All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Need a low latency ISP that covers rural CNY.

Since I am a gamer and have been playing games online I can not go with satellite based internet. I am going to be moving again soon, back out into the country, six to eight miles outside the City I am currently residing in (Auburn, NY) to a trailer park in Port Byron, NY. I am moving there because the rent is cheap and even cheaper if I buy the trailer I am moving into. My main concern is finding an low latency service provider that will serve me out there. I've looked into Verizon Home Fusion but am undecided due to the low caps and overages even if the latency is better than satellite. I am wondering what other options may be available that is not satellite. I checked Clear 4G but their website claims they can not serve that address.

It really sucks because Verizon could technically expand Fios out that way, it is populated enough and is near a City and a Village. Cable stops just down the road and I have no idea why they won't expand just a bit further to cover the trailer park I will be moving to. I've been looking into T1 or fractional T1 but the cost is beyond what I can afford. So basically my other options is a 3G or 4G provider but who? Who would cover the area and have a decent plan that isn't as constrained as Home Fusion?

Thanks.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

New York, like most states, is participating in the Federal broadband mapping project.

»nysbroadband.ny.gov/

Check to see if there are any high speed providers at your new location.

/tom
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

I know all about the funding and project. However the only high speed options are satellite and possibly Home Fusion afaik. I am trying to find if there is anything else with low latency that is affordable and with no caps or caps more lenient than the aforementioned options above. My parents told me a Verizon tech said Fios would be coming out there but I doubt it. The trailer park isn't even that far outside the villages and city so it's kind of stupid that satellite, dial up, (possibly Home Fusion) are the only options out there.

Edit: Where do I check on that website?
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Still awaiting a reply..
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Does anyone know what tschmidt was referring to? Still awaiting a reply back from him.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax

said by Xtreme2damax:The trailer park isn't even that far outside the villages and city so it's kind of stupid that satellite, dial up, (possibly Home Fusion) are the only options out there.

How many others want it there. If its just you and are just outside currecnt range then not likely?

How big a park and how many want it? Large enough and all demand that might do it.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
He was referring to a FCC program that had the states get data from ISPs about the areas they claim to provide service in. The maps are bogus self serving documents for the ISPs and provide no accurate information for potential residential customers.

You are going to be within Sprint 3G territory. See Millenicom about the 50GB plan at »millenicom.com/plans/#un ··· ted-plan for $80/month. Millenicom buys Sprint service in bulk and resells it.

"The unlimited service is for personal and family use and is not to be used for commercial purposes or as a public WiFi or broadcast to multi-dwelling units or any other extraordinary circumstance. Usage over 50 gigabytes in one month will alert our investigative team."

NEVER go over 50GB per month or you will suffer in many painful ways. No, not even by 1 Byte should you go over the 50GB limit. Remember that the monthly limit is the combination of download usage and upload usage.

If my math is correct, 50GB theoretically equals 53,687,091,200 Bytes. But a lot of ISPs use 1000 as the multiplier and not 1024, so 50GB means 50,000,000,000 Bytes. I would use that lower limit to coexist with the ISP in peace and harmony.

Other than that, Millenicom gave me excellent service when I used them.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Xtreme2damax

MVM

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

Does anyone know what tschmidt was referring to?

Did you go to the NY site I posted?

From Home >> NYS Mapping Project >> click here
Various maps showing availability and provider info for different areas of the state.

/tom
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

said by tschmidt:

said by Xtreme2damax:

Does anyone know what tschmidt was referring to?

Did you go to the NY site I posted?

From Home >> NYS Mapping Project >> click here
Various maps showing availability and provider info for different areas of the state.

/tom

Yes but it doesn't give me the information I need. I need a list of service providers that serve my specific address. Forget DSL, I really went on a wild goose chase with that. I live in a 3G only area so my only hope for 4G is to buy an antenna similar to what Verizon Home Fusion uses. Satellite is too high latency and too low data caps. T1 is way to expensive for my income and I am not even sure if that is an option even if I had the money. Ffs I am not that far outside the local city and village, there has got to be another option besides dial up, satellite, 3G..
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Woot! After almost nine friggin years the only options that are available are dial up, satellite and weak latency ridden 3G. It's almost as if satellite companies have a monopoly on semi-rural and rural areas outside the city to prevent other companies from servicing us. Not only like 500 feet away the road that runs right by us can get TDS but we can't. I got quite upset because I got the runaround from both Earthlink and Verizon on DSL availability for nearly a month and now have to ship back equipment I can't use. The Earthlink/Verizon website said DSL was available at my address and the reps over the phone said I could get DSL. Tried to set up an Earthlink account twice unsuccessfully. Both times the order came back rejected from the vendor Earthlink support claimed. So we tried calling Verizon to find out why and their support rep claimed they didn't resell to Earthlink and I would have to get DSL through them. The Verizon rep also said I can get DSL over the phone so I order DSL service. Received a phone call a day or two after receiving the equipment that I couldn't get DSL at the time because there wasn't an available port at the terminal. Waited almost a few weeks and tried through DSLExtreme, at first it seemed like I was finally going to be able to get DSL. The day that the Verizon tech comes out he gives me a call right before he is to show up and informs me I may not be able to get DSL since I am apparently too far out but says he will try to do what he can. After working up the road for a bit he calls to confirm he couldn't get DSL to sync even at the slowest possible speed, what a waste of my time and rise of anxiety for nothing. Ffs where I live is only around a fifteen minute drive outside the city and a ten minute drive outside the local village, it's ridiculous and I should have other options available besides satellite, dial up or crappy 3G especially after nine years. At the very least a DSL terminal or cell towers that can offer 4G should be built closer to my location if fiber or cable can't reach me.

I feel like calling the cable, fiber and cell companies every day and bug them until they get the hint and decide to extend service to us.