share rss forum feed

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

[iO] "Plugged In" TV Show

As many here may be aware, MSG Varsity on channel 14/714 has been replaced by the Optimum Channel. I decided to check out the channel. If you are into all of the technology that makes up a cable system (odds are you wouldn't be here if you weren't) you got to check out "Plugged In." They basically go over everything that makes Cablevision tick. It's actually pretty cool!

ilsno

@optonline.net

Re: [iO] "Plugged In" TV Show

I'm sorry but I find this new channel to be an utter waste. Not sure who they expect their audience to be but I can't envision the average customer giving a hoot about this. People want content.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
reply to mbernste

As useless as this channel is, I'm gonna check "Plugged In" out, sounds like something I would watch. Thanks for the info!

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to mbernste

interesting.
someone should record this and put it up on youtube (if it doesnt get taken down by CV).
i dont expect this channel to last very long.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to mbernste

said by mbernste:

If you are into all of the technology that makes up a cable system (odds are you wouldn't be here if you weren't) you got to check out "Plugged In." They basically go over everything that makes Cablevision tick. It's actually pretty cool!

Thanks for the tip, i'll check it out.
--
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
reply to mbernste

Sounds like my kind of show, thanks for posting about it mbernste See Profile.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

interesting.
someone should record this and put it up on youtube (if it doesnt get taken down by CV).

Already ahead of you.

»youtu.be/ezUZtvNZ4Fk

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
reply to mbernste

Thanks for posting this, really cool stuff!

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
reply to mbernste

A really awesome insight into how things work at a cable company in general, and CV in particular.
Thanks for posting, mbernste !

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to mbernste

its interesting except for the 5 minute long "commercials" promoting Optimum

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ

said by IllIlIlllIll:

its interesting except for the 5 minute long "commercials" promoting Optimum

Yeah, well there are ads within the show for other Optimum services. Don't think they could be easily edited out. Also admittedly the show is a good PR show for Cablevision in general.

It was interesting to see them talk about what they had to do during the aftermath of Sandy.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to mbernste

Just watched. Pretty neat

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to mbernste

The show is a neat idea. Not sure I learned too much. But anything much more "technical" wouldn't likely resonate with many viewers.

Hopefully this channel (promo reel) is just a placeholder.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by limegrass69:

Hopefully this channel (promo reel) is just a placeholder.

im pretty confident it is just a "placeholder" that will stick around for a certain time.
--

iotv

@mycingular.net

My favorite part of the video is when the former military guy, talks about how optimum workers would rather be at work than off or at home during a holiday.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY

said by iotv :

My favorite part of the video is when the former military guy, talks about how optimum workers would rather be at work than off or at home during a holiday.

Doug Warren. What makes you think he's ex-military?

I think he was getting a little over-excited over the dedication of his folks to their job

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV

said by cablewizzard:

Doug Warren. What makes you think he's ex-military?

He said he was ex-military
--
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."

tiger_scout

join:2010-02-20
reply to mbernste

During the show one manager in the network control room said the workers would rather be there than have a day off or vacation.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by tiger_scout:

During the show one manager in the network control room said the workers would rather be there than have a day off or vacation.

now if they could get the CSR center to perform the same way, then all would be great.
--

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
reply to mbernste

Actually very interesting. Thanks for posting.
--
Ken

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to mbernste

I actually think this channel is a really good idea. It helps promote the service and offers troubleshooting and tips.

DirecTV has a channel just like this. It's useless if you think its useless but for new customers it can be useful.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

Aside from this show, there are others on the channel. One is a "How to ..." show that has short clips on how to do things such as how to connect your device (iPhone/iPad, PC, Mac, Kindle) to their WiFi network. These have the same set of instruction animations in each with the only difference being the device specific info on how to register for the network. They also do not bother to mention the CableWiFi network as an alternative to the OOLWiFi (or whatever it is called) network name.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ

said by RARPSL:

Aside from this show, there are others on the channel. One is a "How to ..."

Yes, I sort-of fast forwarded through that show since I basically knew everything. I didn't post about it here since the typical user of this forum knows all the how-to stuff they talk about.
said by RARPSL:

They also do not bother to mention the CableWiFi network as an alternative to the OOLWiFi (or whatever it is called) network name.

Yeah, I observed the same thing. I guess they decided to do that just in case they leave the consortium of cable companies participating then they don't have to re-do that segment of the video. Also from past experience my ability to connect via CableWiFi has been hit or miss using my Cablevision/Optimum primary ID but always works when using my Comcast/Xfinity primary ID (always have a backup).