uniqs
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError

Re: Outage Report (Ontario Wide Outage rCable)

said by InvalidError:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Time for the CRTC to mandate "essential' for internet access services. Tack on $0.33/month per customer for 2 years to fund it if need be ($0.33 x 3MM customers = $10MM/month or $120MM/year or $240MM over two years). That buys a LOT of permanent redundancy.

TSI already has "redundancy" but that does not do them any good when Rogers' network is not configured to automatically re-route when links go down. Having twice as many links wouldn't change that by much unless they use path diversity so fewer of them would be susceptible of going down at the same time. Still wouldn't help people who's traffic is trying to go through downed links though.

Throwing money at a problem is "nice" but you need to solve the root issue(s) first, otherwise you may end up creating a bigger mess than necessary.

It would be worth it to use some of a pile of money like that to 'terminate' some existing Rogers networking people, and replace them with competent ones who actually know how to design and run a network.

Newfie
join:2001-05-08
Toronto, ON

Newfie to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages

Re: Issues Report **UPDATE - August 29th,2013 9:24 PM**

When I went to the gym my internet was working, when I came back it was not (well, it was, but only about half was connectable). Related to the fibre outage. I needed to publish a website for a client so I switched to my landlord's Rogers and it was working perfectly. :|

Robleh
join:2009-07-14
canada

Robleh to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
i see rogers trucks/ "ccs" around scarlett and royal york

johnchiu
@rogers.com

johnchiu to Newfie

Anon

to Newfie
said by Newfie:

When I went to the gym my internet was working, when I came back it was not (well, it was, but only about half was connectable). Related to the fibre outage. I needed to publish a website for a client so I switched to my landlord's Rogers and it was working perfectly. :|

See, that is the problem. TSI may be shortchanged by Rogers, but you probably get things done with them. Look at the mess we have today. Rogers' fibre it May be, but it only affects TSI customers. They don't have to fix them quick.
Expand your moderator at work
MelanCola
join:2013-08-26
Mississauga, ON

MelanCola to Malik

to Malik

Re: Outage Report (Ontario Wide Outage rCable)

You and me both. I've been down for 9 days over here minutes from Wolfedale.
Jagxyz
join:2011-08-26

Jagxyz to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages

Re: Issues Report **UPDATE - August 29th,2013 9:24 PM**

DSL is still down on Brampton, yeah? I have just the power light on on my modem. Sometimes wireless comes on and the power light starts flashing.
djstyles97
join:2010-11-05

djstyles97 to Robleh

to Robleh
I'm still with terrible connection at Kipling and Eglinton... M9R... WTF

chhetri
@stsn.com

chhetri

Anon

My internet & phone has been down for almost a month now . Can anybody tell me the status of 35 Scarlett POI? I am in the Eglinton/Renforth area.

awa0327
@supralink.com

awa0327 to johnchiu

Anon

to johnchiu
I lost Internet yesterday morning and really. do not expect it back any time soon. done with tsi probably will go back to bell later today
the cure for the bell and rogers disease, their idiotic prices, lack of any respect for customers, is called Verizon. I have comcast in the us in the area they compete with Verizon, I had no service interrupted. in 6 years. my neighbors have the experience with Verizon.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by awa0327 :

the cure for the bell and rogers disease, their idiotic prices, lack of any respect for customers, is called Verizon. I have comcast in the us in the area they compete with Verizon, I had no service interrupted. in 6 years. my neighbors have the experience with Verizon.

That may be true for wireless cellphone competition, but it means diddly for wired internet. Even Verizon wouldn't run a 3rd wire to the vast majority of Canadian population within 100 miles of the US borders.
mithrandir86
join:2011-08-03
Toronto, ON

mithrandir86

The key is to sever the infrastructure from the incumbent - either force the incumbent to devolve the lines to a separate company or mandate a Chinese Wall (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch ··· ese_wall) between the service and the line.

This would create a regime where the incumbent's direct clients are serviced much the same as TPIA is now.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON

Fraoch to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Strange but I'm getting a repeat of the problem yesterday. Many websites are loading slowly or failing to load at all.

I'm wondering if it's routing/DNS changes working their way through. I'll try rebooting my modem, router or both.
Nemo888
join:2005-12-25
Canada

Nemo888 to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Ottawa Richmond Rd. is a bit flaky today. Not down, just the occasional drop of all connections.

Dee from L5M

Anon

I've been offline since Aug 21.
My patience is wearing thin.

It's all good and well that the message being conveyed is that TSI is doing their best and working on restoring everyone best they can. But can someone explain to me just what it is they can really do? I imagine it's communicating with someone on Rogers end and issuing them a service ticket...then waiting. Is that really all that can be done? I'm thinking physical in nature. Sh!t's getting real over in the L5M. Just kidding, seriously I am.

At what point would you just call it a day and move on? If I call up Rogers and ask for that Teksavvy competitive package they're conveniently offering, how long before I'm up and running?
And can someone tell me if there are other providers that can offer me a turn around time of less than a day or two? DSL, Cable, Fibe...it doesn't matter at this point. Tethering has me close to my 6 gig cap and I don't plan on forking $$ in overage fees to Roger's in this scenario.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to awa0327

to awa0327
said by awa0327 :

I lost Internet yesterday morning and really. do not expect it back any time soon. done with tsi probably will go back to bell later today

The only interest Verizon has in Canada is for cell phones; nothing to do with wired connections. So that won't help at all. Verizon didn't even finish their FiOS roll out and what they rolled out is like really bad swiss cheese with a shit ton of holes in it.

Malik
@209.141.167.x

Malik

Anon

This is day 8 and no cable internet in Mississauga. I think there is law of the jungle here and no regulatory body is sensing this mega consumer issue.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to TSI Outages

Premium Member

to TSI Outages
FYI... New Outage Thread:

»[Outages] Outage Report 08/30/2013- morning update