Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

k2rj
Premium
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL

[TV] Intermittent pixellation on certain SDV channels

At the end of our condo association board meeting yesterday, one of the owners was describing the saga she had gone through over the past several months dealing with Bright House field techs on an intermittent HD-channel pixellation issue. The first tech said it was a bad cable between the in-condo splitter and her TV. Once she found out how difficult it was going to be to replace that cable (this is a bulk contract, so the Condo and/or owners are responsible for the cabling past the entry splitter), she asked to try a temporary cable first to make sure it would fix the problem. The second tech then actually found a bad connector that was causing the original cable to test bad, fixed it, and all appeared to work.... until after he left and it started in with the pixellation again. The third tech looked at the system, found the RF levels to be adequate and then mentioned to the owner that this is a common problem that is happening somewhere in the B-H system and there is nothing more he could do. Others at the meeting then mentioned that they had been experiencing the same problems.

My upstairs neighbor, who was at the meeting, is a long-retired engineer and he was telling me that he had been seeing similar symptoms on two financial channels he often watches, 1220 and 1221 (Fox Business and Bloomberg.) His first complaint was that the channels would "time-out" after 3 hours and require him to press the "A" button on his remote. I told him that this is normal operation for SDV channels and he understood the concept. However, these channels would also sometimes pixellate (between timeouts) and he could get them back clearly by either pressing the "A" button or changing channels and then returning.

Before we go any further with this, I guess I'd like to find out if this is indeed a system-wide known problem or if the 3rd tech was just blowing smoke.... I have not seen any of this myself, but I don't think I watch that many SDV channels...which seems to be the common thread.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139

It was not system wide and I can only tell you what was going on by looking at specifics...sorry...if you want to get me the usual info I'll be able to better answer the question.

k2rj
Premium
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL

I figured that, but thought I'd ask just for completeness! If I have a chance tomorrow, I'll get Harold signed-up here and walk him through a direct forum post. Unfortunately, these types of problems and non-solutions cause a lot of bad-mouthing of BHN around the condo (and being on the board, I hear about it!) No worries though, as we just signed a 5-year contract, so we have a bit of time to turn things around!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139

said by k2rj:

I figured that, but thought I'd ask just for completeness! If I have a chance tomorrow, I'll get Harold signed-up here and walk him through a direct forum post. Unfortunately, these types of problems and non-solutions cause a lot of bad-mouthing of BHN around the condo (and being on the board, I hear about it!) No worries though, as we just signed a 5-year contract, so we have a bit of time to turn things around!

I completely understand and appreciate you bringing it to my attention...once I get the details I will address all of the above.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~