Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

[OOL] Cable Modem rebooting every day

I have noticed that every evening I lose internet access for a couple of minutes. Looking at my cable modem I see the LED lights re-setting as if the cable modem is re-booting itself. The cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard SBV5120 and I've had it a long time. Should I return it to one of the Optimum stores for a new replacement?
--
Go Mark Martin!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
Depends. You should definitely get it replaced, but if you have signal issues you would want to have CV come out to repair that, and replace the modem while you're there.

What are your signal levels? Any events showing in the log (like T3/T4 timeouts, for example) »192.168.100.1 admin / motorola to view that info

How is this connected? Splitter in the room? Direct line to a 2/3/More-way splitter at the point of entry in the home? Any (TV) video issues?

edit: oops, wrong password. Fixed.

KeyLogger

join:2007-08-08
reply to Gemstone
i thought they ship everyone an Arris D3.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
reply to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

Depends. You should definitely get it replaced, but if you have signal issues you would want to have CV come out to repair that, and replace the modem while you're there.

What are your signal levels? Any events showing in the log (like T3/T4 timeouts, for example) »192.168.100.1 admin / password to view that info

How is this connected? Splitter in the room? Direct line to a 2/3/More-way splitter at the point of entry in the home? Any (TV) video issues?

Do I type "admin" & "password" to login? When I do that nothing happens.

There is a 4-way splitter right where the cable enters the house. One of the split taps then goes direct to the cable modem. The others go to the TV's. There are NO issues with TV video.
--
Go Mark Martin!

KeyLogger

reply to Gemstone
Username: admin
Password: motorola

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
reply to frdrizzt
Downstream: S/N Ratio = 38 dB
Pwr = 2 dBm V
Upstream: Pwr = 54 dBm V

Looking at the log I see between 16:51 to 16:52 the following: NO RANGING RESPONSE RECEIVED - T3 TIMEOUT

Modem has been good since then.
--
Go Mark Martin!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Gemstone
Thanks, sorry about wrong password.

Upstream power is a bit high for a docsis 3 modem, so I wouldn't recommend just swapping the modem. If the splitter is old, it could cause more loss, otherwise you may have an issue with the signal into your home.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
Where do you recommend I get some good splitters? I will need a 4-way and a 2-way...
--
Go Mark Martin!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
CV should give them free. The optimum stores have 2 & 3 way splitters, but I don't think they distribute any 4-way splitters. If you can connect the modem right to the main line in the house temporarily you can see what the transmit level is. If it's ~47, then you're seeing the expected loss through a 4-way splitter (7 dB), and you will need to have CV come out to your home.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
It was the cable installer who put in the 4-way splitter a long time ago. This splitter is located right where the cable enters the house. Each tap of the 4-way splitter is labeled -7 dB. One of those 4 lines goes direct to the cable modem. I'm thinking I should just have a 2-way splitter at this location (less loss) with one of those going direct to the cable modem. All other can go to the TV's and other splitters as required for other TV's. Does that make sense?
--
Go Mark Martin!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
That would work, and is something you can easily arrange if both splitters are in the same room (easy to rewire in that case. You would want to be careful that the boxes have good levels as 3 of the 4 will then have an extra 3.5 dB loss. High transmit could cause problems with interactive features, and high receive can cause problems with audio/video problem on channels.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
Click for full size
It did it again tonight...
--
Go Mark Martin!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
You should definitely have someone come to your home & check it out, based on everything you said.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
reply to Gemstone
The easiest thing would be to change to a Docsis 3.0 modem, since you are seeing Dcc (dynamic channel changes), at the time of the problem. A docsis 3.0 modem will not have a DCC.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
said by TheWiseGuy:

The easiest thing would be to change to a Docsis 3.0 modem, since you are seeing Dcc (dynamic channel changes), at the time of the problem. A docsis 3.0 modem will not have a DCC.

Will the new modem I get from a Optimum walk-in store be a doccis 3.0?
--
Go Mark Martin!

KeyLogger

reply to Gemstone
just tell them you want a doccis 3.0
and bring your old modem to return, they will scan it's MAC label.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
said by KeyLogger:

just tell them you want a doccis 3.0
and bring your old modem to return, they will scan it's MAC label.

