Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oiadd8

join:2009-10-22
Richardson, TX

1 recommendation

Why Verizon is Giving the 2 button remotes for TV Service

I'm a tech. I can explain in laymans terms why we "dummied" down the remote for public use. First off I need to say that any "Universal" remote isn't truely universal. There are and will always be TVs, Generic or otherwise, that will not work with the remote. We went from a 4 button remote to a 2 button remote because we were constantly getting calls on programming a remote to equipment we don't even support: DVDs, VCRs, Stereo Systems, etc. Verizon offers a good service but we can't be accountable for 3rd party equipment because it detracts from giving support to people that actually need help with the Verizon equipment. Benefits of P265 remote are: 1) easier to use since there are just 2 device buttons (TV and STB), 2) coding to TV is way easier than old remotes. If you want a 4 button remote, you can still purchase it from the fios accessories store: »www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories ...thanks, just trying to be helpful

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

1 recommendation

I LIKE the two button remote.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to oiadd8

Your post makes perfect sense to me.

jgNJ

join:2008-05-20
Hightstown, NJ

2 recommendations

reply to oiadd8

I really object to paying extra for a 4 button remote. If you need a remote that pleases those who can't program it that's fine but don't charge people who want a 4 button remote extra.

rpjoe
Premium
join:2007-09-22
Rochelle Park, NJ
reply to oiadd8

i miss is the the tv function button. it was convenient changing some tv settings with the fios remote. not THAT big of a deal, i know.
--
~ FiOS ~ * UltimateHD * QIP7232-2 * 35/35rev.G * iPhone 5 64GB W *

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to oiadd8

said by oiadd8:

I'm a tech. I can explain in laymans terms why we "dummied" down the remote for public use. First off I need to say that any "Universal" remote isn't truely universal. There are and will always be TVs, Generic or otherwise, that will not work with the remote. We went from a 4 button remote to a 2 button remote because we were constantly getting calls on programming a remote to equipment we don't even support: DVDs, VCRs, Stereo Systems, etc. Verizon offers a good service but we can't be accountable for 3rd party equipment because it detracts from giving support to people that actually need help with the Verizon equipment. Benefits of P265 remote are: 1) easier to use since there are just 2 device buttons (TV and STB), 2) coding to TV is way easier than old remotes. If you want a 4 button remote, you can still purchase it from the fios accessories store: »www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories ...thanks, just trying to be helpful

Thanks for the explanation. I am just fine with the two button remote.
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to oiadd8

I use all the buttons on the 4-button remote. I find it very convenient that I can control the volume on my A/V receiver (as well as turn it on and off) using the same remote. It is programmed to always defer to the receiver for the volume control since that's what I use to listen to FiOS through. It also controls the basic functions on my DVD player.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to oiadd8

My four button remote runs my Pioneer VSX-4000 made in 1986 so if the Universal remote can run that I'm sure there's not much it can't run.

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
reply to oiadd8

Anyone that runs their audio through an external device (amplifier, receiver, etc) needs more than a two button remote. Three of my seven boxes use an external audio source so a two button remote is worthless in those situations. In one case I use a Logitec remoter, which is superior to anything you can get from Fios. In the other two I use the old silver peanut style remotes that I have left over from my Comcast days, about 7 or 8 years ago. Every button they have is clearly labeled and functions with every Fios STB I have ever had, including the current 7232-2. You can get one on eBay for a few bucks.

For the other four STB's I use the older four button Fios remote. Not the one with the large gaudy buttons but the dark gray one with the smaller buttons that just has the Verizon logo at the very bottom.
--
Go Heels!

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

My four button remote runs my Pioneer VSX-4000 made in 1986 so if the Universal remote can run that I'm sure there's not much it can't run.

It isn't about not being able to support older equipment, it is about supporting newer equipment. Manufacturers add new codes regularly - every time they add a new "remote" feature they create a new remote codeset. This is why you'll see a single manufacturer with many codesets, even for the same type of device.

