share rss forum feed

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to mlerner

Re: [INTERNET] "Rogers" Ontario Outages Affect Start?

We've been connected to the APOI from the start, ie the only aggregated POI in Ontario for Rogers is the York Mills APOI.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Pete, you guys are not affected?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
No, everything is normal here. Sorry to hear you're having a rough day and hope they can take those links out of the ecmp soon. It's ridiculous they haven't at least enabled bfd yet - two lines of router config.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
ok thanks

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

We've been connected to the APOI from the start, ie the only aggregated POI in Ontario for Rogers is the York Mills APOI.

Well if Marc is questioning the fact that you guys are up.. there's an odd disconnect there at least.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
Reviews:
·VMedia
start and teksavvy need to take over rogers.... unless rogers customers are stupid ****'s and don't quit... more money to robellus...
brainwashed...

plus all the advertisement... posters in universities and colleges, on television, on the internet.... sheeple are gullible...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to mlerner
We should be generally immune from fibre cuts as we have protected circuits, which means there are two physical paths for each logical path.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by rocca:

We should be generally immune from fibre cuts as we have protected circuits, which means there are two physical paths for each logical path.

Are you talking about Start? Or all fibres? Because it is weird that Teksavvy always has people posting about Internet problems, but Start rarely sees any when if I understand correctly, everything up to York Mills or Front belongs to Rogers? I don't know... I'm confused lol.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
once the fibre leaves Rogers's building, it's up the the ISP to decide where it goes and how it gets there and what measures to put in place for redundancy.

my understanding with today's TSI/Rogers issue is 2 fibre cuts ended up doing way to much damage since Rogers didn't update their configuration to account for them going down, so it wasn't properly balancing it across the 8-10 others. of course if it was done right to begin with, it shouldn't have needed any manual intervention.

you might remember Start had an issue 2 months ago or so where their new 10GE went down because of equipment failure at Rogers.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
That was before the 10ge upgrade and prior to our protected path. It was a similar problem though where we needed Rogers to remove the routing back to us. I am sure there will be a renewed push to get Rogers to enable BFD on the links, it is so easy to do and I can't see the justification for not doing it.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
All of our links have been ordered with protected paths.. the first cut, apparently the protected path was not configured properly. This time, it was 2 links that don't yet have the protected path enabled.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

CANADIANSOUP

join:2011-06-27
Mississauga, ON
So Marc, when the Links w/protected paths were ordered, who was responsible to set it up and have it configured?

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada
Is this TSI or START forum?

rocca confirmed that this was never affecting start customers ... so, i think this thread should be closed.

Over and out.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
A forum, is place to have discussions. I believe that is what is going on here in this thread.

Robleh

join:2009-07-14
canada
reply to DrugTito
Open discussion calm y0self bud...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 edit
reply to CANADIANSOUP
said by CANADIANSOUP:

So Marc, when the Links w/protected paths were ordered, who was responsible to set it up and have it configured?

The redundant paths are transparent to us. They do that on their end. There is nothing to do on our side AFAIK.

edit: all 14 links were ordered in Jan or Feb of this year, they were all ordered with resilient paths.

--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

CANADIANSOUP

Mississauga, ON
AH I see, sloppy work at it's best

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
And just who are you saying is doing sloppy work?

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Marc
I still hesitate in being assured about 'resilient path' when talking about Rogers knowing they have no such thing on their own core network.

CANADIANSOUP

Mississauga, ON
reply to sbrook
I'm assuming it was Rogers that didn't configure the Links w/protected paths, hence my remark.. If I offended anyone....so sorry

If I did, I will no longer voice my opinion.. again sorry..

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

I still hesitate in being assured about 'resilient path' when talking about Rogers knowing they have no such thing on their own core network.

Really? I realize what I was taught in school is not always practiced in the working environment (hell the campus itself didn't follow what the programs taught in regards to networking) but shouldn't any enterprise core network be resilient, high availability and redundancy?

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to mlerner
I would be more than hesitant. We had several so called redundant connections from them that at various points in the network were carried on the same damn fibre pair.

Their idea of redundant is having multiple vlans over the same cable. Complete joke.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to CANADIANSOUP
No problem, just wasn't sure who you were directing it at ... first reaction was that you aimed it at TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to twizlar
And I've yet to see them do VLANs outside of some business connections.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

said by mlerner:

Really? I realize what I was taught in school is not always practiced in the working environment (hell the campus itself didn't follow what the programs taught in regards to networking) but shouldn't any enterprise core network be resilient, high availability and redundancy?

I think all of us involved in networking at some level know that, however, Rogers has typically gained their large profit margin by cutting corners and gambling the fate of their customers.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

but shouldn't any enterprise core network be resilient, high availability and redundancy?

Gotta remember that Rogers is first and foremost a CABLE company. Cable companies have a mentality that TV is nowhere near a critical service. That mentality has spread to internet. It improved with digital phone, but not enough to build in redundancy.

Bell's core networks have a better sense of the critical nature of their services. Sadly though, last mile wireline services have lost a lot of their critical nature in recent years.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Not that I disagree but Rogers provides several different business services over that cable and wireless network which should be considered 'critical'.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
I'm not saying that they don't provide services that should be considered critical ... but they certainly don't treat any aspect of their residential services as critical.

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by CANADIANSOUP:

The redundant paths are transparent to us. They do that on their end. There is nothing to do on our side AFAIK.

edit: all 14 links were ordered in Jan or Feb of this year, they were all ordered with resilient paths.

And no doubt they charge you extra for this but aren't even providing it(for some links). Theoretically this could happen to Start as well then if Robbers rips them off too(charging, not delivering)

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to mlerner
Just because you don't "see" them utilizing VLANs doesn't mean they don't.