how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gnl098

join:2013-08-29
Dartmouth, NS

Telus Screwed Me Now What?

So i broke my screen for my Galaxy Nexus a while ago. I called Telus and they told me to bring it to a Telus repair shop in my city to get it looked at. The repair shop told me they would send it away and wipe all the data off my phone.

Now this phone never backed up properly, when you plug it into the PC via USB nothing comes up, it acts like it was detected but when you try to access the files on the phone NOTHING. Wiping all my photos and work data was not an option, so they told me that my only option to avoid a data wipe would be to get it fixed myself.

Not knowing or being told by Telus that getting the phone fixed myself would void my warranty i did just that. The replacement screen from ebay was a dud and after being installed i brought it back to Telus. This is when they finally took the phone to see if it would backup on their computer which it wouldn't.

So should Telus have not checked to see if the phone would backup in the first place before recommending me to fix it myself?

This phone was broken from day 1 which puts Telus in void of contract. Should they have not looked at the manufacturer issue with my phone that was preventing the phone to backup? its obvious this backup issue isn't something that happens when a screen breaks.

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
kudos:1
Did you let them know about issues when you got the phone, at any time before it was repaired? Playing the devil's advocate, how does Telus know that when you installed the screen, that is when the issues started?

gnl098

Dartmouth, NS
Yes i had talked to Telus about the phone not backing up or connecting to the PC. After the screen broke i had the people on the phone multiple times saying that the phone never backed up as well.

bhazeltn
Premium
join:2011-01-18
Calgary, AB
reply to gnl098
Replacing any part on the device outside of an authorized repair facility would void the warranty. Shouldn't need Telus or anyone to tell you that. Any modification to the device voids the warranty, including installing a custom rom. Unless you purchased the insurance on the device breaking the screen isn't a warranty repair anyway.

Did you take the phone to Telus in regards to the not backing up issue as soon as you discovered it or wait until the screen was broken?

There are most likely many cell phone repair shops that could have replaced the screen for you and may provide some warranty on their work (HRM Phone Repair, LCD/Digitizer replacement is 220+ tax). Might be more expensive than doing it yourself but if the part is bad they would know before giving it back and use a different one.

gnl098

Dartmouth, NS
i talked to telus before the screen broke.. and not the average person is going to know everything about telus's warranty. i didnt

Zinc64

join:2013-03-13
Vancouver, BC
reply to gnl098
Taking anything apart on your own always voids the warranty...hardly TELUS's fault you didn't know that.
Also not sure why you thought the backup issue would just fix itself.

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
reply to gnl098
Ok, but why did you not pursue the backing up, not connecting issue? What about setting up a dropbox account on your phone and backing up your stuff like that? Or, X-Plore and backing up to your pc across the network? I'm not suggesting you are absolutely wrong here, just trying to get an idea of what went on.