.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to mcb
I recently had a very good experience with the retention department. Our discounts had expired so I called and had a nice conversation with the representative. She found discounts on all of our services for us without any type of argument. In addition, we received a mailing from AT&T yesterday telling us we were qualified to receive a very nice AT&T reward from them! The retention representative hadn't even told me about that.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

mcb

San Francisco, CA
reply to my thoughts
Two other providers in San Francisco (unfortunately not available to me) provide 100/200 Mbps access for about $40/mo (webpass) or 8-20 Mbps for $35 (monkeybrains). Sonic is another option, but phone line comes bundled which I don't want - 20 Mbps for $60/mo. So compared to list price, I guess my discount is okay - but not compared to the competition.

mcb

San Francisco, CA
reply to Msradell
The CSR was pleasant enough. The incremental cost to AT&T of my usage is near-zero. AT&T has a utility mentality and no interest in innovation or competition (IMHO).