Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

percy

join:2007-06-02
Eden Prairie, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Any centurylink dsl issues in 55347 area ?

In the last week or two have there been any issues with centurylink dsl in the 55347 area ? This was formerly Qwest. I have been having some video streaming issues(Hulu+) and tests show packets dropped on upload and erratic download. Did they make any changes ? because my modem (C1000A) used to report 20-21Mbps down for capacity/connection-type and now it says 26Mbps download. Upload is the same.

Speaking of tests I generally uses myspeed.visualware.com but not sure how reliable it is. What is a good test out there that will give me more in depth details like packet retransmits, tcp delay etc..

FLEABttn

join:2002-10-09
Albuquerque, NM
I am not in your area but my CL former Quest area is dropping packets starting today in 87120.

Alucard

join:2013-04-20
Minneapolis, MN
reply to percy
over here at 55434 and haven't noticed anything

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to percy
What are your signal levels on the modem?

Your speed might have been bumped up by the system to a speed your line can no longer support. but in all honesty when i had the C1000A it was a piece of garbage.

On my single pair 40/5 line it could only sustain a stable connection at 20/1.2, but the XyXEL C1000Z would sync at 40/3.5 and hold it for days just fine.

I'd call CL and complain and demand a different modem if i were in your situation (i've honestly never had great luck with Actiontec modems - they just suck in my opinion)

percy

Eden Prairie, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

DSL Errors
just saw the news today the CL bumped up speeds so that explains the new sync speed.
I am running a smokeping test right now and am attaching a screen shot of the modem dsl status page that is showing some crc and fec errors. Isn't that something of concern ? How should I approach this ?

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Those numbers are awful, no wonder why you're having issues. Try plugging the modem in directly at the NID and see if your SNR margins improve (I usually shoot for at least 10 each)

If you get okay signal levels outside, then your wiring in your house cannot support your new speed.

percy

Eden Prairie, MN
Are the SNR/Power numbers ok ? or abnormal ?
Tell me a little bit more about FEC. Is the FEC normal or high ?
Asuming there were no CRC errors but only FEC then does it affect real time streaming performance ?

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
Your power levels look OK but your download SNR is too low. I'm getting 15db. You probably have a noisy line or one side is grounded or has a corroded connection or something. Your up and down attenuation is showing zero because the modem doesn't have updated firmware to make that function work. You should be getting around 12/4db for that.

Alucard

join:2013-04-20
Minneapolis, MN
reply to percy
Usually FEC's are caused by noisy or unreliable lines so pretty on par with your SNR

percy

Eden Prairie, MN
funny the tech rep on the phone said higher snr is bad and 6db is where it should be.