spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tcwatkins
join:2005-04-28
Silver Spring, MD

tcwatkins

[Northeast] FIOS and Amazon Streaming

Only saw this topic mentioned once in passing on here. I have the 50/25 plan and stream HD movies from Amazon to my Blu-ray player. Amazing image quality. Lately I've been having slow downs in streaming from like 18 mbps to 0.4, and it says contact my ISP. I've hopped online on my PC and did a speed test during a slowdown and got like 52/24. I also tried Netflix and got perfect streaming. After a couple weeks of this I called Amazon, who told me to unplug and replug in the Blu-ray player. It worked for about 10 minutes then went down again. Called Amazon again and the basically said it's FIOS fault and Netflix streams at a much lower speed so they aren't affected.

Does anyone else have similar problems? Is Amazon full of BS or is this some sort of a peering issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tia. Tim

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

When it slows on your bluray stream, can you stream on the pc and get similar results?
tcwatkins
join:2005-04-28
Silver Spring, MD

tcwatkins

Good question, next time it does it I'll see.
tcwatkins

tcwatkins

Strange. My HD stream drops down from around 10-20 to 0.4 but I can stream it ok to my iPad through the Amazon app, probably SD, while the Blu-ray player Amazon player is still trying to load. So does this mean it may be a problem with the Blu-ray player, not the FIOS connection or the Amazon server?

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to tcwatkins

to tcwatkins
I would recommend testing more devices and see if you see similar results. Problem with a blu ray player is there is no gui to troubleshoot like a pc.

Are there any other stream services besides amazon on the blu ray player? That could help eliminate hardware related problems

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to tcwatkins

Premium Member

to tcwatkins
The BlueRay player probably has almost no memory for buffering, where as a PC or tablet has gigabytes. So on the BlueRay, if there is a momentary slow down, its effected, on PC's it buffered minutes ahead and is not effected

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

Bluray players have anywhere from 512MB to 8gb of buffering as well, the blu-ray readers are still notoriously slow and the buffer is required for smooth play back.
SIOYGYG
join:2011-01-08
Tampa, FL

SIOYGYG

Ditch the blu-ray player and get a PS3
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to tcwatkins

Premium Member

to tcwatkins
said by tcwatkins:

Good question, next time it does it I'll see.

If your player supports it - try Vudu (100% pay-per-view, no monthly charges). Their HDX stream uses even more bandwidth than Amazon HD (on my Sony BD player).

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 edit

guppy_fish to danclan

Premium Member

to danclan
Not a chance, you would be lucky if the entire main memory of a BlueRay player is 512MB, which the kernel / os uses most of it.

A common work-a-round is to use an external USB memory stick, most BlueRay players that stream Netflix and other services support this, my LG does and recommends a 2GB stick for this very reason

»www.amazon.com/NetFlix-S ··· 02PHM0XQ

»www.avsforum.com/t/13993 ··· ers-suck

»forum.vudu.com/showthrea ··· uffering