join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1

Sprint about to move to Phase 2 of Network Vision

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
Any idea if the new sprint network is going to be gsm or are they remaining on the cdma network? The whole ability to surf/talk at the same time and receive text messages without interrupting data would be handy.. Its a nuisance trying to play an online game with a verizon 3g iphone 4 as every time someone calls, the connection is dropped, if you get a text, everything in the game pauses... It is annoying as all get out

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
CDMA - LTE based network

decifal

Bon Aqua, TN
hmm, wonder why.. Less its an improved version that can do voice/data at the same time.... I hate how verizon works atm.. Least on the iphone 4

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
pretty expensive to rebuild entire network and then give all your customers new devices and phones.

decifal

Bon Aqua, TN
I heard verizon's lte was actually a gsm technology?

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
but the voice is not , can you imagine the cost if you are sprint of giving out 40 million new handsets . A little costly

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to decifal
Technically sprint and verizon *could* do simultaneous voice and data... it would be really easy on LTE devices and it is even possible on CDMA/EVDO units... sadly they never saw this as worth the expense for dual radios.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to Max Signal
My Galaxy s3 does simultaneous voice and data on sprint LTE.
I can be talking to someone on speakerphone, and getting directions at the same time.

do I have something special no one else has?

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
yes, majority dual not have dual radio handsets . of course you already knew that . Just looking to stir the pot !

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

My Galaxy s3 does simultaneous voice and data on sprint LTE.

looks like the HTC EVO 4G and HTC Thunderbolt and LG Viper 4G and the Optimus Elite support SV-DO (giving them simultaneous voice and data on CDMA/EVDO) but I think you will see it mostly on phones with separate lte and cdma radios in the short term.

decifal

Bon Aqua, TN
reply to Max Signal
So basically if I want more phone options that can do voice/data/text without interruptions, my options are att/tmobile for the most part, but I can use Sprint/verizon for data only applications..

Well for my needs anyways... Sprint just turned on 4g in my area, as soon as my employment situation improves i'll be looking to signing up through Millinecom.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
Millenicom / Sprint service for Data and AT&T for voice if you have the coverage is the ideal scenario

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Millenicom has a soft 50 gig cap. Wireless 'n' WiFi offers the same service in an officially unlimited package, though they prefer their customers to stay under 100 gigs and they're somewhat more expensive than Millenicom.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to dib22
my Moto Photon Q does it as well.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Max Signal
Soon i'll have LTE, its live in the next town over from where I live.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to Max Signal
I can do simultaneous voice and data on Sprint even with my iPhone as long as the data is WiFi.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
You can do that on any phone . Doing Cellular and data over cellular airwaves is a different issue

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
Yep.