how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnnyGTO

join:2001-12-02
Fountain Hills, AZ

[AZ] Which way to jump?

I've been a USwstQwestCenturlink customer in Fountain Hills AZ since the Cisco 678(?) days. Service has been ok all these years but certainly not fast. All the recommendations I've received here regarding Cox has been negative, lots of daily failures out near the south of town.

Anyways I'd like more upload speed, I get 768k on a rare day (not many of those) with my current fastest available 7mb DSL plan but can't afford outages if cable is really that bad here.

Does anyone have a better idea of the state/future of broadband here and the best choice, cost isn't that big a concern.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by JohnnyGTO:

I've been a USwstQwestCenturlink customer in Fountain Hills AZ since the Cisco 678(?) days. Service has been ok all these years but certainly not fast. All the recommendations I've received here regarding Cox has been negative, lots of daily failures out near the south of town.

Anyways I'd like more upload speed, I get 768k on a rare day (not many of those) with my current fastest available 7mb DSL plan but can't afford outages if cable is really that bad here.

Does anyone have a better idea of the state/future of broadband here and the best choice, cost isn't that big a concern.

you can't afford outtages?, its this for a business? if so give CBS a ring[cox business services]
--
Despises any post with strings.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to JohnnyGTO

Was I only one one thinking Kris Kross when seeing the title? Jump jump! =)

But seriously, broadband is almost always going to beat out DSL. But then again most options beat out DSL. Its a little old in the tooth IMHO. I just wish Cox would consider a premium FTTP service. That would be so cool. A "Zero Latency" gamer reference would be a easy sell. Need more infrastructure for that you say? Cox, meet Google Fiber. And with their powers combined...

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to JohnnyGTO

A few things to remember.

You say :

All the recommendations I've received here regarding Cox has been negative

This is a help forum, you will almost never see someone posting here when they have good service. You will always see when people have bad service,

Cox has been fabulous for me. Service for over 10 years. I would say I haven't had more than 7 or 8 outages.

And two of them were major accidents or storms that took poles down.

Cox has a 30 day money back guarantee. Get both installed Side by side for a month and try it out.
The upload and speed is awesome with a 8 carrier D3 modem.

bleomycin

join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA
reply to JohnnyGTO

I can't speak specifically for your market, but if uptime is a real concern and cost isn't a major factor I would go with cox for your primary and keep the DSL around as a backup. You can easily set that up to happen automatically with the proper hardware (pfsense running on your choice of hardware makes that easy). Or just switch over manually in the event of an outage. Cox business service is going to cost you significantly more than that option and i don't believe they have an uptime SLA (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

I believe they do, or at least you can negotiate a SLA with the sales person. Boss has Cox Business at the CT office, and I think my brother too. I would say the dependability has been better then the residential. Good,maybe 3-4 outages a year, but I think at least 1 of those was power. I think what helped us is we had some electrical contractors come in and gut the place, and then Cox Business put in a new drop and we were golden. As long as you have a good install, dependable power and some redundancy, I think you will be quite satisfied. The same day technicians is always nice. And try to go wired LAN for your network if possible. Will save you so many wireless headaches.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Optimus2357

said by Optimus2357:

But seriously, broadband is almost always going to beat out DSL. But then again most options beat out DSL. Its a little old in the tooth IMHO. I just wish Cox would consider a premium FTTP service. That would be so cool. A "Zero Latency" gamer reference would be a easy sell. Need more infrastructure for that you say? Cox, meet Google Fiber. And with their powers combined...

Oh noooooooooo. gamers are the bane of any provider because the network not only has to work but it has to work WELL!
--
Despises any post with strings.

JohnnyGTO

join:2001-12-02
Fountain Hills, AZ
reply to JohnnyGTO

Word regarding the outages here is the outdoor equipment in some areas overheats in our balmy 110° days and dies. Not sure if it's older equipment or?

As for business account I'll check on it, the need to stay connected is the use of a microcell, netflix etc.(no paid TV) and I do work from home.

Yes everything important is hard wired for speed.
Again I was just interested in your opinions and experiences out here on the fringe.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Optimus2357

said by Optimus2357:

I don't think fiber can offer much in the way of better latency than cable. DSL for sure since most DSL implementations rely on interleaving, but latency to the border routers on HFC is pretty damn low, and "wirespeed" on optical, wireless, and copper media are all at the speed of light.