uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Poetique

Re: ETA on Charter increasing upload?

said by Poetique:

Pretty sure he meant streaming as in, streaming from his own console/PC, which does indeed use upload bandwidth.

That actually would use ZERO upload from Charter. He'd be uploading from his own home network.

chaud
Serious Business

join:2004-07-09
Anderson, SC
Reviews:
·Charter
said by 88615298:

said by Poetique:

Pretty sure he meant streaming as in, streaming from his own console/PC, which does indeed use upload bandwidth.

That actually would use ZERO upload from Charter. He'd be uploading from his own home network.

He is likely talking about streaming his gameplay, which uses lots more than zero bandwidth

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by chaud:

said by 88615298:

said by Poetique:

He is likely talking about streaming his gameplay, which uses lots more than zero bandwidth

YES, Or any one of +100 more ways to stream/upload something over the internet.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to chaud
said by chaud:

I assume they meant streaming content from one device in the household to another. Which does NOT use the internet

This is what I was replying to

said by Poetique:

Pretty sure he meant streaming as in, streaming from his own console/PC,

Poetique

join:2007-08-05
Birmingham, AL
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Poetique:

...I'm really hoping he isn't relying on his ISP's provided bandwidth for streaming purposes within his home, or yes, you'd be correct.

Given that you can't stream from your console to anything except to an outside destination, such as Twitch.tv or uStream, it seemed obvious to me that that's not what I was talking about.

And since he's on DSLR, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he comprehends that the bandwidth provided by his ISP has nothing to do with streaming amongst his own network as well, hence yes, streaming (Twitch, uStream, etc) does indeed require a pretty decent upload speed for the sake of having good quality.

Pervbear

join:2013-08-20
reply to 88615298
If only he meant streaming to other home devices but I am pretty sure he meant to places like switch or even uploading to youtube if you are a lets player can take quite a bit of upload.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Poetique
said by Poetique:

Given that you can't stream from your console to anything except to an outside destination, such as Twitch.tv or uStream, it seemed obvious to me that that's not what I was talking about.

Many use there Game box to stream movies on the local network also, it is just the client interface though between the Server and TV but it could be called streaming as you do use the game box/console to stream movies to the TV.

Poetique

Birmingham, AL
said by mmainprize:

Many use there Game box to stream movies on the local network also, it is just the client interface though between the Server and TV but it could be called streaming as you do use the game box/console to stream movies to the TV.

I can't really quite comprehend what you're trying to say, but it sounds as if you're saying that you can somehow take a stream being sent to your console and bounce it somewhere other than its primary display device (probably another TV/projector located elsewhere) to another location on your network. Which I doubt many would actually consider actually streaming seeing as the console wouldn't actually be the source. It would basically just be a glorified router.

Homegrown Xbox 1 media servers aside, as those aren't even really gaming consoles anymore.

Anywho... pretty sure just about everyone got the point behind what I was saying. By the normal definition of "streaming" as it relates to consoles, you need upstream bandwidth.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
No not like you described, since your game console has a remote control and is already connected to your TV, it is ideal to use as the interface to request a stream from a server on your local network, like WMC, Mezzmo, Plex, Serveio, XBMC, etc... and then the stream plays on the TV. The easy way is it use DLNA or in some cases it has a client app installed on the game console like in the Xbox case it has built in client for Windows Media Center.

And yes i agree you meant Streaming to the internet in your statement.

Poetique

Birmingham, AL
said by mmainprize:

No not like you described, since your game console has a remote control and is already connected to your TV, it is ideal to use as the interface to request a stream from a server on your local network, like WMC, Mezzmo, Plex, Serveio, XBMC, etc... and then the stream plays on the TV. The easy way is it use DLNA or in some cases it has a client app installed on the game console like in the Xbox case it has built in client for Windows Media Center.

And yes i agree you meant Streaming to the internet in your statement.

Ahh, I see. You misunderstood me then. I was specifically referring to streaming FROM the console, not TO. So while all of those are examples of streaming, the Xbox isn't the source in any of those cases. It's merely the receiving unit. Except in the case of XBMC (which could have a "console" as the source), but like I mentioned earlier, such units wouldn't really be deemed consoles anymore. They're basically HTPCs.

So as I stated before, the only typical situation to my knowledge in which a console can be used to stream is to an outside destination. You can stream to them, but streaming from them almost always has a destination outside of your own network.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Ok i see, you are correct the console is not the server, its just the interface and plays the stream.