It is not unusual for someone to have a three-year old universal remote to purchase a brand new TV, only to find that the remote either will not work with the TV at all or only some features will work with the TV.

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA

said by Shady Bimmer:

said by Andy from CA:

It isn't about not being able to support older equipment, it is about supporting newer equipment. Manufacturers add new codes regularly - every time they add a new "remote" feature they create a new remote codeset. This is why you'll see a single manufacturer with many codesets, even for the same type of device.

It is not unusual for someone to have a three-year old universal remote to purchase a brand new TV, only to find that the remote either will not work with the TV at all or only some features will work with the TV.

You'd think they'd keep the same codes for features carried over from the old model (volume for example) and the new features without codes would get new codes.

I don't see why a whole new set of codes is necessary.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Andy from CA:

You'd think they'd keep the same codes for features carried over from the old model (volume for example) and the new features without codes would get new codes.

It isn't a whole new set of codes. When you program your remote you pick a codeset. Universal remotes apply an entire codeset together (you don't pick individual codes separately for each function/button) Those codesets are predefined and each of which is a single set of known mappings of functions to transmitted codes. This is why you may find one codeset that only partly works - it has some mappings for a device but not all.

It is about codesets, not individual codes. Unless you have an advanced programmable universal remote you can only apply an entire predefined codeset to a particular device. Any new codes would not be part of any existing codesets, and so would not be known or usable by an existing (older) universal remote.

There are more advanced universal remotes that are far more flexible and far more appropriate for those with more than just an STB and TV. There are literally hundreds of options to choose from.

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA

said by Shady Bimmer:

said by Andy from CA:

It isn't a whole new set of codes. When you program your remote you pick a codeset. Universal remotes apply an entire codeset together (you don't pick individual codes separately for each function/button) Those codesets are predefined and each of which is a single set of known mappings of functions to transmitted codes. This is why you may find one codeset that only partly works - it has some mappings for a device but not all.

If the power & volume on the Verizon remote work I'm happy.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Andy from CA:

If the power & volume on the Verizon remote work I'm happy.

There are many that would not agree, but to be honest this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. You mentioned that because the VZ remote works with your 27 year old receiver that it should work with about anything. I responded why that would not be true.

And to be completely honest, the remote that comes with an AVR is probably far more appropriate as a universal remote to also control TV and STB than the VZ remote would be. And again - those that have more than just the FiOS STB and a TV would be far better served by choosing among the hundreds of alternatives that are available. I'm scratching my head why there are those that seem to think VZ should provide a free universal remote that works with everything they have.

Nobody "needs" (to quote another poster) a four-button remote, or even any universal remote for that matter. The native remotes that come with each device serve the purpose well, and for convenience/simplicity/WAF factor if such a single universal remote is actually "needed" I will note one more time there are hundreds of alternatives available that would do a better job. There is no need for VZ to provide free-of-charge a "four-button" universal remote.

You'd think there would be more things to complain about than no longer receiving a free four-button remote from VZ.

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA
reply to jgNJ

said by jgNJ:

I really object to paying extra for a 4 button remote. If you need a remote that pleases those who can't program it that's fine but don't charge people who want a 4 button remote extra.

Couldn't agree more! One button push powers up my TV, STB & Stereo while the volume runs my stereo. One more push and everything is off.

Why not give the 4 button as a free option for HD STBs? Another encouragement to step up and put SD only boxes in the rear view.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

It's not the cost of the remotes that's at issue, for Verizon. Read what the op wrote. The issue is in the fact that their reps have to field calls from customers who can't get the remotes to work. The more complex the remotes are, the more calls they get. The more calls they get, the harder it is for customers with real technical issues to get through. Considering how cheap some universal remotes are, I'm not sure why this is an issue. Yes, you'll have to pay extra to get everything you want, but so what? They're going to provide a configuration that works for a vast majority of their customer base.

