uniqs

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY

Premium Member

Looking for an Acanac user in Montreal

Who is currently using the unlimited 30/10 tier for $59.95 monthly. I am in the process of cutting my Videotron cable TV teat completely, and I am going to go with a combination of Netflix, HuluPlus, and an OTA antenna for CFCF and CBC locally. Right now I am paying $80/month for complete crap. Even when I add in the $5 for Unblock.us, the whole total comes to 8+8+5 instead of 80. I just bought an Apple TV 3 and will use this to stream.

Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.......

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

FWIW

I was on Ebox for over a year and they are excellent. Also on Videotron's backbone so whatever you are getting now, you should experience the same with Acanac.

I'm trying out Acanac right now for their DSL. Everything was setup through Paul here on the forums and has been great. Paul has been top notch and really has gone over and above. I can't say enough good about him.

I'm getting the full profile 25/10 and have been pushing the network hard 24/7 since I was hooked up last Thursday with no slow downs/glitches whatsoever.

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44

bluebaron2 to SHY

Mod

to SHY
»Acanac
bridge
join:2008-08-11
Montreal, QC

1 edit

bridge to SHY

to SHY
I'm using cable from acanac, so far no major problem, the only thing is the activation, it can take up to 15 days (in my case it took 14 days from the day the order was done((they even call 2 days in advance to confirm the date the tech will be there and about 30 to 45 minute before he actually show up). T

he other thing, i took month to month payment at first just in case something went wrong with the connection specially since some customer did have problem with the refund process.

I get the speed advertise, since i'm only using them for less than a month, i can't comment on the reduce speed they are talking about on their website(Peak Hour Rate Limit - 7PM to 12AM 15Mbps/2Mbps) so far i never saw any limit in my speed. You can go to their community forum for more info on this speed limit: »community.acanac.com/aca ··· ommunity

From what i did read there, they didn't reduce the speed yet.

As for the tech support, i never had to contact them so can't really say anything about it.
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3 to SHY

to SHY
i'm using acanac... 30/3 unlimited. never had a single problem.

i wish zazeen will go into open beta sooner.

If you plan switching, I can send you my name for referal if you don't mind
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

1 edit

julienvf to SHY

to SHY
On acanac cable 30/10 since September 2012: one simple word: awesome. Even they advertise "guaranteed speed min. 15mbps" at peak hours, I've seen slower speed a handful of time last year especially at fall when it's rainy outside at 9-10pm when everyone has nothing else to do than being in front of his computer.. Check out my review/speedtest on my profile page.

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY

Premium Member

Julien, if you want to take advantage of the $59.95 rate, do you have to prepay the whole year in advance, or do you just have to agree to a 12 month contract?
One other thing, can you indeed bring over your own modem or do you HAVE to buy one of theirs?

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by SHY:

Julien, if you want to take advantage of the $59.95 rate, do you have to prepay the whole year in advance, or do you just have to agree to a 12 month contract?
One other thing, can you indeed bring over your own modem or do you HAVE to buy one of theirs?

You have to pay up front for the special rate.

I'm not sure what you have for a modem but Paul told me I could bring my DMC475 if I went the cable route.

mike_art03a
join:2011-02-20
Gatineau, QC

mike_art03a

I'll chime in here real quick (former customer of Acanac). You can purchase your own cable modem as long as it's on the list of approved devices. Seeing as they use Videotron's infrastructure, they're very picky about which brands they use. Motorola cable modems are usually a safe bet or Arris (that's the modem Videotron sent me for my cable internet).

Other than that, Acanac's been a great bunch, but their tech support can be a little wonky at times. And yes, you have to prepay your full year in advance to qualify for the special rates. However, you can cancel anytime and they'll reimburse the remaining balance (they did for me when I had to cancel [damn Bell was giving me issues with the phone lines in my building]).