Thanks!
--
Go Mark Martin!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Gemstone
You will likely have different problems with a docsis 3 modem and the high Tx levels due to upstream channel bonding requiring better signals than the non-bonded modems. The end result may not be as bad, but it would be best to have the signal addressed, whether by changing the splitter orientation as described to gain back another 3.5 dB on the modem, or by having a tech come.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
said by frdrizzt:

You will likely have different problems with a docsis 3 modem and the high Tx levels due to upstream channel bonding requiring better signals than the non-bonded modems. The end result may not be as bad, but it would be best to have the signal addressed, whether by changing the splitter orientation as described to gain back another 3.5 dB on the modem, or by having a tech come.

Yup. I plan on asking for a new 4-way and 2-way splitter from the Optimum walk-in store and then re-connecting as we discussed. Do you think they will give me new splitters?
--
Go Mark Martin!

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
The walk-in center can give you a new modem install package (25' of RG-6 cable w/connectors, a 2-way 5-1002MHz splitter, cable staples, wrench, and 4-wire Phone patch cord) for Free.
Ask them if they also have a 3-way splitter in stock.
I don't know if they have 4-way splitters, but a 2 + 3 splitter combo as described above should do the job for you.
(Also, Be sure to put the TV that has the LONGEST cable run on the 3.5dB port on the 3-way.)

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
I just noticed that the cable going to my cable modem first goes to the "cable IN" of the UPS under my desktop PC. Then there is another short cable from the "cable OUT" of the UPS to the cable modem. I wonder if this is really necessary and what additional lose is thru the UPS connection?
--
Go Mark Martin!

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT
That really depends on the quality of the UPS.
Try disconnecting the UPS cable surge suppressor and go straight into the Modem.
On a properly installed cable with a ground block, an extra surge suppressor isn't necessary, IMHO.

-Tursiops_G.
--

ModemDoc

@rcn.com
reply to Gemstone
If a loop thru a UPS was needed, it would be standard on every install but the fact is that it's not needed. It's amazing some of the stuff customers put into the cable line that probably not only degrade their own signal but also possibly cause return path noise that affects others. Get rid of it!

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
said by ModemDoc :

If a loop thru a UPS was needed, it would be standard on every install but the fact is that it's not needed. It's amazing some of the stuff customers put into the cable line that probably not only degrade their own signal but also possibly cause return path noise that affects others. Get rid of it!

This was all done by the cable installer years ago! He put the 4-way splitter first before the 2-way and also said that since I had the UPS with the cable pass thru it should be used. Never had issues that I was aware of until possibly now. But I understand what you are saying and will clean up everything now that I'm aware.
--
Go Mark Martin!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to Gemstone
Take it out of the UPS and see if there's a noticeable improvement. It's the best way to tell if it was a problem or not.

ModemDoc

@rcn.com
reply to Gemstone
Unfortunately CV uses contractors form vast majority of installs and they dont have training and qualifications of in house techs. Swap the modem like others have suggested but be aware that if you have marginal signal, a D3 modem may have trouble getting online because it has channel bonding on down and upstream. Good luck.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
I removed the UPS pass thru connection and connected direct to the cable modem. These are now my power levels this morning:
--
Go Mark Martin!

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT
That alone shaved about 3dB of loss off of your signals...

Getting new splitters and re-arranging your hookup should give you about 3dB More improvement... If it does, you're well within DOCSIS 3 Modem requirements.
--

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
said by Tursiops_G:

That alone shaved about 3dB of loss off of your signals...

Getting new splitters and re-arranging your hookup should give you about 3dB More improvement... If it does, you're well within DOCSIS 3 Modem requirements.

I ordered what are supposed to be high quality, loss splitters from an ebay seller... I ordered a 2-way and a 4-way splitter. They are made by Monster Cable. I know the Monster Cable stuff is generally over priced and over hyped but these splitters looked better than the "generic" ones being sold. Here's the 4-way I bought and the 2-way is similar:

»www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-Cable-L ··· 84207a4f
--
Go Mark Martin!

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT
I would have just gone down to the CV walk-in center and gotten them there, but it's your call...

Did you need 3 TV runs, plus Modem, or 4?
--