Personally I like the 2 button remotes. It simplifies the set-up. Yes, I can see where it would be a pain in the butt if you have a separate receiver for your sound. Most consumers don't. For a vast majority of consumers the setup centers around their TV -the TV supplies the audio as well.

I would have no issue with Verizon offering up 4 button remotes for free to consumers who request them, but the real cost to Verizon comes in the form of phone traffic for their tech center.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

"older" people generally had an issue with the 4 button remote. If aux or dvd was pressed, it screwed them up. Not to mention if TV was pressed, and MENU was hit, sometimes the menu for the television was brought up instead of the STB menu. I know of a few that actually cancelled their service due to the old REMOTES. Two button remotes are much much simpler for people.

In a perfect world, yes, Verizon would have both available on installation day, but theres just too many supplies and equipment needed for every installation as it is.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

said by ITALIAN926:

"older" people generally had an issue with the 4 button remote. If aux or dvd was pressed, it screwed them up. Not to mention if TV was pressed, and MENU was hit, sometimes the menu for the television was brought up instead of the STB menu. I know of a few that actually cancelled their service due to the old REMOTES. Two button remotes are much much simpler for people.

In a perfect world, yes, Verizon would have both available on installation day, but theres just too many supplies and equipment needed for every installation as it is.

So your anecdotes speak for the other millions using FiOS?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

I'd bet the farm there has been a huge drop in complaints about the remote, so yea. Majority rules.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Actually, I've heard similar things. A former coworker has FiOS, and his elderly mother lives with him. She basically couldn't watch TV without his assistance because of, yes, the remote. And for the reason that you mention. And I bet you're right - the number of complaints have probably dropped as a result.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to oiadd8

I had almost no problem in switching from DirecTV's four-button remote to Verizon's two-button remote.

I'm used to the separate DVD and AppleTV remotes that I already have. I suppose a universal remote would reduce clutter a bit but I don't feel any real need to buy one or ask Verizon to provide one.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to oiadd8

How does someone use a remote with only two buttons? am i missing something? Just with power, volume, mute, play, pause, FF, rew, record, etc is a bunch of buttons. How exactly does a two button remote work?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

2-button vs. 4-button is the designation for a 2 device remote vs. a 4-device remote.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

How does someone use a remote with only two buttons? am i missing something? Just with power, volume, mute, play, pause, FF, rew, record, etc is a bunch of buttons. How exactly does a two button remote work?

It's logarithmic, & very simple actually.. For example for mute on the new Fios remote you Press buton # one 3 times, & then button # two once...
Logically, therefore, you can quickly see how volume up would be button # one 5 times, & button # two 6 times, .. record is button # one 2 times followed by button # two eight times ...
You get the idea ...

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

Top Row device buttons
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to aaronwt

Sarcasm smiley is missing from this post!

said by aaronwt:

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

The button on the left is the power button. The button on the right takes basic commands (volume up, play) input via Morse code.

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
reply to ITALIAN926

I see the potential here for a new line of products. Brought to you by the makers of the Jitterbug flip phone, the Jitterbug remote for seniors. Three gigantic buttons on the front. One says Power, push once for on and push again for off. One says Volume, push once for loud and once again for really loud. And one says Channel, you just keep pushing it till you see something you like. Like HSN. What else do we need? We can just leave the TV powered on all the time and use it as a night light.

OK, maybe an additional button with a heart on it that we can push when we fall and can't get up.
--
Go Heels!

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

Don't laugh, you'll get there yourself, someday. LOL
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to Tarheel72

said by Tarheel72:

Like HSN.

When my octogenarian parents used to go to Fla for the winter I swear they had the Weather Channel on all day.

I've been using Harmony remotes for years but the last I remember from the provided remote, you could lock the volume control to a specific device (the TV or a receiver) regardless of what Device button had been pushed.